Do you expect your kids to ask for food....

1235»

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    My child is nearly eleven and I expect to be asked just so he doesn't get into the habit of grabbing food whenever or spoiling appetite before dinner. Most times I say yes anyway but if a child can grab food at will some would constantly be snacking.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I insist my 6 year old daughter asks first rather than just taking stuff out of the cupboard fridge ..

Partly so she doesnt go mad on sweet stuff etc, but mainly because its good manners to do so ..

I would have thought that was standard and am surprised to hear some kids are given a "free roam"
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ska_lover wrote: »
    This question brings anxieties for me as I remember this like yesterday in my own childhood. Food and even drink was used as control in our house and it gave life time issues to me and my siblings

Using access to food and drink as a power trip and as a means of control over children is a very different thing to what most people are discussing.

As I said earlier, in our house it was more "Is it okay to have x" (in case it was needed for something else) rather than "Am I allowed x".
  • My kids will ask "please can I have a snack" and we'll then discuss what they can have. They can't just help themselves.

Our cupboards are far too high for them to reach too!
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    My children (8 and 6) always ask too. The answer is more often than not, yes, but I like to know what's in the house and make sure they don't eat stuff that is meant for their lunchboxes.

A few months ago, they annoyed me when I found an empty box of Pringles in the garden. I asked them about it and they said they "forgot" to ask me.

Even when I go to Mum's now, I ask if I can have something. They've never said no, but I ask just so they know I've eaten it as it's annoying looking forward to your evening snack (or whatever) only to find it eaten and the shops shut!
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 13 June 2017 at 5:16PM
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Using access to food and drink as a power trip and as a means of control over children is a very different thing to what most people are discussing.

As I said earlier, in our house it was more "Is it okay to have x" (in case it was needed for something else) rather than "Am I allowed x".

I never said it was the same, it's unhealthy - I am not sure why you are reiterating your earlier post, I wasn't aiming anything at you (or anyone else)...I was just telling my own experience. I apologise that my experience is different to yours - it sounds your way is far more healthy
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    ska_lover wrote: »
    I never said it was the same, it's unhealthy - I am not sure why you are reiterating your earlier post, I wasn't aiming anything at you (or anyone else)...I was just telling my own experience. I apologise that my experience is different to yours - it sounds your way is far more healthy

I don't see why you feel any need to apologise - like most things, there's a wide spectrum from the very controlling method like your parents used to a total take-what-you-want that other parents allow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure