PRA Group & MBNA Card Debt

I have been on a DMP with Stepchange for about a year and everything has been going ok.

One of the Debts is for Approx £16,000 with MBNA and they agreed to freeze interest and I am currently paying them back £110 a month.

My MBNA card was transferred from a Santander card I would think about 20 years ago.

Recently I received a letter from PRA Group saying they have taken over the Management of my Debt but MBNA are still the legal owners of it. They advised they would contact anyone acting on my behalf if I were in a plan. Currently Stepchange have not been advised of this and payments are continuing to MBNA.

PRA group have started calling me and leaving messages for me to contact them (most recently they called on Bank holiday Monday)

Has anyone had any experience/advice of PRA.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Tron1969,

You should start by seeing if Step Change are able to help in this situation and write to the PRA Group to confirm the details of the DMP and ask them to stop contacting you. If they cannot do this then you can write to the PRA Group, ask them to stop calling and to put all communication, in writing, to Step Change.

Although your DMP is not legally binding and the PRA Group don't have to deal with Step Change, if the phone calls persist after you have outlined your preferred method of contact then you can complain about their conduct and argue it is harassing behaviour.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    On a debt that age, get a CCA request banged in ASAP.

Unlikly to have any enforceable paperwork after 20 years.

Info here :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Information-about-your-agreement-under-the-Consumer-Credit-Act-%28sole-name%29.aspx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Tron1969
    Tron1969 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    The debt has built up in last few years but the credit card was transferred to MBNA from Santander without me signing anything. Would that still be the case?
  • sourcrates
    Tron1969 wrote: »
    The debt has built up in last few years but the credit card was transferred to MBNA from Santander without me signing anything. Would that still be the case?

But original contract was signed 20 odd years ago yes ?

Do it !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Earlier this year we settled an MBNA/PRA debt for 10% of the outstanding balance. They produced all the paperwork but the T&Cs were unenforceable. Definitely CCA this account - I think it highly likely it will be unenforceable as all MBNAs from that era were using the same T&Cs.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Also - when you send CCA request advise PRA that all communication regarding the account must be in writing and that you do not give them permission to contact you by telephone. Providing you respond to their communications they have to honour this request.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Tron1969
    sourcrates wrote: »
    But original contract was signed 20 odd years ago yes ?

Do it !!

I never actually signed a contract, I opened bank account with Santander (think it was alliance & Leicester before they were taken over) the account had a credit card attached to it but then they discontinued this and transferred to MBNA. I think it was prior to 2000
  • sourcrates
    I never actually signed a contract, I opened bank account with Santander (think it was alliance & Leicester before they were taken over) the account had a credit card attached to it but then they discontinued this and transferred to MBNA. I think it was prior to 2000

No brainer then ............
  • Tron1969
    I sent off a CCA request to PRA group and they returned the following, do I continue to pay them during this time as I am in a DMP with Stepchange. Also they have said they can not guarantee a timescale, is that correct?

Thank you for your recent correspondence, in which you have requested a copy of your credit agreement and a statement of the account. We have contacted our original client to provide further information regarding this.

As PRA Group UK Limited do not hold the information internally, we have held your account until our client is able to provide the documentation applied for.

During this time you will receive no further letters or calls.

Should you wish to speak to an agent regarding your correspondence, or if you wish to request further information regarding the hold on your account, please call us on 0800 877 2772 or email enquiries@pragroup.co.uk.

We are unable to provide a definitive timescale as to how long the response may take, but assure you that all is being done to resolve this matter as soon as possible, and we will be in contact in due course to bring this matter to a conclusion.

Yours sincerely,

• sourcrates
    I sent off a CCA request to PRA group and they returned the following, do I continue to pay them during this time as I am in a DMP with Stepchange. Also they have said they can not guarantee a timescale, is that correct?

Thank you for your recent correspondence, in which you have requested a copy of your credit agreement and a statement of the account. We have contacted our original client to provide further information regarding this.

As PRA Group UK Limited do not hold the information internally, we have held your account until our client is able to provide the documentation applied for.

During this time you will receive no further letters or calls.

Should you wish to speak to an agent regarding your correspondence, or if you wish to request further information regarding the hold on your account, please call us on 0800 877 2772 or email enquiries@pragroup.co.uk.

We are unable to provide a definitive timescale as to how long the response may take, but assure you that all is being done to resolve this matter as soon as possible, and we will be in contact in due course to bring this matter to a conclusion.

Yours sincerely,

It's up to you, the consumer credit act says you don't have to pay during this period.

The choice is yours really.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure