what are the best value dating sites?

lushplus4
lushplus4 Posts: 289
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 20 October 2015 at 11:00AM in Marriage, relationships & families
Official MSE Insert:

We have a Free Dating Sites guide now. Take a look :)

Back to the original post...

Ok so I am going to take the plunge and join a dating site, but which one? There are so many, but all seem to be quite expensive.

I don't want to join one thats free for women and not men as I think I would be way outnumbered and then not stand a chance.

What do you think ? (I'm female by the way):)

Comments

• crazyguy
    crazyguy Posts: 5,495 Forumite
    Try POF( plenty of fish ) for a free site for both sexes,
    Dont know what its like as I dont go on them but a mate has had a number of dates and says its free.
  • I don't know how good it is but if you join up to matchaffinity via Quidco you get paid £6.00, £6.06 through Topcashback.
    (If you have two email addresses you can get £12.06 ;))
    They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm. :grin:
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    None of them are good value for money, the men are of very poor quality and often quite socailly !!!!!!, so just get out there and spend your money on having fun instead. Fun people attract fun people you know!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Tried a lot, most are rubbish.

If your female you will get loads of mail from married perverts
    If your male you will get no contact except the odd fake scammer/fake profile to keep you interested.

Plenty Of Fish: Free and loads of users. Downside, perverts/your mails getting no response as your mail has been lost among the perverts mass mails.

Ok cupid: also free and smaller. Less crap sent to me but no contacts on there either.

Various pay ones: Very little contact because nearly all the users are on the free bits to make the site appear to have more users than it does.

Heard lots of happy stories from them but not having much luck myself.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • *max*
    *max* Posts: 3,208
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    the men are of very poor quality

:rotfl: Makes it sound like shopping, literally!
  • Jessie11
    Jessie11 Posts: 108 Forumite
    I've never used a 'dating' site despite meeting a few people (including my fiancee) online, but a friend met loads of people on plentyoffish which is free. Don't know what it's like for straight dating though.
    :heartsmil
  • lushplus4
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    None of them are good value for money, the men are of very poor quality and often quite socailly !!!!!!, so just get out there and spend your money on having fun instead. Fun people attract fun people you know!
    I do try to "get out there" as much as possible, I have now made it my policy to say yes to every single invitation, as you never know who you might meet. But my problem is that only attatched males seem to go for me and that is a no go area for me.
  • I recommend OK Cupid.......... it's free. Yes you have to fend off a lot of unwanted attention if you're female but that's not too hard to do. Also Guardian Soulmates. I don't think it was expensive but I joined when they had some sort of offer. A long time ago now but I met some lovely people on there. Let's face it, you meet allsorts in bars etc as well as online - at least you can filter to some extent online :)
  • Butterfliesarepretty
    Butterfliesarepretty Posts: 1,984
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 8 October 2011 at 4:18PM
    I use plentyoffish and smooch, i met one guy off plentyoffish had five dates, then he turned on me. He was an only child grew up in well to do family, went to boarding school, was married 25 years and wife left him for another man. He was a gardener self employed, a cat and no kids. Father died when very young. He promised to take me day out in the lakes then backed out because he didnt want to leave his cat and didnt want to drive all that way. there's me making him nice teas (he didnt like travelling 25 miles to my house),and even though the first dates he made an effort.took me for a meal, he began to want me at his house all the time rather than going for enjoyable days out, asked about my finances, he didnt understand why women had to work full time. The tea he made me was an onion bahji topped with burnt seaweed. My teas were properly cooked as I love treating my man. I made an effort and made some nice pasta dishes and curries that were healthy.

Anyway when he couldnt be bothered to pick me up on way to lakes, (he wanted me to drive 3/4 to his house) he then called me a chauvinist pig, huge inflated ego (because i am confident),cruel to cats (because i work and leave them sleeping at home) and a skinflint golddigger because I hadnt bought him a coffee yet. He believes in women doing as they are told and not working. Said he couldnt keep up with my hectic life, which is going to work and coming home and spending some weekends with my daughter.

Needless to say few days later after telling him its over he then said he was missing me then when I said no, he went nasty again.
    Then he sent me pics of his day out as if like a child to try and make me envious for some reason.:eek:

Anyway had to warn him of harrassment.

Ive looked at the paying sites and they dont let you pay monthly so I said no to that.
    Mortgage Free 2016Work Part Time:DHouse Hunting In France 2023
  • lushplus4
    Forumite
    I use plentyoffish and smooch, i met one guy off plentyoffish had five dates, then he turned on me. He was an only child grew up in well to do family, went to boarding school, was married 25 years and wife left him for another man. He was a gardener self employed, a cat and no kids. Father died when very young. He promised to take me day out in the lakes then backed out because he didnt want to leave his cat and didnt want to drive all that way. there's me making him nice teas (he didnt like travelling 25 miles to my house),and even though the first dates he made an effort.took me for a meal, he began to want me at his house all the time rather than going for enjoyable days out, asked about my finances, he didnt understand why women had to work full time. The tea he made me was an onion bahji topped with burnt seaweed. My teas were properly cooked as I love treating my man. I made an effort and made some nice pasta dishes and curries that were healthy.

Anyway when he couldnt be bothered to pick me up on way to lakes, (he wanted me to drive 3/4 to his house) he then called me a chauvinist pig, huge inflated ego (because i am confident),cruel to cats (because i work and leave them sleeping at home) and a skinflint golddigger because I hadnt bought him a coffee yet. He believes in women doing as they are told and not working. Said he couldnt keep up with my hectic life, which is going to work and coming home and spending some weekends with my daughter.

Needless to say few days later after telling him its over he then said he was missing me then when I said no, he went nasty again.
    Then he sent me pics of his day out as if like a child to try and make me envious for some reason.:eek:

Anyway had to warn him of harrassment.

Ive looked at the paying sites and they dont let you pay monthly so I said no to that.
    OMG:eek::eek::eek: sounds like a nutter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport