British forces parcel to Falkland islands

Hi my son due to be posted to Falklands by end of month,4-6 months posting. Really need ideas of what to send for Xmas.anyone have any experience of what loved ones will find hard to obtain. Have read about 'blueys' for keeping in contact . Is the falkland island included in the 2kg care box. If not any info on cheapest route to post would be grateful... Family Christmas dinner coming early to our house this weekend.:(

Comments

• Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Proud Mum,

All information can be found from this website -

https://www.gov.uk/british-forces-post-office-services

Regards,

AO
  • Fergie76
    Fergie76 Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm sure he would love a PS4. :-D
  • Fergie76 wrote: »
    I'm sure he would love a PS4. :-D

I'm sure he would..you must know him lol. Would be worried posting something that pricey. That can be his welcome home treat.xxxx
  • Falkland Islands aren't included in the free postage I'm afraid,
    You can send blueys free of charge tho ( available from post office )

I think for a box weighing a couple of kg's it will cost you about £8 to post.
    I sure he will give you a list of what he wants sending out to him, depending on how close to certain facilities he will be

Oh you can always have gifts sent directly from Amazon as well :)

Wishing your son all the best...

Mel :)
    "I live my dream today, I lived it yesterday and I'll be living yours tomorrow":smileyhea

If you don't want to work, you have to work to earn enough money so that you won't have to work ;)
  • dawnteabag
    dawnteabag Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Postage will be free at Christmas -certainly was last year - I sent over 20 parcels to my sister and family stationed there.
    There is a massive library so very easy to get hold of DVDs etc. in fact only thing she really missed was fresh fruit and veg which is difficult to get hold of but that's not really something you can send out.

Cakes sweets crisps etc all get-able but expensive.
  • mrsp89
    mrsp89 Posts: 33 Forumite
    My DH has done 3 6month tours out there - one thing I would say is just remember that our winter is their summer so maybe no wolly hats or such like!

I sent my OH an expensive I-pod one year - I knew I was taking a risk but I just wrapped it up tight and wrote on that I was sending 'music' (as you have to write on whats in the parcel) so that knowone knew what it was and no - one was tempted to open it!

My OH used to love getting chocolate - they do have things down there but they definately dont have the selection we have here!

I dont think they have many clothes shops down there - my DH used to order loads of new clothes and get them sent out so maybe some new clothes?

Defiantely send a mini xmas tree and an xmas pud for him though!!

Another pointer just incase you didnt know, you can send blueys online now .. you can type them up, add photos and send them off - That was so much easier than the old style!

Oh and make sure you wrap his boxes in the pinkest paper around - everyone sees them so sure to create a little embarressment - that was one of my favourite bits of sending things down there ;-)

Good luck and I hope the time flies for you both, I know it can be tough xxx
    Mummy to a gorgeous son :happyhear
    Happily (Most the time:rotfl:) Married - 01.03.2014
  • madvixen
    madvixen Posts: 577 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My hubby is out there at the moment and I've been trying to send him a parcel every couple of weeks. I've been adding in things like:
    Airplane kits (I got 12 on Ebay for £1)
    Interesting little books (the works have some great ones)
    Puzzle books
    Haribo
    Sweeties, biscuits and cakes
    Shower gel (it's expensive out there)
    Deoderant (as above)
    Andrex Washlets
    Baby Wipes (all sorts of uses)
    Antibac wipes (he likes these for his room)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure