It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Options

Comments

• irishlassie
    Options
    I've been a long time lurker here at MSE, havent got a dairy yet but come here daily for inspiration. I think you have done amazing to have come this far, :beer:
  • LolaLemon
    LolaLemon Posts: 958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi!
    Fellow single mum wanting to be mortgage free too! I have just set up a dfw diary, as i have £5000 in debt, not including the mortgage, so one i have got rid of that (£2500 on a new-to-me car, ford focus studio tdci, 2008 - needs to get a cd player and soon as their is a gapping whole!)

sneaking on at work, so must disapear again!
    Living Simply, not simply living.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Frugal Living for fifth year running. (2010-2015)
    Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sholly wrote: »
    Haha, that's happened to me before too!! :rotfl: Thanks Becky, do you have mortgage challenge too?

Sholly x

I do indeed! And I need a bit of a kick up the bum after Christmas to get back into action now :rotfl:
  • AlwaysThinking
    Options
    Looks like the start of an inspirational thread Sholly!

Before I bought my first house I went to see a recruitment consultant because I wanted to get a new job with better pay to help fund my dream of buying my first home. She nearly fell of her chair laughing when I explained this as I wasn't on much at the time, 'you'll be waiting a fair few years on a salary like that' she said! Shortly after that I got a small pay rise in the job I was in and hotfooted it to the building society to see how much I could borrow, bought a house that needed lots doing to it cause thats all i could afford (had never done any DIY in my life!) and over time created a beautiful home. I don't live there any longer but rent it out for a healthy profit, its a lovely reminder that I did achieve the impossible and can do so in the future with my current mortgage free mission!

Best of luck Sholly - you can do it! :)
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Good luck Sholly! And don't forget to have lots of fun along the way!
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • Sholly
    Sholly Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for your kind and inspiring messages, I really appreciate you taking the time to send them :)
    I've been a long time lurker here at MSE, havent got a dairy yet but come here daily for inspiration. I think you have done amazing to have come this far, :beer:

Thank you so much, that means a lot :) so far so good :)
    LauraJo wrote: »
    I'm thinking of switching my bank account to First Direct as it sounds like they do all of the hard work and they pay you £125 for the pleasure...hmm, will have to look into this a bit further.

Hello and welcome!
    I too have been laughed at for my impossible dreams (I am still aiming to pay mine off by end of next year - something not even my husband believes!) You are right to let it make you more determined!!

FD are excellent BTW - been with them for several years and they are so easy to deal with

Great, thanks for the advice LauraJo, will give them a ring.
    WOW well done!!!! Your target is so close!!!! If you don't mind me asking, how have you done it? Have you been a hermit for a few years or have you managed all of this and been able to have a life too?
    kirstypark wrote: »
    hi sholly, loved reading the start of your diary, brought back memories, i was 18 when we got our first mortgage and our parents had to sign the credit agreement, although they did not help us out. And when the midwife came to check on my 2nd baby, she tried to take my mum through to the bedroom to examine her instead of me!

Wish i had been as clued up as you at your age, we spent ages in debt, and never thought of paying off our first mortgage early..although it was always a millstone round our necks. Finally paid it off last year, and only then did we realise that we did not need to pay the remaining mortgage over the next 15 years as the banks had planned. Aiming for 4-5 years, then would love to do some oversea work, knowing my house is safe at home.

Haha really?? So not just door-to-door sales men that get these things wrong then? My Mum has been asked if my son is hers before, she LOVED that!!!!
    I wish I'd known sooner too, I always just assumed 25 years meant 25 years! I refuse to give them so much interest though! 4-5 is a fantastic target :T well done and good luck. Where abouts do you want to work? I wish I'd travelled before I had my son but it wasn't meant to be, will make up for it once I'm debt and mortgage free :)

Hope you're all well xxxx
  • Sholly
    Options
    LolaLemon wrote: »
    Hi!
    Fellow single mum wanting to be mortgage free too! I have just set up a dfw diary, as i have £5000 in debt, not including the mortgage, so one i have got rid of that (£2500 on a new-to-me car, ford focus studio tdci, 2008 - needs to get a cd player and soon as their is a gapping whole!)

sneaking on at work, so must disapear again!

Hi LolaLemon! Oh yes, a CD player definitely required, have you tried eBay? Well done on setting up the new diary, do you have a mega debt/mortgage busting plan?
    Beckyy wrote: »
    I do indeed! And I need a bit of a kick up the bum after Christmas to get back into action now :rotfl:

It's so tough to get back into the swing of things after Christmas, do you have a mortgage-free date in mind?
    Looks like the start of an inspirational thread Sholly!

Before I bought my first house I went to see a recruitment consultant because I wanted to get a new job with better pay to help fund my dream of buying my first home. She nearly fell of her chair laughing when I explained this as I wasn't on much at the time, 'you'll be waiting a fair few years on a salary like that' she said! Shortly after that I got a small pay rise in the job I was in and hotfooted it to the building society to see how much I could borrow, bought a house that needed lots doing to it cause thats all i could afford (had never done any DIY in my life!) and over time created a beautiful home. I don't live there any longer but rent it out for a healthy profit, its a lovely reminder that I did achieve the impossible and can do so in the future with my current mortgage free mission!

Best of luck Sholly - you can do it! :)

Aw, thank you - I really hope that I can be inspiring, that would be lovely - I honestly didn't think anyone would read my opening post, I thought I'd mainly just be talking to myself!! :rotfl:

Your story is also very inspiring, you sure showed her!! How did the DIY go? Any injuries!? How long until your mortgage-free date?

xxxx
  • Sholly
    Options
    Good luck Sholly! And don't forget to have lots of fun along the way!

Thank you!! I will, with a 4 year old it's hard not to have fun :) I just need to ensure that it's low-cost, or even better....free!!!

xxxx
  • LolaLemon
    Options
    Hi LolaLemon! Oh yes, a CD player definitely required, have you tried eBay? Well done on setting up the new diary, do you have a mega debt/mortgage busting plan?

xxxx

I dont have aplan as such yet, i have 13ish years lefton my mortgage. Im aiming to be completely mortgage free - or at least completely own one home outright, by the time im 40, so thats 10 years, but in my head i am only giving myself 7 years to pay this one off.. now my problems are - just started a new full time job, 3rd month now, so effectively i can start applying for new deals, BUT i live in a wooden house (yep, all wooden! scandinavian pine to be exact.) and i no longer know who lends on these types of houses. I am currently with NRAM, the part Virgin didnt want to take on from Northern Rock. I also have the small matter of insurance claims for being off sick/made redundant and the insurance not paying out to pay my credit card, me not paying whilst disputting (didnt have a penny spare to give them :() so my credit file wont look too good just now. I have started paying the CC when i got the job.... so a looong upward climb i have in front of me.

This year i am going to clear the cc and loan to my dad (that can go longer, but i'm hoping to have paid completely in 18 months, he has said i only need to pay as and when i can.) After that, i will then pay max overpayments into mortgage, and hopefully be with a different company.

This is going tobe my first month with the pension taken off, i've guestimated that i have £100 to play with every month after all bills have been paid and some money put in savings (so i can take son away for a caravan holiday, or buy something of neccessity)
    Cheap Christmas '15

Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
  • LolaLemon
    Options
    Thank you!! I will, with a 4 year old it's hard not to have fun :) I just need to ensure that it's low-cost, or even better....free!!!

xxxx

What sort of things do you do with your four year old? My 5 year old loves to make play doh, just befor echristmas we made cinnamon playdoh and he took it into his school on the last day, all the kids in his class loved it! We had been playing with it for about a month before he took it in. it lasts ages if stored correctly. i wrap ours in some cling film and then put in a tupperware box.
    Cheap Christmas '15

Weight Loss - 5b/55lb
    Books Read 2015- 7/30
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport