PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does anyone want to join me waiting to find a house to buy?

Comments

• copperjar
    copperjar Posts: 884 Forumite
    Any updates Hazyjo?

How is everyone else getting on?

The market still seems so slow! Still have alerts coming through on phone (need to stop them!) but literally nothing else of interest has come up since we offered on the one we're buying. So happy we managed to get it.
    [STRIKE]
    Total debt 1.11.10 £23,446
    [/STRIKE]
    Save £6k in 2015 #129 £6121.66/£6000
    Save £6k in 2016 #39 £6000/£6000
  • copperjar wrote: »
    Any updates Hazyjo?

The market still seems so slow! Still have alerts coming through on phone (need to stop them!) but literally nothing else of interest has come up since we offered on the one we're buying. So happy we managed to get it.

hi Copperjar, nice to hear from you. So glad you found the right place, and are free from buyers remorse. I shouldn't, but have been checking RM a few times to see if anything else comes up - so far so good though.

From our side, mortgage offer now issued so it's a waiting game for the solicitors. Still nervous but several steps through the process now so fewer (touch wood) things to go wrong.
  • copperjar
    edited 9 October 2016 at 7:18AM
    Good to see things progressing with you psychological! its still a stressful business even when things seem to be running smoothly isn't it?

I look on RM as well - habit more than anything! If this house we're buying hadn't come up, I do think we would probably have had to cancel the sale. The post summer boom hasnt happened here. Do feel guilty thinking about that!

Our mortgage offer came in on Friday. The sale is almost there I think, answered a few questions on Wednesday and have had to chase up the guy that fitted the new boiler earlier in the year for a buildings reg certificate (and still waiting!) but otherwise all okay. Looks like I will have to pay for some indemnity insurance though. Reading about it, I can see it being the next PPI type scandal. Seems to be a recent thing that solicitors are really pushing.

The purchase is slower though. Had the survey done, have paid for searches but my solicitor says she's has had nothing back from the seller at all. No communication - for someone supposedly wanting a quick sale I'm a little bit worried! The vendor has split up from his wife (hence the sale) and the legal practice she works for is dealing with the conveyancing, so I can't understand the delay!
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • Levs01
    Levs01 Posts: 224 Forumite
    copperjar wrote: »
    Good to see things progressing with you psychological! its still a stressful business even when things seem to be running smoothly isn't it?

I look on RM as well - habit more than anything! If this house we're buying hadn't come up, I do think we would probably have had to cancel the sale. The post summer boom hasnt happened here. Do feel guilty thinking about that!

Our mortgage offer came in on Friday. The sale is almost there I think, answered a few questions on Wednesday and have had to chase up the guy that fitted the new boiler earlier in the year for a buildings reg certificate (and still waiting!) but otherwise all okay. Looks like I will have to pay for some indemnity insurance though. Reading about it, I can see it being the next PPI type scandal. Seems to be a recent thing that solicitors are really pushing.

The purchase is slower though. Had the survey done, have paid for searches but my solicitor says she's has had nothing back from the seller at all. No communication - for someone supposedly wanting a quick sale I'm a little bit worried! The vendor has split up from his wife (hence the sale) and the legal practice she works for is dealing with the conveyancing, so I can't understand the delay!

Phone gas safe directly for the certificate. I only had the install date (on sticker on boiler) and they supplied me with a copy of my regs cert. It was £6 but worth it to make sure I had it (blooming fensa wanted £20 PER CERTIFICATE and I had two to get)
  • copperjar
    Levs01 wrote: »
    Phone gas safe directly for the certificate. I only had the install date (on sticker on boiler) and they supplied me with a copy of my regs cert. It was £6 but worth it to make sure I had it (blooming fensa wanted £20 PER CERTIFICATE and I had two to get)

Thank you! Wouldn't have known to do that so you might have saved me some grief! The boiler installer has been pretty rubbish with warranties and the like, didnt hold out much hope for him getting this sorted for me. Thanks again
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • So we've seen a house that we actually want to buy!!!! Don't want to jinx it, but we think it's "the one". It went up for sale on Friday and there were several viewings booked in over the weekend and for today/tomorrow which is unusual for this area as houses tend to take months to sell. It's definitely been priced very reasonably provided there's no issues with it.

The house needs a full refurb but has potential far above any other house we've seen in that area for that sort of money, and I reckon even after the refurb we would have saved VS buying the same house already renovated, so we've offered the asking price today. My dad buys a lot of houses in the area and thinks it will sell straight away so we put forward our offer this morning with DIP and proof of deposit, but they're now playing games. We don't have a chain behind us so barring cash buyers, I think we should be the best option for them but this afternoon we know for a fact there is a group viewing at 1PM (so in about half an hour). The EA said they would get straight back to us this morning but they haven't, so it's obvious they're holding out for other offers.

What would you guys do in this situation? We don't want to appear desperate but we don't want to get gazumped either!
  • Too late, my wife called them and they've spoken to the vendor's wife apparently but she's not dealing with the sale and can't get hold of her husband. Delay tactics...?
  • copperjar
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    Too late, my wife called them and they've spoken to the vendor's wife apparently but she's not dealing with the sale and can't get hold of her husband. Delay tactics...?

I would imagine the EA will get back to you even if they get another offer on the house. So hold your nerve, you have made your offer and now is the awful waiting period! Good luck!!!
    [STRIKE]
    [/STRIKE]
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Any updates Hazyjo?

THANKFULLY the market has slowed in Leigh-on-Sea. None of the four houses I like have gone yet - although we do definitely still want that particular one. It's perfect for us.

Getting our front fence replaced before getting house valued. The quickest they could do that is 19 October! OMG ages away - I'm tempted to get it valued anyway. I don't want to lose it :/ Oh well, what's meant to be and all that...

Good luck all! Stressy isn't it lol.

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    I would imagine the EA will get back to you even if they get another offer on the house. So hold your nerve, you have made your offer and now is the awful waiting period! Good luck!!!

Thank you! :-) The EA says that the vendor is selling the house for his aunt and is going to get back to us as soon as they can. I can only assume she's had to move into a home at short notice because there's a car in the garage, most of the furniture is still there and there's some food and other bits and pieces in the cupboards.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure