PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting my deposit back...

2»

Comments

• jenberry wrote: »
    To be honest, I doubt he'd be taking me to court for £1,500. With regards to the noise, there was no way I would have known any of that before moving in. The viewing was on an evening and the landlord assured me it was always that quiet. I shouldn't have taken him at his word, my fault.

I would take you to court for £1500 if you left early - I'm not sure why you think he wouldn't, it's only £70 in small claims.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jenberry wrote: »
    Thank you. I don't believe so, as the annex is considered part of the larger house, so my council tax is not separate, and is included in the rent.
    Then you're very probably a lodger, not a tenant, since you live in the same property as your landlord.

Check whether they're separate or the same property: https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Then you're very probably a lodger, not a tenant, since you live in the same property as your landlord.

Check whether they're separate or the same property: https://www.gov.uk/council-tax-bands
    It really isn't as simple as looking at the council tax!
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    G_M wrote: »
    I agree, though it does help if it was the other way and the OP did have a separate council tax valuation
  • AdrianC
    G_M wrote: »
    No, it isn't - which is why I said "very probably", rather than simply stating it.

If you're arguing over whether the landlord is resident or not, whether you're talking about one property or two is a rather important detail...
  • jenberry
    jenberry Posts: 107 Forumite
    Hello,
    I have just checked the contract and it is entitled 'Lodger Agreement', so I am a lodger and not a tenant. Does this change anything?
  • AdrianC
    It means the landlord does not have to put your deposit into one of the protections schemes.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hello,
    I have just checked the contract and it is entitled 'Lodger Agreement', so I am a lodger and not a tenant. Does this change anything?
    It could say that you're the new Queen on it, that doesn't make it so.

Your status as either a lodger or a tenant depends on the circumstances, not on what it says on the agreement. If you want a better idea then take a look at the Shelter Tenancy Checker...
    http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/downloads_and_tools/tenancy_checker
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 15 December 2017 at 8:35PM
    Hello,
    No.

Whether you are an 'Excluded Occcupier' (ie a lodger excluded from Housing Act protection) rather than a tenant is a matter of law.

What it says on your contract does not define your status. The law does. The contract could say you are a Martian, but that would not make you non-human.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure