Add your feedback on energy supplier Sainsbury’s Energy

Comments

• sesame
    sesame Posts: 5 Forumite
    Likewise with the previous poster PEARL, we had just decided to do a switch from Npower to Sainsbury's (Fixed Price October 2015 tariff) having done the comparison on MSE Cheap Energy Club. It came in just the cheapest but had the added bonus of getting Nectar points.
    Today we received the welcome letter in which they are asking for a deposit of £215 to be paid within 14 days. The deposit is £90 for electricity and £125 for gas. The letter goes on to say these figures represent the average amount of gas/electric I would use over 6 months? I do not know where they are getting their representative figures from as with MSE Cheap Energy Club calculations I would use around £700 a year on electricity and £420 a year on gas (standing charges not included).
    They go on to say that the money will be kept for a year and provided my bills are paid on time the money would be refunded. It also says the deposit may be held for longer if the bills are not paid on time.
    I have been paying Utility bills for over 25 years, the majority of that time by Direct Debit and have never ever missed a payment. With Direct debit it's hard to miss payments anyway.
    So they expect us to hand over £215 now and let them earn the interest on that money just for the privilege of using their service.
    We already spend lots of money with Sainsbury's but we do not like the tone of this letter and their attitude towards new customers is disgraceful.
    Well they can swivel we are taking our business elsewhere.
    This information needs to be updated on the MSE Cheap Energy Club Tariff details.:mad:
  • jenmary
    jenmary Posts: 8 Forumite
    The feedback has proved useful thanks, and I decided not to switch to Sainsbury's.
    Chose Ovo instead - their feedback was much better, and savings were similar.
  • smub99
    smub99 Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Has anyone else had problems switching from British Gas to Sainsbury's energy? I submitted an application to switch via cheap energy club on 29th October and have yet to hear anything. I understand it can take unto 6 weeks, but I am almost at the 6 week mark without any news.

I had contacted Sainsbury's Energy a few weeks back and they did not have my details. Looking at the FAQs it says this a common occurrence, so I have continued to wait.

In the meantime I have had numerous issues with British Gas. They have twice switched me to one of their fixed price tariffs, without me requesting this, and it appears they are sainsburys' plans, however not quite as cheap. I realise that they are affiliated to each other so I was wondering if there has been some sort of confusion along the way? When I ask British Gas they are at a loss. Have others had this problem?
  • I opted for Sainsbury's (recommended by Cheap energy club) and clicked all the boxes. I had been with Scottish Power and was tired of calling to ask for money in credit back as they refused to reduce my direct debit.
    Sainsbury's have been quick and easy - yesterday I got my cashback! - I didn't even realise I qualified for it. I just wanted a cheaper direct debit. Now paying £80 less a month and very happy.
    I believe I will be served by British Gas vis Sainsbury Energy - as long as the cost is competitive I will be happy. Wish I'd done it sooner.
    Izzy xxx

You don't visit a Cannibal's house and not expect to be on the menu.

:eek:
  • kkd
    kkd Posts: 8 Forumite
    edited 22 December 2014 at 10:20PM
    After reading feedbacks I finally decided to switch from Npower to Sainsburys(British gas):beer:. I will update forum about this new relationship, as I had terrible one with Npower which provides statements as when it deem necessary without any logic patten and always in-accurate.
  • kkd
    kkd Posts: 8 Forumite
    UPDATE-Received my last bill from Npower. The bill shows usage till 07/01/2015.
    Now still waiting for Sainsbury energy to contact me for meter reading as was told transfer date was 09/01/2015.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2015 at 9:59AM
    I have just changed from them, the switch went fine, their online resource was fine & the customer service was fine, the issue was they kept randomly upping my bill whenever there was a slight increase in usage, like over winter. They would double my bill with little notice.

I ended up cancelling the dd, switching & then asking for a final bill, which came in 300 quid less than their "estimated used" for the period.

I gave regular readings every month or 6 weeks yet they still kept "estimating" what my usage would be & upping the bill to suit that.

Am now with extraenergy & using the exact usage I had with sainsburys for the previous year on both gas & elec, my DD is £75 a month cheaper than the last increase Sainsbury tried to impose.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • I have just cancelled the switch as they wanted £215 deposit form me and that's half my energy usage in a year !!! Never been asked before for a deposit and I am not about to start paying...hmm British Gas too...no thanks..The Energy Club fail to tell you this too!!
  • Kontiki
    Kontiki Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 January 2015 at 6:40PM
    When I check on the energy club Sainsbury comes out cheapest for me BUT it says they can't monitor the switch & I can't get cashback. However my daughter tried & they can do the switch & she can get £30 cashback???
    Ed
  • At the beginning of 2014, I wanted to go dual fuel as good single deals had run out. I was with EON and BG. Best and equal deals were with Sainsburys and BG except for a few independents such as OVo which did not suit due to changing DDs or bad customer service etc. so tried BG first but the changeover would be convoluted as coul not simply become a dual fuel cust it would be done in stages and I would have to mange with some of time on standard tariff. So went to sainsburys as new cust, instant change to dual fuel on cheap tariff. I am of course actually stil a BG cust! Sainsbury,BG still read the meters in one visit and give paper bills at this cheap rate. Energy club update me with best deal. New jan 2016 still good for me. Finishing letter received from sainsburys. before end of feb2015 tariff so changed to jan2016 tariff no penalties instant savings and reviewed reduced DD. On the day I changed the sainsburys customer team had just received details of price cuts soo told me to watch the Internet and,ring them after feb27 for instant changeover with no penalties if there is a better tariff. I could not be more pleased. Unfortunately no payment for Martins money tips, but I am very grateful.
    Walace
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure