When is an inquiry classed as a claim?

Hope someone can help! this afternoon someone bumped my car while it was parked (legally) in a Tesco car park, I was in the store but 3 people remained in the car. The vehicle parked in the bay next to mine caught my OSF bumper as the driver was maneuvering out of their space leaving a large graze. The people in my car (my son & his girlfriend and my mother in law) all felt the impact and more importantly the whole thing was caught on my dashcam. my son got out of the car & went to check for any damage, the other driver had stopped but then drove off as my son approached their car. He got the reg number & the dashcam footage also shows it, so it would seem a fairly clear case! BUT, as I have learned to my cost, when you contact an insurance company to report an incident, it is logged and even if you decide not to pursue the claim they use the fact that you reported that incident to increase premiums when renewal is due!!
Obviously i want to get an estimate before I decide to take this further, but if I delay reporting the incident I risk the wrath of my insurers!
Anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Your insurance company's T&C's will state you need to tell them if you and /or your vehicle is involved in any accidents.

It has been involved in an accident, so it is logged correctly.

An "at fault claim" on my insurance didn't raise it too much (£60 for the year) and a non fault accident / claim i had didn't affect it in the slightest.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    If it is a clear cut as you state, and it is 100% non fault, then your premium should not change (note: if your renewal is due shortly it may go up, however this will simply be because your insurer has not recouped costs from the third party yet).

You should report it regardless, however, as it is a loss (whether or not you wish to claim).
  • Retrogamer
    Retrogamer Posts: 4,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Blibble wrote: »
    If it is a clear cut as you state, and it is 100% non fault, then your premium should not change

It depends on the insurance company. Some will load premiums for non fault claims and others won't.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • Blibble
    Blibble Posts: 503 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Retrogamer wrote: »
    It depends on the insurance company. Some will load premiums for non fault claims and others won't.

Quite right - should have clarified this really.
  • jobdone1
    jobdone1 Posts: 841 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    First report to the police as failed to stop after an accident with your evidence. See where that goes.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,549 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Your enquiry would be classed as an incident not a claim. Your terms would probably say that all incidents should be reported.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Retrogamer wrote: »

You can find out now what difference if any a loss makes to future premiums by doing dummy quotes online with and without the loss in your history
  • So how much will the repair cost approximately - aside the fact you should report - you need to know that too to balance your action. Plus, if you got it repaired yourself for more than an insurer will undoubtedly pay a garage , can you live without a car while that is done?
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Do us all a favour and report it to the police with your evidence. A nice fine and several points on the license of the **** who chooses to not leave details when hitting another car is a fair punishment alongside a massive insurance hike
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    your dashcam continued recording with the engine off?? which one did you have?
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport