Interview at Sainsburys (and working there in general)

Hi

I've an interview soon for Sainsburys working on the tills. Does anyone work here/been interviewed. I'd be grateful if you could share your experiences with me...good and bad.

I've only had one job before applying to this one, so I have little experience of interviews considering my first interview was basically "tell me when you're available to work" so all information is welcome.

Thank you:beer:

Comments

• I find this website useful: http://www.jobsite.co.uk/bemyinterviewer/

Good luck!
  • You got an interview so they liked your application. Think back to what you wrote on your application and think of some questions they might ask. Most important thing is to just be yourself. Well done on getting the interview - just be confident now and you'll get the job.

Good luck! =)
    whinge intr.v. whinged, whing·ing, whing·es Chiefly British To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.
  • MrTomato
    MrTomato Posts: 771 Forumite
    Also, just to add, if anyone does have experience of working there; do you know if its possible to transfer between stores?

I'll ask at my interview but I wouldn't mind knowing now. Just for when I go to uni in October, or if I take a gap year.
  • MrTomato wrote: »
    Also, just to add, if anyone does have experience of working there; do you know if its possible to transfer between stores?

I'll ask at my interview but I wouldn't mind knowing now. Just for when I go to uni in October, or if I take a gap year.

I've never worked for the company but know quite a few people who have. Supermarkets and retail in general tend to be quite easy to transfer store to store in holiday and term time due to students moving away/coming back etc so I wouldn't worry too much.

I'm not sure whether you should mention it at the interview though as they may not give you the position if they think you will be on the move soon. Obviously if they ask, tell them but if not, I wouldn't mention it.

Good luck in your interview, just talk about customer service lots and you will be fine!
  • Hi MrTomato, I've worked for M&S, the interview wasn't at all like a standard interview you would expect. Questions were like 'Tell me of a time when you've had to work as a team to achieve a deadline?' or 'Tell me of a time when you haven't got on with someone you were working with and how did you resolve it?' The answers can be taken from a previous job, or College/Uni... I remember I just made my answers up!

I'm not sure if Sainsburys' interview style is the same, but try not to let it worry you (they're never really all that hard).

From what I remember about transfers (I think it's the same for most stores), you can transfer to another store if there's a vacancy in that store, but they take into account your HR record and sickness record. Another store wouldn't want to gain a member of staff with bad performance and/or sick record.

GOOD LUCK!
  • Im an x duty manager for Sainsbury's
    It should be easy to transfer from store to store
    The interview will be on a one to one basis and the queations are general ones that you'd expects why do you want the job etc?
    They may ask your uniform size so they can order you one and they will go through the hours you can work and any training you will need
    They have group traning days for you to attend
    I would give yourself an hour for the interview.
    Try and be very customer service focused in your interview. If they ask what you'd do if a customer asks where they can find something in store, tell them you'd take the customer to the item and show it them on the shelf then ask if you could be of any more help to the customer?
    Its one I always asked my candidates. Smile and be yourself!
    Mad Mum to 3 wonderful children, 2 foster kittens and 2 big fat cats that never made it to a new home!
    Aiming to loose 56 pounds this year. Total to date 44.5 pounds 12.5 to go. Slimming World Rocks!
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    I worked for Morrisons, not Sainsbury's but still retail. From what I remember the interview was quite relaxed. I was expecting to answer a lot of questions but I had the general questions about school, have you worked in retail before etc. They just want to get to know you really. Mention things about the customer is right etc you like working as part of a team and by yourself, how you can contribute etc.

I found they were more focussed on personal appearance more than anything tbh. It was my first ever interview and made a lot of mistakes but they still hired me. Good luck :money:
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • MrTomato
    MrTomato Posts: 771 Forumite
    I'm bumping this thread to ask:

Has anyone had an induction at Sainsbury's. Mine is soon, and I'm wondering what it'll involve.
  • Sequeena
    Sequeena Posts: 4,728 Forumite
    Induction usually involves a group of you sitting in a training room watching videos, filling out forms/booklets etc. Having a tour of the shop, giving your dress size to personnel so you can have your uniform and I think that's about it. Mine lasted for 9 hours but I was paid for it :)
    Wife and mother :j
    Grocery budget
    April week 1 - £42.78 | week 2 - £53.05
    24lbs in 12 weeks 15/24
  • julie1075
    julie1075 Posts: 222
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's a two day course now I think. It's very relaxed, covers all health and safety, tour of store etc, everything you need to know before you start really. You generally get your uniform on day 2 and your shifts as well, sometimes your manager will come and say hi if they are in. There is a lot of background on the company too but you're not expected to remember it all! After these 2 days you then will go and start training on your dept. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure