DMP & Mutual Support Thread - Part 9

Comments

• Hi

I'm just starting out on my dmp journey. Stepchange phoned today to let me know everything's now set up and my first payment will go out on 1st March. I receive most of my statements online. Will I still be able to view them online? If not, how will I know whether the interest has been reduced?

Thank you
    The £1,000 emergency fund challenge #163 - £536.16/£1000
  • cocoloco
    cocoloco Posts: 589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    cocoloco wrote: »
    :wave:Hi everybody and thank you for sharring all the experience and advice!

I have my face-to-face appointment with Payplan today at 2:00pm and feeling rather sick to my stomack :o- I hope everything will be OK.

I can't go on like this much longer.:(

Well, what a waste of time!:o

I thought I have a meeting with Payplan BUT I had a meeting with a government debt advisor who works with Payplan!!! What a numpty!
    Anyway once we gone through SOA and stuff he referred me to Payplan who hopefully will call me in a day. I'm so angry with myself. I could have done this all last week myself and would have a reference number by now.

Thank you all for your good luck wishes, looks like an other day to go before I can wrap this up.

PS-the advisor was really pushing for a IVA despite me keep saying I want an DMP!-!!!!!!?
    :p "NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS FREE FOOD" :p
    'They can have my money but not my life!'
    :eek: Debt & mortgage free in 18 years :eek:
  • Having read some of the other posts I am now having a few doubts about token payments. Due to the payments dates being 2-4 days before when StepChange are going to send payment, what are the consequences if I don't send another token payment to cover the 31 days?

Thanks and sorry if it has been answered before.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
  • Morning All

Just had to share my news..... haven't won the lottery BUT.........

Bought a bargain pack of dishclothes 15 for 99p. As if that wasn't excitement enough I use a new one each month..... which means I will have reached my DFD before I have to buy anymore.:)

I was optimistically hopeful when in the early days of DMP I had to buy a pack of hoover bags and was relieved that they would last me the four year duration of the DMP and hence changing a hoover bag has become a landmark in my journey to DFD too :rotfl:

Who was it that bought the loo roll stash and how are you getting on with them?

HHx

I bought the loo rolls when the Tesco fuel offer was on. We saved an absolute fortune on diesel at 50p per litre off and we still have enough Andrex to sort out every labrador puppy in the UK!

Now to serious things .... can I borrow a dish cloth please? :p
    LBM 10/1/12 ~ DFW Start 6/2/12: £82,344 ~ Now Zero
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
    Eternal thanks to the DMP & Mutual Support (no.439) and Payment a Day Threads
    Mortgage free 3rd July 2014 - Grateful thanks to the 2013/14 MFW threads
    "Debt is normal. Be weird!" Dave Ramsey
    Proud to have dealt with our debt :)
  • Mossop01 wrote: »
    We have kept our dmp from everyone, I feel quite ashamed to admit our financial difficulty (and I don't want family to worry) but lesson learned, do not give in to peer pressure and be more organised!
    There's loads of tactics to use and learn from each other about how to contribute etc and most of the time no one has any idea, e.g taking along jacket pots or home made coleslaw to parties will never fail to impress and will be a fraction of the cost of 1 packet of premade horse kebabs.

We aren't public about our debts either but if I get awkward questions, I have told people that we have cut up all of our credit cards and are planning on being debt free before we next go on holiday/go on Christmas nights out/buy a new car etc.

Most people are really interested and say "Oh I wish I had the will power to do that". If only they knew :D
    :staradmin:starmod::staradmin Debt free 17th April 2015 :staradmin:starmod::staradmin
  • jubilee14 wrote: »
    Urgh my washing machine packed in its not that old (6 years) but i think too small for our young family had looked to repair but was going to be £90 call out without the parts labour and VAT so have had to dip into the emergency fund. After much searching around have gone for a not too cheap ( dont want same thing to happen in 2 years time) and def not too expensive. THank goodness the car's MOT this month passed without any work.

Sorry to hear about the washing machine but well done on having the emergency fund to deal with it :T
  • Hi

I'm just starting out on my dmp journey. Stepchange phoned today to let me know everything's now set up and my first payment will go out on 1st March. I receive most of my statements online. Will I still be able to view them online? If not, how will I know whether the interest has been reduced?

Thank you

Hi nextyeartina and welcome :hello:

One year on, we still have access to most of our statements, either online or by mail/email monthly. The problem seems to be when debt is transferred to a DCA and then you don't get statements but this hasn't happened to us .... yet.
  • cocoloco wrote: »
    Well, what a waste of time!:o

I thought I have a meeting with Payplan BUT I had a meeting with a government debt advisor who works with Payplan!!! What a numpty!
    Anyway once we gone through SOA and stuff he referred me to Payplan who hopefully will call me in a day. I'm so angry with myself. I could have done this all last week myself and would have a reference number by now.

Thank you all for your good luck wishes, looks like an other day to go before I can wrap this up.

PS-the advisor was really pushing for a IVA despite me keep saying I want an DMP!-!!!!!!?

Sorry to hear about that cocoloco. Fingers crossed on you getting it sorted out with Paypan tomorrow.

I have read a few things recently about Payplan pushing IVAs, even to people who have been on a DMP for some time. I really am not sure what is going on there.
  • Having read some of the other posts I am now having a few doubts about token payments. Due to the payments dates being 2-4 days before when StepChange are going to send payment, what are the consequences if I don't send another token payment to cover the 31 days?

Thanks and sorry if it has been answered before.

If there is more than 31 days between your last token payment and StepChange making their first payment to creditors, it's a good idea to send another token payment, even if it is just £1.

It's seen as a gesture of you wanting to keep up payments but if you will be really pushed to do this, just keep your StepChange reference number available and quote this if you get any hassle from creditors.
  • Thanks for the advice, I will try and pop to the post office tomorrow to get some postal orders to cover this as I can't pay online.

I was thinking perhaps it would just mean another late payment marker, which after 2 sets of those, 2 defaults and a house repossession you start to get used to it, although it really did upset me in the beginning.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of lack of wisdom.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure