work problems

Hello everyone.
I have had some problems at work, which i wont go into and am currently signed off with work related stress. I gave my sick note in and the following day was asked to go into a meeting to discuss next week. I am not up to going anywhere near work so i politely declined but said i would go when i was feeling better. Today i received the news that i will be paid for this week, but for the next 2 it will be SSP. My contract does state that sick pay is discretionary, but it seems that because I am not well enough to attend a meeting when they want they are punishing me by not paying me company sick pay. I understand they do not have to pay me other than SSP, but i do not understand why they are doing this to me, when in the past they have paid me ( i dont have a lot of time off sick btw!). This news has obviously stressed me out even more, and i feel i am being kind of bullied into going back to work or to a meeting before I am ready. Can someone advise me? Thank you

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Discretionary is just that.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Discretionary is just that.

Basically yes. The majority of company sick pay schemes are now discretionary and in all but the most exceptional circumstances there is little you can do if they exercise their discretion in this way.

If your employer is going to be difficult it may be worth getting your doctor to confirm that you are not well enough to attend a meeting. That is not necessarily the same thing as being unfit for work.

At some point, unless you are fit enough to return fairly shortly, you will have to engage with your employer.
  • Basically yes. The majority of company sick pay schemes are now discretionary and in all but the most exceptional circumstances there is little you can do if they exercise their discretion in this way.

If your employer is going to be difficult it may be worth getting your doctor to confirm that you are not well enough to attend a meeting. That is not necessarily the same thing as being unfit for work.

At some point, unless you are fit enough to return fairly shortly, you will have to engage with your employer.

Thank you. I intend to engage with them, but am not ready yet. I have not been off a week and they are already pushing for a meeting. I understand they want to meet with me to discuss how to make things better, but i cannot face it yet.
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If you are citing work related stress then any good management would want to know what can be done to mitigate the issue. By not agreeing to a meeting they seem to have taken the view that you are not engaging. Maybe if you suggested a time/venue when you would be comfortable discussing then this would be seen that you are trying to improve the situation? How long was the sick note for?
  • polgara wrote: »
    If you are citing work related stress then any good management would want to know what can be done to mitigate the issue. By not agreeing to a meeting they seem to have taken the view that you are not engaging. Maybe if you suggested a time/venue when you would be comfortable discussing then this would be seen that you are trying to improve the situation? How long was the sick note for?

I have said i will go for a meeting, I have not flatly refused. But just not so soon, i do not feel in the right frame of mind and will end up just crying all the way through. My sick note is for 3 weeks.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    From their side.
    You are saying its work related stress. So how do you see the issues being resolved without speaking to them?
    IME these types of absences/issues arent really resolved by more time off.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I have said i will go for a meeting, I have not flatly refused. But just not so soon, i do not feel in the right frame of mind and will end up just crying all the way through. My sick note is for 3 weeks.

From experience, crying through a meeting might just get the point across...
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Unless you get a fit note saying you cannot meet with the employer and there should be no contact, then it isn't up to you to decide when a meeting happens. And if you get one of those then there are other risks - the employer cannot consider your situation if you won't talk to them.

Past that, as others have said, it's discretionary and they've decided not to pay occupational sick pay, so SSP is all there is.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Can you face a meeting at a neutral venue, or was that offered?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • PeppaCoin
    PeppaCoin Posts: 141 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    You really do need to attend their meeting. Its a requirement from them that you do. They wouldn't be doing their job properly if they weren't looking to investigate the stress, particularly as it is work related.

Attend on neutral ground, ask for it outside of work hours, or ask for a home visit? If you do end up crying through the meeting, that's ok as thats your reality at the minute.

Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport