Private Medical Consultation - additional fees

A while back I had a private consultation that was quoted at £200. I had the consultation and had a test done. A few weeks later I was charged around £380 for the test and £70 for prescribed medicine. The £70 charge I was aware of, the £380 was a shock.

Turns out these were just the private hospital charges. I still owe the £200 for the consultation and I'm getting invoice reminders. At no point was the additional price given to me until the invoice came through.

Should I pay the £200 and try to get my £380 by trying to argue consumer rights - hidden charges. Or should I ignore the £200 invoice. I'm moving house shortly. Could this end up in a CCJ that I miss if I just ignore this.

I feel I have been treated unfairly. It wasn't clear that the test wasn't part of the consultation to me and charges were explained at no point but don't want a debt hanging over me.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you take a pet to see a vet, you don't expect the consultation fee to cover tests or drugs.

A consultation is seeking someone's opinion and not actual treatment.
  • I didn't take a pet to see a vet. I didn't receive treatment. I didn't receive costs of the test any time before receiving it, I didn't agree to the cost at any point and it was not clear that a test is not part of the consultation. Consumer rights act protects strongly against hidden charges and I have won consumer rights cases before. I've researched it a lot, and I know there is a strong case here. I HAVE to receive and accept the £380 quote.
  • kratosthegreat
    kratosthegreat Posts: 130 Forumite
    edited 19 December 2016 at 9:37PM
    teddysmum wrote: »
    If you take a pet to see a vet, you don't expect the consultation fee to cover tests or drugs.

A consultation is seeking someone's opinion and not actual treatment.

Also I've never had a pet so I wouldn't know. See how that statement suddenly becomes invalid? That is true by the way. But it's also completely irrelevant. I was involved in a consumer rights case were the business tried comparing something to purchasing a holiday. Completely different scenario, as is this, and they lost the case.

And I never expected £200 to include cost of drugs. I paid for and accepted the prescriptions costs after receiving the price for them. You need to read my post more carefully, attention to detail is key.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Could this end up in a CCJ that I miss if I just ignore this.
    Yes.

Don't ignore it, let them know if you are struggling financially but don't ignore it.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,521
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I would expect to pay extra for tests, but I would also expect any additional costs to be discussed beforehand or at the time.
    How was the appt arranged and were you sent any written information e.g. Insurance terms and conditions?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Did the consultant do the test as part of the consultation or were you sent to another person for the tests?
  • elsien wrote: »
    I would expect to pay extra for tests, but I would also expect any additional costs to be discussed beforehand or at the time.
    How was the appt arranged and were you sent any written information e.g. Insurance terms and conditions?

It was arranged through the PA of the consultant who completely failed to mention any costs of any of the tests. The hospital it took place at did ring and mention that there were potentially additional costs for tests but gave no prices.

I had the consultation, the consultant did the test, didn't tell me there would be a charge for this or what the charge was (to me it was just like a doctor getting a stethoscope out. I genuinely thought it was part of the consultation.) It wasn't through Private insurance I just funded myself for a speedy appointment.
  • indiepanda wrote: »
    Did the consultant do the test as part of the consultation or were you sent to another person for the tests?

He did the test during the consultation, the test to me was pretty much the consultation.
  • elsien wrote: »

I would have thought that the majority of people who go for a private medical consultation are covered their insurance. Whenever I've been, costs for tests or follow up consultations were never discussed.
  • Cloudydaze wrote: »
    I would have thought that the majority of people who go for a private medical consultation are covered their insurance. Whenever I've been, costs for tests or follow up consultations were never discussed.

It varies on every insurance policy. However this wasn't funded by insurance, it was a self-funded consultation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure