PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Freethorpe, Norfolk

Hi

Looking at moving to Freethorpe and seems to be very little information when searching the net, just wondered if anyone has any insight into the village and what it is like to live there?

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 April 2017 at 7:43AM
    It's not a large village, so the chances of gaining insights on here are somewhat slim.

It doesn't flood, unlike much of the surrounding land, and it looks pretty innocuous on Street View. The vast majority of the kids at the local primary school, which is rated 'Good,' are white European. The nearest secondary school is rated 'Inadequate.' The village is surrounded by farmland, probably devoted to growing beet for the nearby sugar factory

None of this tells you a great deal, and much might be irrelevant anyway, but then reading a resident's opinion could be misleading too, especially if they have issues with neighbours.

For example, I would tell you that my village, which is not dissimilar in size, is a great place to live, but that would be the opinion of an older person. A younger individual might say it is boring.

I like the name of your pub there, but apparently it serves a limp salad sometimes. Unforgivable!
  • tannis
    tannis Posts: 116 Forumite
    Davesnave wrote: »
    It's not a large village, so the chances of gaining insights on here are somewhat slim.

It doesn't flood, unlike much of the surrounding land, and it looks pretty innocuous on Street View. The vast majority of the kids at the local primary school, which is rated 'Good,' are white European. The nearest secondary school is rated 'Inadequate.' The village is surrounded by farmland, probably devoted to growing beet for the nearby sugar factory

None of this tells you a great deal, and much might be irrelevant anyway, but then reading a resident's opinion could be misleading too, especially if they have issues with neighbours.

For example, I would tell you that my village, which is not dissimilar in size, is a great place to live, but that would be the opinion of an older person. A younger individual might say it is boring.

I like the name of your pub there, but apparently it serves a limp salad sometimes. Unforgivable!

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it was a bit of a shot in the dark to be fair but insight is in real short supply on the web, hopefully going up there to have a look around this coming Friday!
  • 9ja4life
    9ja4life Posts: 226 Forumite
    It's a small nice village. Close enough to Norwich to make the commute worthwhile. It's close to the Broads so the roads do get busy in the summer. School is doing well. Close enough to Yarmouth to access services though the A47 is a pain to drive on due to traffic.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    It's really not far from my home, less than ten minutes as the crow flies. Unfortunately, I can't fly, and the transport links in and out of that area are quite poor. To get anywhere distant, you'll have to go out to Yarmouth or Norwich. The A47 does get busy, especially in Summer, when the caravan convoys hit it (and each other). Me, I'm the other side of the Yare, and I have easier links to the South, and I do need them now and then.

Not knowing that village directly, I can't advise on it one way or another. I can say that on the other side of the Yare the villages are friendly, open, reasonably civilised, quiet, and generally nice places to live.

Anyway, I'll wave across the water at you, if you choose to move there.
  • tannis
    Thanks for your responses, much appreciated.
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    If you're going there on Friday drop into the local pub and have a chat similarly if there is a local shop that should give you a good idea of how friendly the people are. Pick up a village magazine if they have one to see what is going on. Check the parish council minutes to get an idea of any problems re traffic, planned changes.

You don't say where you are moving from , village /town /city that would affect what you would expect/ like to have.
  • tannis
    borkid wrote: »
    If you're going there on Friday drop into the local pub and have a chat similarly if there is a local shop that should give you a good idea of how friendly the people are. Pick up a village magazine if they have one to see what is going on. Check the parish council minutes to get an idea of any problems re traffic, planned changes.

You don't say where you are moving from , village /town /city that would affect what you would expect/ like to have.

Well unfortunately due to family reasons the landlord has taken the property off the market........

I'm moving from Basildon so i understand that where i am moving to will likely be very different and am fully prepared for that.

I have been up to view a property in Attleborough and 3 in Thorpe Marriott but they all seemed to be built from the same mould with living rooms that were too small for my liking..........My next viewings are going to be in Watton and Melton Constable so hopefully better luck there!
  • Durban
    Durban Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Watton is not pleasant
  • tannis
    Durban wrote: »
    Watton is not pleasant

What's the problem with Watton please elaborate?
  • tannis
    Any opinions on the following areas?

Attleborough
    Melton Constable
    Sutton

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing