Uhtred goes Viking against his debt

Comments

• Well, next month’s finances are logged and the debt slaying begins in earnest next Friday on payday. I use You Need a Budget so the drive to give every penny (and pound) a job to do means that the credit card gets paid £378.26 rather than a nicely round number – every penny counts I suppose. That lets me pay my planned £170.00 to the Argos card :eek:. Two more payments on that after next week and it’s gone for good and closed.

As far as the credit card goes it has been removed from my wallet and also my house; a very close friend has taken it for safe-keeping and I will only get it back if there is a HUGE emergency in the real sense of the word, emergency. I’m told that rules out DVDs, meals out and general spending. :rotfl:

Food wise I’ll be perusing the Old Style board for more ideas and I’ve started a jar to collect odds and sods of change, hopefully to let it build until Christmas and then put it towards something nice.

On the weight loss front I’ve dropped a further 4 pounds since last week so I’m well on track with that. The debt slaying really helps with the weight loss as I steer clear of junk food and takeaways for dietary purposes and it has a lovely knock-on effect on the pounds in my pocket.

I just wish I’d done this a long, long time ago.

Happy days to all.:T
    Wyrd bid ful aread
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sounds great. We use YNAB too - it has made such a huge difference to how we budget and like you say - every penny counts!

On another topic.....so when will we get to you in see series 2? Loved series 1 and waiting for the next installment!!

Cheers Ramble.
  • Uhtred_Ragnarsson
    Uhtred_Ragnarsson Posts: 72 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2016 at 8:28AM
    YNAB is probably been the one thing that kept me reasonably solvent. Total convert I am.

I'll be back in 2017. Heading north to find young Ragnar, to kill Kjartan and his one eyed son and take back Bebbanburg :D
    Wyrd bid ful aread
  • System
    Fab! Are the books worth a read?
  • Well worth a read. The television version is pretty close to the books and I really enjoyed both. I bought the books second hand online to keep costs down and read them one after the other - very addictive and recommended :T
    Wyrd bid ful aread
  • You 2 are making me feel like I am majorly missing out- Will look into this- sounds fun. And that is always welcome!
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
  • Uhtred_Ragnarsson
    Uhtred_Ragnarsson Posts: 72 Forumite
    edited 23 July 2016 at 8:27AM
    Do look into it, you won't be disappointed. There's nothing quite like a bit of Viking plundering to brighten things up a bit. :)
    Wyrd bid ful aread
  • It's time for a short update I think, given that it's pay day.

The plan I had is now in action - £170.00 paid to the Argos card and £353.26 paid to the credit card. Another £25.00 will be paid to the credit card in a couple of weeks as I have a direct debit set up to make sure I never miss a payment. At that point I will be £548.26 less in debt :j. I must say, it's good to see it written down like that; it makes it more real.

I'll also admit to being a wee bit annoyed with myself because I HAVE to pay that amount of money out because of debt - to think what I could be doing with it! On that subject, I used to watch Alvin Hall's programme a good number of years ago and he likened being in debt to stealing from your future self. Damn right he was. :(

Anyway it's onward and upwards from here on in or should I say onward and downwards with the debt. Happy days. :)
    Wyrd bid ful aread
  • System
    Amazing payment - you'll have it busted in no time at all and then you can commission a viking ship and head off into whichever sunset you choose!
    I used to watch Alvin Hall and thought he was great - what happened to him?!
  • Love that idea for the (future) spare cash. :T

It really is a huge chunk though but I'm pleased as next month will be a little less. So far so good.

Not sure what Alvin might be up to but I loved his stuff - really all just common sense I suppose but good viewing nonetheless.
    Wyrd bid ful aread
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport