Full & Final offer worried!!

This is my 1st post on this forum I am looking for some advice if possible please
We are in month 52 of our 5 year inter-locking IVA's I have been made redundant and have received 20 weeks pay I am only part-time so this amount is £3900 I am struggling to find new employment due to several factors.
We contacted our IVA firm, at the start of the IVA's we were expected to pay in £7800.00 which was a dividend of 0.14p in the £
after conversations with the IVA company they have said we are currently ahead with payments we currently pay £210.00per month they have told us we have equity so a 12 month extension so I would be expecting £210.00 x 20 payments £4200.00 as a full & final offer but they have advised us to offer £1380.00 this will would be a total of £13,500 and 0.23p in the £. Any thoughts on this offer? the money is being funded by my mum I know she wouldn't be able to go to the £4200 as she simply doesn't have this money I am worried this will not be accepted but this is one of the larger IVA firms and they seem quite confident about it.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,848 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Well whats the alternative for them ? as you have been made redundant, something is better than nothing.

My IVA ended in a similar fashion, i was made redundant, but i offered all payments to date as full and final settlement, i was in month 58, this was accepted by my creditors, usually your IP knows what they are talking about, so i would be inclined to take there advice on this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • CocteauTwin
    CocteauTwin Posts: 11 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi and well done for keeping up with your payments of 52 Months. It's entirely up to you but I would try to offer as near to what the payments would have realised. I would probably go for 3k - can it not come from a third party? As a gift? With the proviso that it was a 'take it or leave it' offer. Good luck though!

Debt free: Full and Final accept April
    Completion Certificate arrived:June

Payplan were a good company throughout my IVA.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Tiredofdebtnow

Welcome to MSE. It would make sense to offer your creditors what they would have received had the IVA completed. However given that your IVA company is suggesting a much lower offer could be accepted it would make sense to start with that.

Should your offer be rejected you could then make an increased offer. Fingers crossed the £1380 will be accepted, good luck.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thank you All
    My F&F meeting is set for the 6th July, I can only hope for the best now my offer will be 0.23p in the £ it was originally expected to be 0.14p in the £ if it is not accepted not sure what will happen but I will face that if & when it happens. :)
  • kaffenback
    kaffenback Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have just recently been through this: at 4 years into my IVA, with a mortgaged property and having taken the maximum 6 month payment break, so in reality with another 3.5 years to go (due to the extra 12 months payments in lieu of the impossible remortgage attempt required at end of 5 years), I was paying around £128 a month when I had to reduce my working hours from 5 days to 3 due to ill health. My mother in law very kindly offered to help me settle the debt, so we made an offer of £3000 which was eventually accepted, after an initial refusal because they thought I was going to retire due to ill health. To carry on to the bitter end would have cost £5120, but as with your circumstances my ability to pay that had been severely reduced (though in reality we would have found a way) thus making the creditors look favourably at getting some jam now versus risking losing it all later, I suppose.

Now just waiting for the paperwork to come through then I am completely debt free :) Meanwhile keeping up the mortgage has meant the property has accrued about £25000 in added value due to rising house prices, whilst the outstanding mortgage has also been reduced by about £25000. This means being able to retire from my stressful job when my work pension is due at 55 and do something more relaxed, then retire completely by age 65, as by that point will be mortgage free :)
  • Update: Certificate of Completion now received and we are in the process of selling our house and buying a property under Help to Buy Shared Ownership paying outright for the 40% share, so no mortgage and rent plus service charges just over £200 a month :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure