PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Oh well... as in previous years my house remains cluttered, but my intentions are good! This year I really will make progress, I promise! But, where to start?? Think I'm just going to pick a cupboard or a drawer at random and see where that gets me. Like Hester, I now have loads of books on my Kindle..but not sure I can make myself part with the real things! In he morning I'm going to tackle my bedside table drawers. Will let you know how I get on!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • aliwali
    aliwali Posts: 407 Forumite
    Hi, never managed to keep up with this thread before, but I feel inspired at the moment so will try. There is definately clutter in each room so I think I will do the one roon at a time technique. Going to start 2nd January as we are out New Years Day. I'll keep checking back for inspiration.
    Fashion on a ration 0 of 66
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I want to declutter my OH and all of his things :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Over the last year I have been steadily decluttering and although I am still messy my bedroom no longer looks like that of a teenager :D. He unfortunately leaves mess everywhere and as a collector of things constantly leaves his things all round the house.

Today I did give a pressure washer that I had cluttering my dining room back to my dad and:
    I WILL GO TO THE DUMP TOMORROW
    As I have a mountain of xmas packaging filling my hall :o
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Sue14
    Sue14 Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    BabyBoots wrote: »
    No-one gets sentimental about old electric bills ;o)

Do they not? Must just be me then, lol! I still have my first gas and leccy bills from my first home (from early 1984), the leccy bill was only just over £12, wish they were that cheap now, lol! Mind you, before I started clearing out old paperwork I had all my bills after those too, lol!

I'm definitely in for another year, the house is a lot better than it was before I started de-cluttering but still a lot to get rid of, and as soon as the warm weather comes I will be sorting out the sheds, as I only partly sorted two this year and didn't even attempt the other (worst) one!

This evening OH and I decluttered the remains of the tin of roses chocs, if that counts!
    Weight loss challenge 2/10lbs

• I definitely need to sign up this year (again!)
    Currently have 4 tesco bags of stuff in the car boot to go to the charity shop. Need to empty the spare room as have friend coming over. I made a start, but then realised that most of the stuff there is OH's. Things like tools (he hasn't done any DIY or car maintenance in forever) or work things that he could store in his locker at work. I've given him a task tomorrow of sorting it all out but I know that when I get home it'll all be in a neat pile in the corner of the room, and when I say "what's for the bin/charity shop" I'll be told it's all essential and useful!
    Apart from that there are random plates and china sets his family keep buying for us from charity shops. We have tons of plates and china so I don't know why they buy it. I guess we'll have to find a nice way of regifting it or something.
  • pixie1
    pixie1 Posts: 1,442 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Count me in! We have to move out of our rental by the end of feb so we are hopefully going to buy our first home in Oz since moving here 2.5 years ago. Im refusing to move all this junk. We have boxes of things that we shipped out here that are still not unpacked, we have boxes that lived in our loft for the last 7 years we were in the uk after we moved house again that are still not packed. When we did make the move here i did throw a lot ofstuff away or take it to the charity shop but i seem to have aquired a lot more 'stuff' since.

I did clear out my wardrobe earlier in the year which took a full day and three trips to the charity shop but the rest of the house looks like a bigger job, esp the home office which is over flowing with paperwork.

Good luck everyone, i will keep you posted with my progress:beer:

Pix
    :jDebt Free At Last!:j
  • can i join the party guys, trying so hard to focus on getting our lives sorted including the massive stuff box which we call home.
    2 adults 4 children Eldest 14 yrs old youngest 1yr old,
    Total Credit July £38K Aug £37K Sept £37K Oct £33K Nov £26K Dec £60K May £56K Nov £52K Apr £21K :eek:
    What most people need to learn in life is how to love people and use things instead of using people and loving things
  • cat04
    cat04 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Can I join in too? I did try hard on the 2011 declutter thread but, as I'm reading this thread obviously not hard enough lol. I didn't get everything done before Christmas Day, but in the end it didn't matter. We had a great day today, sorted out loads in the conservatory (aka dumping ground), plenty to the recycling bin and other bits tided away and sorted. Even OH got loads done too! We both found paperwork that could be shreaded and we decluttered the mug and glass cupboard too, so a very good start and it's not even 2012 yet!

This is THE year for getting ourselves sorted - DD2 will now be doing 3 full days at Nursery rather than half days which means I have lots of time to get this place (and myself!) decluttered :)
    Extra savings aim for 2020 £4,000 £0/£4,000
    Original MF date Feb 2025. Currently Feb 2030:eek: Aiming for Jan 2025 :T
    Mortgage at [STRIKE]10/19 - £47,200[/STRIKE] 11/19 - £46,615
    :heart:My girls keep me going:heart:
  • I sit here typing when I should have done the dishes - no excuse not too, I cleared a space to get to the sink!
    I started a big clear out in September, parents done many trips to the local dump. We had sorted my sons room, made a start on my room, cleared the kitchen and most of the living room. I sold 13 bags of clothes to cash 4 clothes cause my camera is broke and my mobile wasn't working so I couldn't upload to any of the selling sites.

Fast forward 3 short months and my heating has bust, I can't get anyone in to fix it cause my house is such a mess (+ I'm skint, but I would get help from family)

Really want to sort my head out, which in turn would help with the depression, but to do that I need to clear the house, as it is all related (in my head anyways lol)

Major factors spurring me on just now, I want to invite my sons friends over for play dates, I'd like him to be able to play with his toys and not have them magically dissapear as soon as they come through the door.
    I would like to invite my boyfriend over to stay, previous to September he would come round, watch TV, have dinner when son was in bed, but never stay over, I haven't invited him round since then. We are talking of moving in together, yet I haven't had him sleep over (son and I have stayed at his - alot since heating bust)

Soo here I am, finally ready to get my self sorted, I don't expect quick results, as I know its taken me years to be like this, so a few months for each new 'trick to become normal :-)

Good luck everyone :-)
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)
    Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,902 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Is there a place to sign up?
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 229/136
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £39.49/£100 NSD - 71
    2024 Craft Makes - 192 Craft Spends 2024 £243.05/£500
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts