How to live Mortgage Free with Sarah Beeny - Channel 4 Tonight

Comments

• To be fair, they featured a couple who paid off their mortgage by overpaying and living frugally.

Also, there were some left-field ideas, like building on brown sites and buying unconventional spaces like the tin box church, which can't be mortgaged.
  • AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Apart from the couple who paid off their mortgage early by being frugal (£50k salary between them so it is possible) and the lady who amazingly designed a house and had it built on a brownfield site (with no architect involved apparently), the other solutions seemed to me to be fairly temporary.

I sometimes wonder with the property programmes - I do watch them but they change their tune completely depending on what the market is doing.

The canals in London are getting congested and I have read that there are incidents of 'barge rage', mainly with people in adjacent flats getting fed up of the noise coming from their engines, particularly at night.

I live near narrowboats and have thought about selling up and moving into one but then where does that leave me regarding equity? I don't want to be in a narrowboat when I'm in my 80s..;). It looks like quite a nice lifestyle but I have enquired and think the costs of fuel are much higher than those quoted on the programme. Safety for a single lady would also be a concern.
  • Yes I thought it was going to show people more like us, but I still enjoyed it as the concept of mortgage free living is barely discussed in 'real life'. It made me feel a lot less of a MFW Freak
    Mortgage Start - August 2013 £145,000 ************ Balance at April 2017 - £59,000

Target - Overpay by £2,500 each month ************** Mortgage free by December 2018!
  • BookWorm
    BookWorm Posts: 2,464
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have just watched the programme, and the thought I had about living on boats was - what do they do about mail? If you don't have a permanent mooring, presumably you don't have an actual address either? I accept there is less physical post these days due to electronic communication but you still need an address to be registered at for various things.

Not sure if that is me just being overly practical :rotfl:
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    Maybe they use a work address. You can also get a PO Box quite simply and you just pick up your post from a designated mail centre.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,450
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    JimLad wrote: »
    Completely misleading title....

In summary....how to live mortgage free?? live on a boat.

Boats look like fun, but I doubt they're as cheap as people think. A reasonably built house should outlive a human, boats not so.
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    Depreciation must be a massive problem. I'd consider living on one for a year or so but would be concerned about selling it on and getting back on the property ladder.

I suppose it's more of a lifestyle choice but I agree it might not be all that moneysaving.
  • freshcotton
    freshcotton Posts: 223 Forumite
    A house is better in the sense it remains an asset, but a boat maybe better than renting, especially in expensive areas.

The young women on the program had spent £100k on rent over a relatively short period of time.
    Mortgage Start - August 2013 £145,000 ************ Balance at April 2017 - £59,000

Target - Overpay by £2,500 each month ************** Mortgage free by December 2018!
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,285
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Catching up on this weeks programme and I am pleasantly surprised with the first Lady. Elaine is trying to become mortgage free, not by being rich or blagging off wealthy relatives. But by making small adjustments and sacrifices to achieve it. This is what I thought, or hoped the show would be about. Well done Elaine. :T
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £65.52 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • greyfox
    greyfox Posts: 482
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Elaine used to be a regular on here. I haven't seen her around recently, though. She also has/had a blog called Mortgage-free in three with recipes etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure