Deed of Variation

1234568»

Comments

• Ol_Jay
    Ol_Jay Posts: 66 Forumite
    Potentially, Jay, the state gets a two for one: both would lose their benefits by the full amount of the sum involved. I don't see any provision in the regulations to limit the DOV to only stopping one person's benefits.
    g6jns wrote: »
    A good point! The Government get two bites at the cherry. As the saying goes there are only two certainties in life: death and taxation!

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Interesting scenario!,and it makes me appreciate having a job that (little) bit more, sometimes it pays :beer: :dance:
  • patanne
    patanne Posts: 1,286 Forumite
    Total lay person here. This stinks to high heaven of deprivation of assets. If it legally isn't then it should be. You are entitled to receive some money, but this will mean your benefits are stopped until you have spent this money. So you give this money to someone else & you hope they will give some of it back to you or why would you give it away when you haven't got much yourself. No doubt in my mind - if it isn't deprivation of assets then it really ought to be.
  • Ol_Jay
    patanne wrote: »
    Total lay person here. This stinks to high heaven of deprivation of assets. If it legally isn't then it should be. You are entitled to receive some money, but this will mean your benefits are stopped until you have spent this money. So you give this money to someone else & you hope they will give some of it back to you or why would you give it away when you haven't got much yourself. No doubt in my mind - if it isn't deprivation of assets then it really ought to be.

Agree.
    In that scenario,similar to my hypothetical scenario question, that it would,and probably should,be seen as deprivation. Outright fraud even.Certainly if giving it away temporarily,to someone to hide it!,or a quick trip to the caymans! Just to "regain" it later once working :mad:,if trusted friend hasn't disappeared with it :rotfl:
    Why bother.

Purely academic query from me,interesting that the gov would penalise twice,or two people, for the same sum though.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Similar double tax happens with gift with reservations.

Counts in the estate for an IHT assessment and potential CGT for the recipient.

When IHT planning you should consider multiple generations not just at the time you do your will but potential future changes.

As people pay off their mortgage and house prices rise they can go from relatively low assets towards the Nil rate band limit quite quickly, then inheriting half a parents estate could seriously take them over, generation skipping is a good way to solve this.

In the old days this was done as assets/business down the generations with income up, so the older generation owns very little but have good income from the family assets.

Some still do this but work mobility has spread families throughout the country so much less practical.
  • Ol_Jay
    Similar double tax happens with gift with reservations.

Counts in the estate for an IHT assessment and potential CGT for the recipient.

When IHT planning you should consider multiple generations not just at the time you do your will but potential future changes.

As people pay off their mortgage and house prices rise they can go from relatively low assets towards the Nil rate band limit quite quickly, then inheriting half a parents estate could seriously take them over, generation skipping is a good way to solve this.

In the old days this was done as assets/business down the generations with income up, so the older generation owns very little but have good income from the family assets.

Some still do this but work mobility has spread families throughout the country so much less practical.

Interesting, thanks.
    Sorry for just posting this now, and (to the OP) if hijacking.

I have read and tried to digest this thread and now wonder about how some of it could maybe be relating to a situation i'm currently embroiled in?
    I'll perhaps start own thread ,to avoid any possible further hijacking,later. It's a night off work so :beer:
  • g6jns_2
    g6jns_2 Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    Ol_Jay wrote: »
    Interesting, thanks.
    Sorry for just posting this now, and (to the OP) if hijacking.

I have read and tried to digest this thread and now wonder about how some of it could maybe be relating to a situation i'm currently embroiled in?
    I'll perhaps start own thread ,to avoid any possible further hijacking,later. It's a night off work so :beer:
    It might be best to start again as this thread got very complicated and may not be relevant to your circumstances.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure