Renovations and Repayments.

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I put everything on a cashback card now Alex and just have a small amount as personal money in cash, I find it so much easier to see where all the money goes that way.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    May Targets:
    Days getting longer and summer only around the corner, May is the month to sell a no longer wanted classic, I think.

Organise trip to Rutland Water with in-laws.
    Now have a day.
    Organise Whitsun holiday. 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Trip to the coast.
    Start work on the bathroom More work happening over this week, I think by the end we will have some items fitted.
    Total Grocery Spend: £205 / £400.
    Surplus Money: £230 / £1,000.
    11.30pm bedtime: 8 / 31.
    Meditation: 9 / 31.
    Schedule / Spreadsheets: 15 / 31. Keep finding ways to utilise spreadsheets at the moment. :o
    De-clutter and Sell: 1 / 5 items. Plan for tomorrow is to work on this for a few hours.
    New Recipes: 1 / 4.
    Books read for pleasure: / 3.
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire. Spent some time on this today. 3. Demolishing a bathroom. Think I can safely say this is done. :eek:
    Good to see you back Alex - your Son's illness explains where you had gone. Watch that selling stuff bug, it can become a bit of a compulsion! Before you know it you will have accumulated enough for the bathroom, then the mortgage, and next thing you'll be on the FIRE trail ;)

:rotfl: I got heavily into selling stuff when I was a DFW. However, it was more buying stuff to sell on rather than selling surplus stuff we don't need. Would like to get back into a bit of antiques / pens / watches dealing. :)
    maman wrote: »
    That's great news! It'll give them something to occupy their time instead of relying on you to entertain them as well as the obvious healthy eating.

Hopefully, in time, they can rebuild a relationship with LittleK.:)

Poor little chap (that's LittleK not you!:p). Thinking about it though he's had minimal illness since starting school which is unusual. Hopefully it'll be the same for you when you 'start school'. It's very common to pick up every bug going until you build up an immunity.

No problem with looking to your parents for help in the circumstances. I would imagine it must have been very difficult if LittleK was violently ill with no functioning bathroom. It's just that I don't want you (or them) to get too comfortable with you being there.

I think you've done really well with your grocery budgets lately. It is possible to eat healthily without it being too expensive. I think the way forward is plenty of planning so you don't waste food or buy ready made stuff, have smallish meat portions balanced by plenty of vegetables and keep away from the cake shop!

However you pay it off and I'm sure you will it would be good if you did it so you can move on to the next project rather than because you don't trust yourself with the 0% card.

Hope you have a good weekend now that MrsK's back and things returning to normal.:)

My father called today for advice on using "notes" on iPad as they've slightly modified a recipe and want to share it with me. Find it rather hilarious they call me for tech advice. :rotfl: Quite pleased they seem to have found a new hobby, though. :) They are much more pleasant to be around when they are kept busy.

They have mentioned my son and I going to them in the half term holiday one day for my son to bake some cakes with them and for me to have a day of peace and quiet. :eek: Not really going to happen in their company. :rotfl: I'm going to speak to my son about baking with his grandparents as a plan for a day in the holiday but am going to give him the final say for if he wants to or not.

My son has had a few illnesses since starting school, nothing major or like last week, though. The school is very small which I think probably helps and he seems to have quite a strong immune system, thank goodness.

Thank you re. grocery budget. :) I am pleased with it too and we are eating healthily, probably more healthily if truth be known. Planning has become something I'm slowly becoming accustomed to it. I've gone from dreading it to embracing it. I was concerned it would potentially bring some issues of control I used to have but it hasn't. Glad I'm over that and understand things cannot always go exactly as one would wish, nor can one hold much influence over others.

We will definitely pay off the 0% card. :) I am concerned about the debt but I also realise if I am going to be successful with some of the business plans I have for the future, I need to be able to deal with debt / borrowing in a sensible manner.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    newgirly wrote: »
    I put everything on a cashback card now Alex and just have a small amount as personal money in cash, I find it so much easier to see where all the money goes that way.

I remember telling you I could never be comfortable with doing things this way on your diary. :rotfl:

Not 100% comfortable with it now but after the first few DDs have gone out of the account and I realise we can sensibly manage our finances, I do think it may ultimately be the right choice and well, there's the money for nothing element but that's because I'm a tight northerner. ;)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,583 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It's great that something as simple as cooking is proving so good for you, LittleK and your parents. I do hope he feels able to take them up on the invitation for half term.

AlexLK wrote: »
    I remember telling you I could never be comfortable with doing things this way on your diary. :rotfl:

Not 100% comfortable with it now but after the first few DDs have gone out of the account and I realise we can sensibly manage our finances, I do think it may ultimately be the right choice and well, there's the money for nothing element but that's because I'm a tight northerner. ;)

I do almost all my shopping this way just keep a bit of cash handy for the odd pint of milk. It's all credit to you (excuse pun) that you can use a card and not overspend.

Managing things like using the card and the 0% for the bathroom are great steps towards bigger projects in the future. You've come such a long way. :T
  • kelpie35
    kelpie35 Posts: 1,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    You are doing so well Alex.

Keep up the good work.

Pleased that your son is feeling so much better, long may it continue.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    AlexLK wrote: »
    My son has had a few illnesses since starting school, nothing major or like last week, though. The school is very small which I think probably helps and he seems to have quite a strong immune system, thank goodness.

School is the place to develop your immune system a bit - exposing the children to each other so that if one gets a bug, they all get it at the same time. It's much "healthier" that way and their immune systems all benefit. My Mum had a German Measles party to make sure we all got it. We always seemed to catch everything but have really good immunity now. I hardly ever get colds or chest infections (just as well with asthma!). My Sister only got mild chicken pox and subsequently the virus came back as shingles when she was in her thirties. That was much more serious.

My husband also gets a batch of snuffly grunty infections with each new year's intake as he gets exposed to a new mix of germs - and they catch them from each other as their localised immunity is tested with batches of different local germ colonies.

So a long way of saying don't worry. There's a lot of merit in the old saying, "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!"
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    May Targets:
    Days getting longer and summer only around the corner, May is the month to sell a no longer wanted classic, I think.

Organise trip to Rutland Water with in-laws. Now have a day.
    Organise Whitsun holiday. 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Trip to the coast. 3. Son baking with parents.
    Start work on the bathroom More work happening over this week, I think by the end we will have some items fitted.
    Total Grocery Spend: £205 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: 9 / 31.
    Meditation: 10 / 31.
    Schedule / Spreadsheets: 16 / 31. A little to do after writing this.
    De-clutter and Sell: 1 / 5 items. Plan for tomorrow (today) is to work on this for a few hours. :rotfl: That didn't happen.
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire. 3. Demolishing a bathroom.

Had an impromptu meal out with my wife and son as she was working in Derby for the day so we drove there after school, had a walk around the city (which is awful and seems to get worse every time I visit :() then met up with my wife. Avoided going in a couple of shops that are nice, I have far too many clothes and don't tend to buy things that go out of fashion luckily so haven't needed to replace any items for a long time. Think I will order a couple of new shirts for September which will be expensive (sorry but I refuse to buy cheap shirts) as a couple could do with replacing and I need to buy a new Barbour this autumn too. One I've had for years is awful and the other, whilst OK, could do with becoming the dog / shopping jacket and replacing for a new one to wear for school. Considering also buying another linen jacket for school during spring / summer. So this year is looking a little more expensive than the last few for personal clothing spends. However, a few years back I didn't think about what I needed and would just buy things which I still wear today. My wife has admitted she doesn't need to buy any new clothes this year which is definitely a first. :eek: :rotfl:
    maman wrote: »
    It's great that something as simple as cooking is proving so good for you, LittleK and your parents. I do hope he feels able to take them up on the invitation for half term.

I do almost all my this way just keep a bit of cash handy for the odd pint of milk. It's all credit to you (excuse pun) that you can use a card and not overspend.

Managing things like using the card and the 0% for the bathroom are great steps towards bigger projects in the future. You've come such a long way. :T

My son is going to my parents' to bake. :) I saw mother and father today and told them if I hear of any unsavoury behaviour I will not accept it and they will not see my son or be invited to days out over summer. They were surprised but seemed to accept the terms. Took father for an appointment with his GP, to my surprise he has opened up about his problems with control / regret / guilt and has agreed to try counselling. Quite pleased he recognises the way he has treated my son and I in the past is unacceptable. However, I can't say I'm convinced he will really change all that much.

Thanks, maman. I am concerned enough about debt that I will not overspend. As we plan our spending now, there's not really any room to overspend thankfully. :)
    kelpie35 wrote: »
    You are doing so well Alex.

Keep up the good work.

Pleased that your son is feeling so much better, long may it continue.

Thank you, kelpie. :)
    School is the place to develop your immune system a bit - exposing the children to each other so that if one gets a bug, they all get it at the same time. It's much "healthier" that way and their immune systems all benefit. My Mum had a German Measles party to make sure we all got it. We always seemed to catch everything but have really good immunity now. I hardly ever get colds or chest infections (just as well with asthma!). My Sister only got mild chicken pox and subsequently the virus came back as shingles when she was in her thirties. That was much more serious.

My husband also gets a batch of snuffly grunty infections with each new year's intake as he gets exposed to a new mix of germs - and they catch them from each other as their localised immunity is tested with batches of different local germ colonies.

So a long way of saying don't worry. There's a lot of merit in the old saying, "Whatever doesn't kill you, makes you stronger!"

We've always been very lucky with our son health wise but I do wonder how he will fair with the cold / germ / bug type infections when he attends a larger school. :eek:
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    May Targets:

Organise trip to Rutland Water with in-laws. Now have a day.
    Organise Whitsun holiday. 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Trip to the coast. 3. Son baking with parents.
    Start work on the bathroom Work is happening but it seems all too slowly. Going to our neighbour's for a shower everyday is getting old, despite them being nice people and making us breakfast and nightly visits to the loo outside isn't helping me to get a good night's sleep. A bit too much information there. :rotfl: The bathroom situation is bothering me the most but I think that's because I'm here all day and am dealing with the work being done.
    Total Grocery Spend: £215 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: 10 / 31.
    Meditation: 11 / 31.
    Schedule / Spreadsheets: 17 / 31.
    De-clutter and Sell: 1 / 5 items.
    Learn something new or refine a skill: 1. Continue learning and applying new knowledge to create more sophisticated and streamlined spreadsheets. 2. Learn a new piece of repertoire. 3. Demolishing a bathroom.

Not in a great frame of mind today. Took the dogs for a walk with my mother and she thinks I'm causing my father to be "reflective". I have had a few difficult conversations with them about how they treat my son and I recently which I know has upset my father and prompted him to do what he did yesterday. She got a bit annoyed with me again showing she thinks anything can be solved by throwing money at it.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 11:34AM
    There's research that a shower everyday is unnecessary and bad for your skin. You could skip the odd day and just brush your teeth and have a 'festival wash' with some baby wipes or a soapy flannel. ;)

Or if you have a swimming pool/leisure centre in driving distance what about a swimming or sport trip as a family a couple of times a week and use their showers after?

It'll all be worth it when the new bathroom is done! I'm decorating at the moment and doing it all myself between shifts and the disruption is starting to get to me a bit now, so I feel your pain!

If your father is reflecting, that can only be a good thing. It might not be easy on your mum but maybe it will trigger some uncomfortable feelings and thoughts for her too. Just because changing and becoming a better person isn't easy doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do it. Look at you, it's not been easy for you to get to where you are, but you've grown so much and made such positive changes to the way you think and how you approach people and situations.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 18 May 2017 at 10:26PM
    May Targets:

Organise trip to Rutland Water with in-laws. Planned a few more details today.
    Organise Whitsun holiday. 1. Trip to R.W. 2. Trip to the coast. 3. Son baking with parents. 4. At least one quiet day dog walking etc. 5. Swimming (thanks, Red Squirrel :)).
    Start work on the bathroom Starting to see some progress with this now items have started to be fitted today. :) Not in a usable state yet but despite being concerned about our budget the suite so far looks fantastic. Also means we are getting a lot closer to the 0% debt going live. :eek: Managed to have a laugh with my father about it today, though. He said if a 0% debt was all he had to worry about at my age he'd have been grinning from ear to ear. I asked him if he thought I'd be able to handle this responsibly and he said he thinks I will.
    Total Grocery Spend: £235 / £400.
    11.30pm bedtime: 10 / 31.
    Meditation: 12 / 31.
    Schedule / Spreadsheets: 18 / 31.
    De-clutter and Sell: 1 / 5 items.

Struggling a bit today. I've been volunteering at school and it's been a bit of a hard day. Pupils have been generally bad tempered and I don't think I delivered a particularly good session to one group or handled some behaviour issues in the best possible way. I'll move on from it and know what I need to do next week. Things like this happen sometimes. Going to have an unexpected car bill also which it has only threw at me today; having investigated I've also found another problem which means I'm going to be re-building the diff so might as well do a rear brake overhaul and a few other jobs. Mrs K and I will probably be able to get it all done in one weekend, though we need to get the car we want to sell gone.

We've decided we aren't going to France this summer. I'd rather put the money towards getting the debt paid and we are still going to have a holiday as we're going to go to Spain for a week which will cost our flights and food only. My mother is going to drive us to the airport to save on parking / taxi fees. Definitely going to France next year, though. :)

Told my parents I won't see them until next week as we are busy with other things. I suppose I was quite blunt about it but I do need to have some boundaries in place.
    There's research that a shower everyday is unnecessary and bad for your skin. You could skip the odd day and just brush your teeth and have a 'festival wash' with some baby wipes or a soapy flannel. ;)

Or if you have a swimming pool/leisure centre in driving distance what about a swimming or sport trip as a family a couple of times a week and use their showers after?

It'll all be worth it when the new bathroom is done! I'm decorating at the moment and doing it all myself between shifts and the disruption is starting to get to me a bit now, so I feel your pain!

If your father is reflecting, that can only be a good thing. It might not be easy on your mum but maybe it will trigger some uncomfortable feelings and thoughts for her too. Just because changing and becoming a better person isn't easy doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do it. Look at you, it's not been easy for you to get to where you are, but you've grown so much and made such positive changes to the way you think and how you approach people and situations.

Never heard that. IIRC you are a nurse, so I assume would be privy to such research?

We have a leisure centre in driveable distance and go swimming sometimes. Not been for a few weeks so have made it a "something to do" over the holiday. :) Also gives us something to do this weekend as we were a bit stuck. Thank you. :)

The decorating between shifts sounds like hard work. Yes, I'm starting to see the project will be worth it now. :)

I think I have inherited at least some of my father's depressive tendencies. Never realised it at the time and he would always deny it until recently but I think he has some issues with mental health. Recently, his memory has been of concern but this seems to be improving. He is under the care of the medical profession and they have thankfully not found anything untoward (he does have other health concerns but everything is stable at the moment). Father goes through periods of remorse and regret for the past, though he usually returns to his old self which in turn disappoints me. I don't want him to be upset, just to not tell me he wishes he'd behaved in a different way only to behave in the way he regrets to my son. Anyhow, he'll do what he'll do ultimately.

My mother is different. She doesn't regret any actions she has taken in life and believes they / she are / is were / was right.

I seem to have been playing counsellor to others again today. Friend from school who had a bit of drug problem has now fell head over heels in love with a girl he's met a couple of times (story of his life, there) but is concerned she won't be interested when she finds he's divorced / has some financial problems. Mrs. K. put it in perspective when she said "so, he's not concerned she'll run a mile over the fact a few months ago he was high practically everyday but a marriage that didn't work out and a few late payments mean it's doomed from the start ... tell him not to give her his log on to Experian and that at our age I doubt she's still angelic." Harsh but she does amuse me.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills