Spoilt Cake

Comments

• ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd ask for £100. Don't think you'd get any more. I would have expected the baker to contact you asap, so that was poor customer service but it's difficult to put a price to it.

I made my sister's wedding cake years ago, half way through the evening 'do' 2 guests got a bit loud and knocked the cake over. Such a mess but we still laugh about it.
  • TBagpuss wrote: »
    £300 sounds very cheap for a 3 tier wedding cake.

£300 for a cake?? I'm in the wrong job..!
  • evherkes
    evherkes Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    karcher wrote: »
    Wouldn't normally make this kind of comment, but the OP's writing style is very similar to the email reply from the cake maker :think:

Also, what's the odds on this being the next, utterly pointless, MSE Moral Dilemma? :wall:

Sorry Karcher, I don't write emails to myself. Neither do I send a professional email with typos like she has...
    Emily :A
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    evherkes wrote: »
    Sorry Karcher, I don't write emails to myself. Neither do I send a professional email with typos like she has...

Given that she's holding herself out to be a cake maker, not a lawyer or English professor, I have no idea what relevance typos or her written ability have on her professionalism.
  • lika_86 wrote: »
    Given that she's holding herself out to be a cake maker, not a lawyer or English professor, I have no idea what relevance typos or her written ability have on her professionalism.

I love this board :rotfl:

I'm sitting here with my popcorn :T
  • Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    I think if you wanted a fully professional cake you should have gone with a proper professional - on the other website you say this person was a hobby cake maker, which I assume you knew when you booked her. Sorry, you get what you pay for.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The photos on the other web site say volumes. You paid £300 to a hobby baker who it appears drove the cake already assembled to the venue, no wonder it collapsed! Aside from the cake collapsing the icing looks awful and the finish is unprofessional. If that was my cake I'd be raging.

Now if you look at the icing on your cake and compare it to her sample cakes (you should have seen photos or maybe mock cakes made of iced styrofoam?) is that the finish you were expecting? Did you pay for delivery (ours was charged per mile from the bakery in a refrigerated van) or was it thrown in with the price and driven in the boot or back seat of the bakers car?

At the tasting did the baker mention things like weight, dowling, cake selection to help structure or anything like that? With my allergies fruit cake was out of the question so we had to select from heavy mixes for the bottom with lighter cakes on top, were you offered advice like this?

At the end of the day this is the difference between hiring a professional and hiring someone who does it for a hobby. I wouldn't expect a full refund as the cake was cut and served, if it had been too damaged to serve I would see the point of asking for a full refund.

I would write back to her and say that you were disappointed that she didn't come clean on the day, left it to the venue to tell you what happened, her cake wasn't shown to guests because it was messy as a result of the accident (and if applicable her show cakes gave you the impression that her icing would have been neater even in the areas that weren't damaged). You appreciate that she has expenses related to buying materials for your cake and would be happy to settle for £X.

If you do write reviews make sure they are fair and accurate, you don't want her to claim you're being malicious and drag you through the courts for slandering her name and losing her business.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    I've just had a look at the photos OP posted on the YaYW forum and it doesn't look as bad as I expected from her description at all. Its definitely gone a bit wonky but it is a very basic design anyways so I'd have thought they could have arranged some flowers around the base and no one would have been any the wiser.
    I think OP maybe had slightly too high expectations of what a hobby baker could achieve.
    http://www.youandyourwedding.co.uk/forum/general-chat/spoilt-cake/441237.html

Not quite the mushy disaster I was picturing either.

That forum is something else though!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I love this board :rotfl:

I'm sitting here with my popcorn :T

Not cake?:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    GlasweJen wrote: »
    The photos on the other web site say volumes. You paid £300 to a hobby baker who it appears drove the cake already assembled to the venue, no wonder it collapsed! Aside from the cake collapsing the icing looks awful and the finish is unprofessional. If that was my cake I'd be raging.
    I asked that question on the other thread and got the answer:
    evherkes wrote: »
    The baker only bakes cakes, an at home business with food safety and the ratings etc.

The idea that the cake was transported ready assembled into its 4 tiers is :eek:.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure