Pensions Planning: The NUMBER

Comments

• So how close are you - i.e. are you 34 years old or 61?

42, so another 25 years to go until state retirement age.
  • RenovationMan
    RenovationMan Posts: 4,227 Forumite
    edited 29 December 2010 at 10:54AM
    peterg1965 wrote: »
    Sounds like a good position to be. Downsizing house, however, tends to release less capital than you originally plan. Take into account Stamp duty/conveyancing/moving costs/Estate Agents fees, as a minimum and that will begin to eat into your captital.

The other point I would make is that for a lump sum of £200K, the last thing I would be doing at 65 is to buy an annuity, particularly with your other pensions making your position very comfortable. I would invest the £200K and drawdown an income from it. Giving to an insurance company in return for an annuity (at a poor rate) is akin to throwing most of it away. Although, I do recognise that every individual is different and that 'a one size fits all' approach isn't always appropriate.

I agree, the last thing I will be doing with either my released equity or private pension would be to buy an annuity. I have the guaranteed income from my company CA pension so will have the security from that to give me the confidence to put the rest of my investments into drawdown. With the equity that I have released I will be putting that into tax efficient shelters.

I also agree that the costs of selling the house will eat into the equity. I have a plan to buy some land and build my own super energy efficient retirement cottage. There is no stamp duty on land sales and new builds are free from VAT, so apart from getting a completely bespoke home, it will also be tax efficient.
  • Gatser wrote: »
    What is the examiners question here please?
    Just to check your calculations?
    Are you seeking to use property value as part of your retirement income?

It was prompted by your comment
    Gatser wrote: »
    That does not seem a great return on investment, but perhaps I am missing something?
    I think I would want around 7%+

This got me thinking and I wanted to check that I was not going down the wrong route or the correct route but doing it wrong!

I am planning on property providing a proportion of my retirement income so wanted to check my workings really and make sure I am not missing anything major out.
  • Gatser
    Gatser Posts: 624 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I am planning on property providing a proportion of my retirement income so wanted to check my workings really and make sure I am not missing anything major out.

OK Thanks.

I have read recently that BTL is looking a good bet in 2011-13 for cash buyers, with property prices stagnating but rental demand (and rents) on the increase.
    Something to consider for the 25% lump sum perhaps?

Surely it will give better returns than cash deposits, and we are limited what we can put in ISA's anyway.
    THE NUMBER is how much you need to live comfortably: very IMPORTANT as part 1 of Retirement Planning. (Average response to my thread is £26k pa)
  • Gatser
    It's a good idea to review your NUMBER every now & then.

I need to review ours...looking at recent TESCO bills!

What's your NUMBER breakdown in 2011?
    THE NUMBER is how much you need to live comfortably: very IMPORTANT as part 1 of Retirement Planning. (Average response to my thread is £26k pa)
  • Gatser
    Looks like our NUMBER needs to change... University funding/support now required. :(

So Inflation is going to be at 5%, and we are all going to suffer?
    (BoE) Pension planning is a constant challenge....

What's your NUMBER?

Food bills are continuing to put pressure on the figure.
  • Gatser
    I read today:

The recession has had the effect of reducing expectations of what a comfortable income in retirement is likely to be, from £27,900 in 2009 to today’s figure of £24,300.

We all seem to be coming up with the same figure...
    These austerity measures are having an impact on the NUMBER too!!
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Gatser wrote: »
    I read today:

The recession has had the effect of reducing expectations of what a comfortable income in retirement is likely to be, from £27,900 in 2009 to today’s figure of £24,300.

We all seem to be coming up with the same figure...
    These austerity measures are having an impact on the NUMBER too!!

If you are a couple.... is the NUMBER your joint income on retirement?
  • Rob_192
    Rob_192 Posts: 289 Forumite
    Moby wrote: »
    If you are a couple.... is the NUMBER your joint income on retirement?

The number is whatever you feel you need to live comfortably in retirement. For many (most?) it's not going to be their income on retirement.

For those following this NUMBER concept, establishing the NUMBER is very difficult. I know what we live on month to month, almost to the ppenny, but it's making alloowance for those big one-off expenditures (replace car, house maintenance etc) which I struggle to work out. Being a frugal type, I currently service our own cars and do all the maintenance on the house etc, but am I still going to be doing this when old and frail? I doubt it! Either I've got to get the kids trained! or start making some allowance for this.

R
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Well, I dunno. All these people who want to live off BTL. In retirement my plan is to live off BLT. Much more fun. More fun than nuts too.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure