Minimum mortgage amount that I can borrow...yes I said MINIMUM!!

Hi
Approaching the end of my current mortgage fixed rate, I will be wanting to change obviously. I want to whack my savings into the mortgage and then will have to pay back I reckon about 25 - 30k. Am I able to take out a new mortgage of this amount or do the lenders only want to offer a minimum so they can reap the rewards by way of interest???

Thanks

Comments

• £25k normally

Consider an offset and you can get your savings back if you need them and they have the same affect against the mortgage as paying it off.

You never know whats round the corner
    I am a Mortgage Advisor
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Advisor, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    HSBC has/had a minimum of £10k. First Direct is the same I believe.
    £25k+ will not be a problem. Less than £10k would normally be classed as a personal loan.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    You should be fine with the amount - the problem I now encounter is the fees for new deals. Makes no sense to save a bit on interest while having to pay almost £1k for the privilege (mine's quite a bit less than £20k now). I'm currently on SVR and will wait and see what happens.
  • thenap80
    thenap80 Posts: 421 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yeah, I guess with a mortgage of 25k or less, it wont be worth the 1k admin fee just to save a couple of hundred in the interest dept. I hope to pay the 25k off within a year so will not want to be adding extra on top. I think the interest rate will be the SVR after the fixed rate ends and they stated 4.something. So thats less than the 5.72 I am currently paying on my fixed rate so i will be better off anyway!!

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport