turning off 3g on htc desire

pennywise2
pennywise2 Posts: 222
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
Hi all , i have spent all morning googling how to turn of 3g on the desire and have tried various things but i still have the 3g icon on my task bar .
How do i know if its on or off ??

cheers pennywise2

Comments

• bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156
    Forumite
    before i give any links or suggestions, can i ask why you want to turn off the 3g and what do you hope to achieve with that being off. there are quite a few misconceptions about the need to do so. some are valid reasons but most arent! there might be other useful options instead which doesnt need you to download anything.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • pennywise2
    Forumite
    edited 16 July 2010 at 11:38AM
    Thanks bubblesmoney for the reply .
    My reason for turning off my 3g is my new contract doesn't start till the 19 th and as far as I know my simplicity doesnt have any data allowance so would prefer to stick to WiFi till 19 th .
    Hope this makes sense
    Regards pennywise 2
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Press the menu button and choose settings, choose Wireless & networks and then untick the box next to Mobile network...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• pennywise2
    Forumite
    Thanks meepster , these are the steps I took and the 3g icon still shows on my task bar .
    Is it normal for the icon to remain there after being turned off ?
  • pennywise2
    Forumite
    Thanks meepster , these are the steps I took and the 3g icon still shows on my task bar .
  • pennywise2
    Forumite
  • Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Try rebooting your phone and then following the same steps...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• bubblesmoney
    bubblesmoney Posts: 2,156
    Forumite
    edited 16 July 2010 at 1:10PM
    the 3g icon has nothing to do with data connection. data can go via 4g / 3g / 2g / hsdpa / gprs / edge / cdma / wcdma / umts / wifi / bluetooth etc etc.

for switching off the data connection, you can long press the power button on the top of the phone and that will bring up a pop up menu with options " power off / silent mode / vibration mode / airplane mode / mobile network". choose the last one called 'mobile network' and it switches off the data connection as far as i am aware.

the same can also be achieved by installing the mobile network widget. press + which is present on the bottom left of your home screen then select widget then settings then 'mobile network', this widget will be installed on your home screen, you can move the widget to any home screen by long pressing the widget then moving it where ever you want it on that screen or move it sideways and you can install it on any of the 7 home screens that you have. you can similarly install the other 4 widgets that you get with it too using the method described here.

using the mobile network widget allows you to totally switch off the data connection and to turn your smartphone into an old fashioned phone that can just make and receive calls and text only.

another useful widget is the power control widget. see video on how to get it as it is present factory installed on your phone and you dont have to download any such widget from the market to do the same things. see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oJh4xGMdSQ and in that you will see how to install the power control widget which has 5 icons, the 4th icon switches off the data synching, but data can be used still if you manually open browser etc. but the phone wont on its own use the data. see which option suits you best. read the manual preinstalled on your phone, see in the apps section or settings or see htc website.

using the above mentioned widgets things will be much faster for the future as you can quickly change the settings rather than having through wade through settings menus. i use these widgets every day to save on my data and battery power.

3g actually uses less power when 3g signal is available than either 2g or wifi.

there are other fancier options that automatically change the settings based on your location but they cost money and you can do it manually instead like i mentioned above.
    bubblesmoney :hello:
  • pennywise2
    Forumite
    Thanks bubblesmoney .
    Of to try some of these suggestions
    Pennywise 2
  • pennywise2
    Forumite