PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Comments

• JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    Had a quick read through some of the posts (41 pages....wowsers)...

Think we must have been lucky, had 20 viewings in the first week and 6 offers, three of which above the Home Report Valuation. Offer accepted within 10 days of been put on the market! But I can tell you that keeping the house tidy for the initial EA valuation and then photos and viewings was a tad stressful - just so lucky it happened so quickly.

The EA did all the viewings himself and been a professional photographer, the pictures made the house look even more appealing - just something to think about, maybe a change of EA would help those on the market for some time.
  • Gru14
    Gru14 Posts: 19 Forumite
    Just wanted to send positive thoughts to you all on this Monday. May October bring you viewings and offers galore!

Obviously I feel like I've got more hope winning the lottery and moving to Mars than actually receiving any positive news from the EA but you know, trying to be positive ! :D
  • JP1978 wrote: »
    Had a quick read through some of the posts (41 pages....wowsers)...

Think we must have been lucky, had 20 viewings in the first week and 6 offers, three of which above the Home Report Valuation. Offer accepted within 10 days of been put on the market! But I can tell you that keeping the house tidy for the initial EA valuation and then photos and viewings was a tad stressful - just so lucky it happened so quickly.

The EA did all the viewings himself and been a professional photographer, the pictures made the house look even more appealing - just something to think about, maybe a change of EA would help those on the market for some time.

Try keeping it at showhome standard for 19 months!

Glad you had a quick sale.

sending positive vibes to everyone this week. Lots of houses getting sold in our area lately, so fingers crossed for you all. x
  • GBR78
    GBR78 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Can we join the party now?

This is the start of the journey for us, having only just had the EA's round for valuation. They have both agreed with one another on the value which is quite a chunk more than we had thought ourselves, but that said the local area has undergone some fairly significant regeneration recently (and continues to do so) so this may have a bearing that we hadn't considered.

Our last property (first house) sold within a week of going to market. We hadn't even signed off the approval for the details before the first viewer, which ended up being the buyer, was around for their tour. That was just before the collapse in 2008 though, so i'm under no illusions that this one will be as easy.

Anyway, EA instructed, photos being taken this week. Lets see how long this journey lasts!
  • Gru14
    GBR78 wrote: »
    Can we join the party now?

This is the start of the journey for us, having only just had the EA's round for valuation. They have both agreed with one another on the value which is quite a chunk more than we had thought ourselves, but that said the local area has undergone some fairly significant regeneration recently (and continues to do so) so this may have a bearing that we hadn't considered.

Our last property (first house) sold within a week of going to market. We hadn't even signed off the approval for the details before the first viewer, which ended up being the buyer, was around for their tour. That was just before the collapse in 2008 though, so i'm under no illusions that this one will be as easy.

Anyway, EA instructed, photos being taken this week. Lets see how long this journey lasts!

My advice to you would be to go with your gut on price, not what the EA says. That comes from experience of listing at too high a price based on 5/6 valuations and having to reduce due to crappy market at the moment.
    Get it right first time to avoid anguish!
  • GBR78
    GBR78 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Don't get me wrong, we're not taking the advice of the EA's as gospel. We were extremely surprised at what they are saying it's worth and so are working towards the bottom of their price estimates rather than the top end. This will give us enough to play with to do what we want to do as far as moving on is concerned. Our estimate was touch and go as to if we would be at a point that would work so settling on something in between is a compromise that I think works.

It has been very hard for us to gauge our own estimate anyway as we are a bit of an anomaly in the area. We are a 30's detached property on a long busy road. There is only one other 30's detached house on the entire road, and that is next door. The two houses next to that are 1930's semis and then the rest of the road is a mixture. Towards the end that we live on there is mainly victorian terrace/semi's, towards the other end is mainly flats. Similar houses on nearby roads command good values due to their location and plot sizes, and we completely understand that, comparitively, we are in a less fortunate location. We were the last to buy in the cluster of 30's properties with the neighbours having all been in for a number of years before us (and we've been in 8 years) so have no ideal comparison to make.

We feel we have been realistic by not heading towards the upper limit of the valuations as we understand that it is not a property that we would consider ourselves at that sort of price, but in looking at the local alternatives now we can see where it would sit at the asking price.
  • Hi All

Havent posted for a while 1, due to work commitments and 2, cos I was getting fed up of the whole 'selling my house' thing.

Gru and Raven Queen, I also got fed up with people telling me 'be patient' and 'it will happen'.

Anyway had another viewing booked for Friday which then cancelled :mad: and this weekend I was really down with it all, I think going into another month without selling was getting to me. Anyhow, this morning our agent rang to book a viewing and lo and behold we have had an offer which we have accepted!! Can't quite believe it and I know we have a long way to go before it's all definite but:j:j:j!!

So, moral of the story Gru and RQ is 'be patient and it will happen!'

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    Barclaycard £6700 0% repaying at £300 pm
    LOAN [STRIKE]£14000[/STRIKE] £9352 - DFD September 2022
  • Gru14
    Hi All

Havent posted for a while 1, due to work commitments and 2, cos I was getting fed up of the whole 'selling my house' thing.

Gru and Raven Queen, I also got fed up with people telling me 'be patient' and 'it will happen'.

Anyway had another viewing booked for Friday which then cancelled :mad: and this weekend I was really down with it all, I think going into another month without selling was getting to me. Anyhow, this morning our agent rang to book a viewing and lo and behold we have had an offer which we have accepted!! Can't quite believe it and I know we have a long way to go before it's all definite but:j:j:j!!

So, moral of the story Gru and RQ is 'be patient and it will happen!'

321 xxx

Ah great news 321!! How long were you on the market for?
    With all this article 51 doom and gloom my positive start to the day has gone to the dogs :(
    10 months in and feeling gloooooomy
  • Hi Gru

We've been on the market since June, which I know isn't that long really but the last house to go on the market in our road sold within a week just prior to us marketing ours (mind you they still haven't completed!).

Plus I was feeling under quite a lot of pressure as hubby is extremely attached to the property we want (family ties) and I wanted to make sure it happened for him.

Fingers crossed it happens for you soon too, good luck

321 xxx
    REPAYMENT PLAN
    Barclaycard £6700 0% repaying at £300 pm
    LOAN [STRIKE]£14000[/STRIKE] £9352 - DFD September 2022
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Hi all,

I've resisted posting on this as I'm a regular poster on other boards but haven't talked about this decision as I'm afraid I'll jinx it!

We are using Barratt Homes easymover scheme so have 6 weeks to get a sale but we are 2 weeks in, and although we have had 4 viewings, and another one tonight we are no closer to a sale...our price gets dropped next week (standard practice apparently with the easymover) to exactly what we need to sell in order to proceed with our newbuild so I'm already worrying about offers under asking. To say I'm stressing is an understatement!

I probably sound like a mad woman to all those who have been waiting months/years but it's knowing that we have reserved our perfect house (last one on the estate) and will lose it if we don't get a sale within the next 4 weeks :eek:

Anyway, hope I'm ok to join and I'll try not to drive you all mad with my worries!
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure