International & UK CallChecker discussion

Comments

• EliteSaver
    EliteSaver Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 23 February 2013 at 10:04AM
    Hi All

I need your advice

I been using Tele Savers to call US for a long time but last week I saw Planet Numbers with number 08437 150000 and there is no connection charge and I though I give it a try.

Looking at my bill today I see a connection charge.

Is that a mistake ? Why Planet Number is not showing connection charges under the call checker?
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    EliteSaver wrote: »
    Hi All

I need your advice

I been using Tele Savers to call US for a long time but last week I saw Planet Numbers with number 08437 150000 and there is no connection charge and I though I give it a try.

Looking at my bill today I see a connection charge.

Is that a mistake ? Why Planet Number is not showing connection charges under the call checker?
    Planet Numbers 1p/min Simply Dial 08437 150000
    BT charge their Call set-up fee for all chargeable calls.

Obviously, the above shows an error in the table. I have reported it.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • rapido
    rapido Posts: 392 Forumite
    Seems to be a habit of providers to offer cheap calls to Iraq mobiles, and for it simply not to work.

This time Planet Talk's 5p/min number gave a "number not in service" message after dialling the number in Iraq.

Again Cheap Calls 6p/min service rang immediately after dialling and was perfect.

Maybe I should stick to my usual rule of going for the second cheapest first, rather than the cheapest.
  • rapido wrote: »
    Maybe I should stick to my usual rule of going for the second cheapest first, rather than the cheapest.

I vaguely have that approach too and at a certain point its easier just to use 18185 instead as at least they don't charge me if the call doesn't connect properly. Although immediate diversion to voicemail if somone is on a call or has their phone turned off etc is always a potential hazard with a mobile.

The thing with the cheapest guys is I never know if its a deliberate con to get pat of the connection fees for the failed call or if its just because being the cheapest means you also have less bright IT people and use less reliable comms equipment.
  • jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    There seems to be an error in the checker - vectone are listed as 0p/min to Australia, but I have never known them to be that - 1p was their rate, then without a word, they have put it up to 3p! Thanks to the checker, lycamobile sim on the way... 1p/min plus £25 for £20 when you sign up.

Any issues to watch for? Were they the ones that didn't use true UK numbers (numbers that aren't included in UK allowances)?
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • Hello. I am an elderly lady and as I try to read all this information I am getting a headache. It is all so complicated to me. I have family in Ireland that I would like to call from time to time. I usually spend an hour on the phone. I am calling from a landline. What is the cheapest way for me please. Thank you in advance.
  • DaveAA
    DaveAA Posts: 87 Forumite
    jnm21 wrote: »
    Any issues to watch for? Were they the ones that didn't use true UK numbers (numbers that aren't included in UK allowances)?
    Several companies use numbers based in Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man.

They are still UK numbers, but are usually treated differently by most networks.
    Businesses using 084, 087 or 09 numbers will soon need to display details of the inbuilt Service Charge under Ofcom's "unbundled tariffs" plans.

Businesses using 084, 087 or 09 numbers for customer service, complaints, renewals, etc, will need to swap to an 01, 02, 03 or 080 number before the Consumer Rights Directive comes into effect June 2014.
  • jnm21
    I have thanked that post for the signature - very clear & great news!!!

OFCOM need to do the same for 07 numbers - declare ranges for non-UK (which Jersey, IOM, etc are).
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hello. I am an elderly lady and as I try to read all this information I am getting a headache. It is all so complicated to me. I have family in Ireland that I would like to call from time to time. I usually spend an hour on the phone. I am calling from a landline. What is the cheapest way for me please. Thank you in advance.

My elderly mother is set up with 18185, she just puts 18185 in front of any foreign call. Ireland landline would be 1p per minute. There are likely 0.5p tarrifs out there by using a long 0844 number in front. Catch with these is, you pay even if the phone is not picked up, and the providers regalarly switch their numbers resulting in paying for occasional fruitless calls.

These options assume you have a simple BT landline.
  • jnm21
    That was a very nice helpful post (not of any use to me I don't think, but thanked for taking the time to help the requester).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure