re-mbam scan

Comments

• Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you’ve decided to live with the (possible) rootkit situation make sure you delete all sensitive information on your PC such as email contacts, banking details, passwords etc. or any information which could possibly be of use to a potential hacker.

You also need to ensure the rootkit it doesn’t attack other machines on the network and that you don’t cross infect any other Windows machines you have, or come into contact with.

I still think it’s worth giving Kaspersky TDSSKiller a run to see if it finds anything so at least you will know if there is an actual infection. It’s simple to use and you can download it direct from Kaspersky’s website - if you can find it tucked away there - or from Major Geeks…
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kaspersky_tdsskiller.html
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    If confident, as you have W7 why not run ComboFix that may well sort it.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    "Avast" allows you to scan for rootkits at boot time, so other AV software probably does too - what AV software do you use?

Have you looked to see if yours does?

Doesn't solve the MBAM problem but may ease your concerns by running other software to check for potential rootkits
    Hi dan, I have Avast, and run boot time scan often, no sign of rootkit on it, but will do another now.:beer:
  • joe134
    edited 19 April 2017 at 11:29AM
    Gillor wrote: »
    If you’ve decided to live with the (possible) rootkit situation make sure you delete all sensitive information on your PC such as email contacts, banking details, passwords etc. or any information which could possibly be of use to a potential hacker.

You also need to ensure the rootkit it doesn’t attack other machines on the network and that you don’t cross infect any other Windows machines you have, or come into contact with.

I still think it’s worth giving Kaspersky TDSSKiller a run to see if it finds anything so at least you will know if there is an actual infection. It’s simple to use and you can download it direct from Kaspersky’s website - if you can find it tucked away there - or from Major Geeks…
    https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/kaspersky_tdsskiller.html
    Thanks Gillor, I would like to find it if possible, because, it may affect my I-pad and network, e-mail etc.
    Will try as you suggest now.:beer:
  • joe134
    joe134 wrote: »
    Thanks Gillor, I would like to find it if possible, because, it may affect my I-pad and network, e-mail etc.
    Will try as you suggest now.:beer:
    Just Run it, from your link, and it found nothing, which is nice to know.
    :)
    Just need to find out why, it crashes when I turn rottkits on in Mbam now?
    Will try the forum next.
    Thanks all.appreciate all your help.:beer:
  • joe134
    hans_2 wrote: »
    Confidence in the tech dept is not my strong point, but, will try anything, as I don't want to infect anything else, or be hacked, if not already.
    Does anyone on here actually have rootkit scan turned on, on their mbam as a default setting?
  • hans_2
    hans_2 Posts: 420 Forumite
    Does anyone on here actually have rootkit scan turned on, on their mbam as a default setting?

Default setting is off.
  • joe134
    Default setting is off.
    thanks hans, that's how mine was, until I turned it on, when it told me some settings were turned off, web, being one.
  • joe134
    just looked at combofix, and don't know if I'm up to what it may, or, may not do?
    never used it before, but, read about it on here before.
    I don't want to start something, I cannot finish:)
  • Gillor
    Gillor Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    just looked at combofix, and don't know if I'm up to what it may, or, may not do?
    never used it before, but, read about it on here before.
    I don't want to start something, I cannot finish:)

Great piece of software but if you are not sure what you are doing I would steer clear.

From Combofix website..
    Combofix is designed for advanced users and IT professionals. The software’s barebones interface, and powerful cleaning capabilities may lead to mistakes that can completely disable a PC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure