Charged for credit card offence

Few months back I fell into some financial difficulties which resulted in me embezzling money from my office. I had thought of returning the amount after I overcome my financial problems but couldn't do so. Last month I got caught and was fired. They have filed a case against me. I met Kostman & Pyzer Barristers in Toronto, they heard the whole story from me and have decided to appear from my side and make sure that I get only the minimum possible sentence for credit card fraud.
But this is going to affect my career for sure. How will I be able to have a good career after this trail? Is there any way I can remove this incident from my history.

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Jon_Bake wrote: »
    Few months back I fell into some financial difficulties which resulted in me embezzling money from my office. I had thought of returning the amount after I overcome my financial problems but couldn't do so. Last month I got caught and was fired. They have filed a case against me. I met Kostman & Pyzer Barristers in Toronto, they heard the whole story from me and have decided to appear from my side and make sure that I get only the minimum possible sentence for credit card fraud.
    But this is going to affect my career for sure. How will I be able to have a good career after this trail? Is there any way I can remove this incident from my history.
    You could move to the UK and start a new career. We welcome pretty much anybody. Changing your legal name is also a good way to avoid potential employers googling your name and finding a court case about you. If asked about criminal convictions though you must reveal it.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • andyfromotley
    andyfromotley Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    Hi,
    in the uk there is a principal called 'spent' convictions. (or the rehabilitation of offenders act 1974 to give it the fancy title.) In effect after a certain amount of time (depending upon the sentence received) you do not have to declare your convictions to anyone.(although certain jobs and positions are exempt from this law and you still have to declare it, ie police officer etc. Certain convictions Murder Rape etc do not fall under this law but the vast majority do. The purpose is to give convicted persons a clean slate after a few years.

There are an awful lot of similarities in english and canadian law, so it may be that you have something similar. Ask your lawyer.

Even with this your actions are going to have a significant impact upon your future life, but your life isnt over, many many people go on to have successful lives after criminal convictions, they tend to be the ones who reflect upon their actions and address the weakness of character which failed them when needed.

Ime (which in criminal law is significant) sentences are always lighter where the offender has made good the loss. If you havent done so, do so as a matter of urgency!! (although dont nick more money to do this!!)
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Get elite hacking skills, hack your criminal records department and erase it from existence.

With these new elite hacking skills you can then hack the banks and do it properly the next time without getting caught.

Or you could just go troll some where else.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    I wouldn't describe it as "overcoming your financial problems" more like "building up many more" lol

Still you will be more than welcome in the UK as this criminality is about as serious as feeding the pigeons these days.

Even burglars who kick their victims unconscious only get 3 years!
  • mcpitman
    mcpitman Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Jon_Bake wrote: »

This is a wind up isn't it?

If not, you made your bed, lie in it. :mad:
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    You stole money.

You got caught.

Of course this will affect your career.

Please do not come to the UK, we do not need any more criminals.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    mcpitman wrote: »
    This is a wind up isn't it?

If not, you made your bed, lie in it. :mad:
    Why would it be? Some people do reach a point in their life which make themselves think the only option is to commit a crime. People make mistakes in their life and there is a time limit for doing as you suggest before moving on with one's life. A conviction only needs to be revealed for a relatively short amount of time. For a crime of that nature (a very minor offence) it's likely a fine will be given to the offender for a first offence and it's probably only going to need to be revealed for 1 year (if in UK). Once that period is over there is no need to mention it ever again. The problem is with Google and it's ability to remember things from years ago from your past that you wish could never be mentioned again.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    Why would it be? Some people do reach a point in their life which make themselves think the only option is to commit a crime. People make mistakes in their life and there is a time limit for doing as you suggest before moving on with one's life. A conviction only needs to be revealed for a relatively short amount of time. For a crime of that nature (a very minor offence) it's likely a fine will be given to the offender for a first offence and it's probably only going to need to be revealed for 1 year (if in UK). Once that period is over there is no need to mention it ever again. The problem is with Google and it's ability to remember things from years ago from your past that you wish could never be mentioned again.

It is not UK, it is Canada, no idea of the differences.

All I know is that if I was employing someone I would want to know that they had previously embezzled money from an employer. It is all about trust, if you are willing to do it once what is to stop you doing it again.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • I'm a Candian citizen and have been charged for credit card offence as I have an outstanding debt of 750 CAD in the form of credit cards. This amount is on due since 6 months as I'm unable to pay due to some financial issues. Last week on the way to home, I was caught by the cops and filed a case against me. My wife has hired the Toronto-based lawyers - Kostman and Pyzer and promised to appear from my sad. I was actually surprised by this and I wonder why the banks are over reacting. This issue could also be tackled by a normal discussion rather than by making a big issue. I was just wondering if I did commit an offence or if the bank were just over reacting?
    Thanks.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    This is a UK-based site, and under UK law, you haven't committed a criminal offence, with debt being a civil issue. I know nothing of Canadian law.

What does surprise me is that you have the money for legal representation, but not to pay your credit card bill.
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport