Fidelity Accumulation Fund - a scam?

Comments

• chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    AHB2019 wrote: »
    Well I have spent a lot of time looking at a lot of Fidelity documents and seen nothing; there is certainly nothing in my annual statement, In my case, it is in an ISA, so presumably they don't need to provide that information for HMRC purposes.

We found Fidelity extremely poor at communication, I think the problem is that the people you speak to on the telephone don't understand what is going on, but even worse, instead of saying something like 'I don't know, but I'll transfer you to someone that does' they tend to guess, and they often gave us incorrect information. They compensated my wife a couple of times, and really wound me up a few times. In the end we moved to HL, where we are much happier.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Our most successful product by a long way, was Fidelity European Values. In twelve years, they turned our twelve grand into a hundred grand, at which point I panicked and sold. Another year would have seen twice that sum! If you are not happy, replace the product and company with another. There are zillions!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,213 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you Masonic. I am not sure that putting something on page 237 of an annual report (presumably aimed at industry professionals) would count as clear communication with retail customers!
    The information is provided in a clear format. There is only a large number of pages because there is a large number of funds. It's only 3 pages per fund and not really any more difficult to understand than the KIID.

Some retail customers might have difficulty understanding it, but those individuals would be referred to their financial adviser. If a customer doesn't have an adviser, then as a DIY investor the onus is on them to familiarise themselves with these standard industry reporting formats and gain a thorough understanding of any prospective investments before investing.
  • masonic
    TrustyOven wrote: »
    People here are being a bit too harsh on the OP. Cut them some slack please.

When I first invested, I too understood the basic principle but didn't understand the mechanics of how the dividends were re-invested.

It was difficult to see whether the price change of a fund was due to normal market fluctuations instead of the dividends being reinvested.

And I couldn't get my head around how the fund was tracking how much dividend it was to add to my holding as opposed to other people's holding of the same fund (now I can rationalise it in my head, so it's all good now).
    It's fair enough not understanding. People here are happy to help those who don't really understand how their investments are working in practice. However, I don't think it's the providers fault when the customer's understanding is somewhat lacking. Most importantly, it isn't a scam.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 8,996 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    TrustyOven wrote: »
    People here are being a bit too harsh on the OP.
    Maybe it was the inflammatory title suggesting that Fidelity was involved in some sort of wrongdoing?
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,580 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Another question: the chart shows the fund performance compared to the FTSE all-share index. Surely if it was an accumulation fund it should massively outperform the index, as it is reinvesting rather than providing an income.

It does. Compare the graphs and you'll see
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thank you so much coyrls. This gives the following information:

Fidelity Index UK A
    Dividend type Dividend amount Tax indicator Ex dividend date Payment date
    Interim 2.563 p Dividend 01-Mar-2016 30-Apr-2016

But (please be patient with my questions!) how do I know that the dividend was entirely reinvested (as opposed to partially reinvested), and is there any way of finding out what effect the dividend reinvestment had on the unit price?

yes, compare it with its "sister" income fund

Another question: the chart shows the fund performance compared to the FTSE all-share index. Surely if it was an accumulation fund it should massively outperform the index, as it is reinvesting rather than providing an income.

Apologies if these questions are seemingly dumb.

The best an index fund can do is track the index with a small loss. It should never outperform the index (and certainly not massively) !! because its aim is to track it and the only way it could outperform it would by by holding shares in different proportions to the FTSE AS which it shouldn't do.

What it is compared with should be the FTSE AS with dividends reinvested otherwise its not a good comparison since there should be a 2-3% variance each year in favor of the acc fund.

When choosing an index tracker IMO the only metric that matters is, how low the management fee is (assuming it is tracking well). The management fee must detract from the tracking since there's nowhere else for it come from. This fund seems to have a very low fee (0.08%) so thats likely the best you'll get.
  • masonic
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    The best an index fund can do is track the index with a small loss. It should never outperform the index (and certainly not massively) !! because its aim is to track it and the only way it could outperform it would by by holding shares in different proportions to the FTSE AS which it shouldn't do.
    I think the point being made above was that the difference in price performance would approximate to the dividend income retained by the accumulation fund. Though describing that as "massive" would be quite an overstatement.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    masonic wrote: »
    I think the point being made above was that the difference in price performance would approximate to the dividend income retained by the accumulation fund. Though describing that as "massive" would be quite an overstatement.

Over say 10-20 years that could be significant, indeed, dare I say it .... massive :D
  • masonic
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Over say 10-20 years that could be significant, indeed, dare I say it .... massive :D
    I'm sure that would be the case, but the unit class the OP is trying to compare launched on 27th May 2014, so the retained income since inception is unlikely to be quite that significant. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure