windows embolom and starting windows

Comments

• GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Where will I get a floppy disc from?
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    GT60 wrote: »
    Where will I get a floppy disc from?
    Ha, non with the motherboard or graphics card, no secret stash of floppies? Some shops do still sell them :)

Think have a few somewhere, but if they are working is another issue.

Besides recognising more drives, a new bios would also check/recognise the over current of usb ports, plus a few other bits, there are notes somewhere on the asus page that tells you what each revision does.

There is a possibility of using a DOS boot cd and adding the bios and the AFUDOD utility to the CD too, but if the utility directly is programmed to point to a: then you are still not in a good place.

OK, forget the bios for the current time and just put on 10.

However you could be daring and try this, but you will probably be on your own, as it is so hit and miss https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20070215223109668&board_id=1&model=P5B+Deluxe%2fWiFi-AP&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
  • were
    edited 2 July 2017 at 10:03PM
    I would not buy RumRats suggestion, as for £20 you could probably get a better second hand mboard of ebay :)

:checked:
    you cant even by a working second hand motherboard for £20, but you can possibly buy a whole tower, as there are a few of these going for a starting bid at £20
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-Edge-71-Tower-PC-Intel-Pentium-G630-2-7GHz-2-0GB-DDR3-DVI-/401354821199?hash=item5d729c8e4f:g:mCAAAOSwMvtZUgys
  • GT60
    Windows 10 wont run
    Not enough ram need 2 gb and I only have one
    There is some thing else but forgot what it was.
    I tried Windows auto upgrade this afternoon.
    I will read the Asus forum post tomorrow or tuesday and report back after a play, slowly starting to understand things now
    Thanks
  • were
    memory 2 x 512? What type of AMD cpu is in there?
  • were
    Had a quick check, no memory here for u - unless some is hidden away with floppies that I may have kept somewhere?

Think either windows 7, or mint xfce are your best bets. The new mint is supported to 2021.
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Reviving an old clunker here myself - has 0.5GB RAM. I installed Windows 7 32bit on it successfully. Win 10 32bit only needs 1GB of RAM, whereas 64bit needs 2gb.
    Check with the experts here, but Win 10 32bit might be a possibility? Why isn't it an upgrade option?
  • GT60
    This is the message I get
    "Windows 10 will not run on this PC"
    CPU " CPU isn't supported ( CMPXCHG16b) ""
    Memory " PC doesn't have enough Ram 2GB required

It seems fine on windows 7 64bit
    AMD Athlon (tm) 64 processor 3200+ 2.00GHz
    Ram 1 GB
    My son is going to try coding on it as he wants to learn how to do it and has some books out of the library
    Thanks
  • were
    there is no official win 10 x32 for PCs, but there are for tablets.

x64 should run faster, but needs more memory. x32 is more economical on memory but runs slower. Explanation: if you have a big pie at a buffet, Joe can get to the pie take a serving and finish the pie in one go, his plate has also got to be bigger than Janes. Jane has a plate half of Joe's, even if she eats at the same rate as Joe, she has to go backward and forward twice to fill her plate.

GT60, looks like you have come to the end of the road with this windows 7 PC. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure