MoneySaving Poll: Should a man take paternity leave instead of a woman?

2»

Comments

• tracyn
    tracyn Posts: 10 Forumite
    Health officials recommend breastfeeding for at least the first 6 months. How does a man do that?

It's quite easy. My husband does it all of the time. It's called expressing. Thanks to a simple Madela breast pump I was able to return to work and continue breastfeeding for a further 7 months, well beyond my daughter's first bday.

Also, while breast milk is recommended until the age of 6 months, I think you'll find that the majority of mothers do not breast feed that long. Sometimes they can't (and often are devastated about it), sometimes they don't wish to for a number of reasons. Rightly or wrongly, if the baby is going to be formula fed, then there's absolutely zero reason from a feeding point of view why the father cannot be the main carer.

Finally, I would point out that the parental leave can be taken concurrently so if they split it evenly, the mother can still breastfeed to the recommended age without expressing.
  • hgotsparkle
    hgotsparkle Posts: 1,282 Forumite
    I think its depends on the couple, for us, I know OH would maybe take the first week off to help, but he'd be useless on his own with something that doesn't speak, he can't grasp non-verbal communication, or put up with babies crying for that matter.
  • Spidernick
    Spidernick Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Perhaps someone could explain to me how a woman is going to take 'paternity leave'!!!
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
  • I had 2 weeks when both our kids were born, With the first it was just a free holiday but with the second I couldn't wait to go back to work. If we had gone for a third I would have found a way to weasel out of it :)
    Nothing to see here, move along.
  • mapk
    mapk Posts: 157 Forumite
    I believe both are entitled to some time off, no?
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    I'm not sure caring full time for a baby qualifies as "time off". Going out to work tends to be more restful. Paternity leave after a birth tends to be taken so both parents are at home rather than for one parent to take sole charge of the child's needs.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • HulkRogan
    HulkRogan Posts: 73 Forumite
    Balance is the best. I think parents who can should split the leave.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure