How much do decorators charge?

2»

Comments

• ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I think it often is a case of looking around and asking for quotes. I had some garden work done - cutting down 9 trees and removing stumps, pruning 3 others. I had quotes from £1400 + VAT to £330. I went with the £330 and couldn't be much happier - he did a brilliant job, lots of advice of what can we do to improve the soil and turf, how to look better after the trees we have got left, gave us some leads of where to get the cheapest sleepers in the area, etc.

The same with plastering - two rooms plastered, from £1000 to £380, but the cheapest wouldn't remove the radiators. Also, time scale was from 2 days work to a week! In the end I paid £420, and they did a good job. Just waiting for it to dry so I can paint.
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • ginvzt wrote: »
    I think it often is a case of looking around and asking for quotes. I had some garden work done - cutting down 9 trees and removing stumps, pruning 3 others. I had quotes from £1400 + VAT to £330. I went with the £330 and couldn't be much happier - he did a brilliant job, lots of advice of what can we do to improve the soil and turf, how to look better after the trees we have got left, gave us some leads of where to get the cheapest sleepers in the area, etc.

The same with plastering - two rooms plastered, from £1000 to £380, but the cheapest wouldn't remove the radiators. Also, time scale was from 2 days work to a week! In the end I paid £420, and they did a good job. Just waiting for it to dry so I can paint.

With respect your tree work sound very cheap so I am guessing that he didn't have appropriate insurance, and what was done with the waste? Like yours could turn out fine but if something had gone wriong you would have very little come back

Its like everything in life "you pays your moeny you takes your chance". Its usually only when something goes wrong you find out exactly what you have (or more likely have not) paid for.

Not a dig just stating :D
  • jkgray wrote: »
    Yes. I just don't pay over the odds. I was happy to pay £100 for the paint and £100 per man per day.

Are you a decorator looking to justify his prices?
    I'm no professional decorator, but you can't prepare, undercoat, gloss and emulsion all in one day without cutting corners. I don't suppose it matters though when somebody else has to live in superficially decorated accommodation. The price is immaterial.
    What is happening to the English Language? These are not isolated, but repeated every day.
    'Definate', 'Aswell', 'Rediculous', 'Payed'...and the best of all 'Could Of'. How can anyone think that 'Could Of' can actually mean anything. You may as well write 'Could Zebra' for all the sense it makes.
  • jkgray
    jkgray Posts: 196 Forumite
    I'm no professional decorator, but you can't prepare, undercoat, gloss and emulsion all in one day without cutting corners. I don't suppose it matters though when somebody else has to live in superficially decorated accommodation. The price is immaterial.

Why some people on these boards feel the need to make baseless assertions that a job must have been done to a poor standard because some of us don't pay over the odds is beyond reason. I suspect it is either because they wish to make themselves feel better over the overinflated prices they pay or because they themselves are charging overinflated prices.

I would suggest that a more productive and informative way to behave would be to simply post what you have paid or charged and let the original poster make their own mind up.

For the avoidance of doubt, the job was done to a good standard by men charging a reasonable rate.

The property is not some backstreet dive, it is a holiday rental rented out at £100 - 120 / night. Guests would not rebook if the place was a mess.

Finally, the price is obviously material, I'm paying it!
  • jkgray
    jkgray Posts: 196 Forumite
    ginvzt wrote: »

I could not agree more.
  • jafsie
    jafsie Posts: 266 Forumite
    paullwill8 wrote: »
    I charge £15 per hour, as far as I am aware this is around the going rate, the average size room is normally around £180-£220.

I hope you live in/near Leeds paullwill8, we recently got 3 quotes for hall and stairs painting, I reckoned on 2 days work (we had already bought the paint)

The 3 prices were near to each other around £950

Eventually I got it done for £200 but the man has since emigrated to Australia so if we need work done in the future he's no longer available.
  • ginvzt
    ginvzt Posts: 4,878 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    With respect your tree work sound very cheap so I am guessing that he didn't have appropriate insurance, and what was done with the waste? Like yours could turn out fine but if something had gone wriong you would have very little come back

Its like everything in life "you pays your moeny you takes your chance". Its usually only when something goes wrong you find out exactly what you have (or more likely have not) paid for.

Not a dig just stating :D

Why people are always so suspicious? Yes, he had full insurance, and is incredibly busy - probably because he does a good job and doesn't charge extortionate amounts.
    Spring into Spring 2015 - 0.7/12lb
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    jafsie wrote: »
    I hope you live in/near Leeds paullwill8, we recently got 3 quotes for hall and stairs painting, I reckoned on 2 days work (we had already bought the paint)

The 3 prices were near to each other around £950

Eventually I got it done for £200 but the man has since emigrated to Australia so if we need work done in the future he's no longer available.

you could always pay for his airfare back , at those prices you'll still be quids in
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure