Free Office Software article discussion

Options

Comments

• candtalan
    Options
    defairmans wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this free packages come with an e-mail programme like Outlook Express? If not, is there a similar free programme?

I am always trying to convince my husband that we should take advantage of free software but he is wary and wants software compatible to what he has used before.

Thanks for the article MSE and all the helpful posters.

Mozilla Thunderbird is the one which comes to mind for email. It runs well in Windows and will easily bring in your information from Outlook Express.

Tell your husband I have not used Windows or MS products for years now, and doubt if I will ever go back for many reasons. I use Ubuntu. Find a local friend to help demonstrate it to you both. If you are ok with email or phone support then I will volunteer, send me a PM and post here to let me know to look please?
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've managed to download LibreOffice 3.4.3 onto my laptop but before I managed to complete this it kept prompting me to download a Java thingamajig. I didn't make a note of this I'm afraid.

If anyone knows what it is I'm talking about, can you please suggest a safe place to download this from as it doesn't appear to be performing properly?
  • waddler_8
    waddler_8 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre-6u27-download-440425.html

Accept the License Agreement, then download whichever one of these is relevant to your OS (32 or 64bit).

Windows x86 Offline 16.12 MB jre-6u27-windows-i586.exe
    Windows x64 16.39 MB jre-6u27-windows-x64.exe

Once downloaded, double click to install (XP), or right click and "Run as Admin", (Vista Win7).
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 October 2011 at 12:02AM
    Options
    waddler_8 wrote: »
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre-6u27-download-440425.html

Accept the License Agreement, then download whichever one of these is relevant to your OS (32 or 64bit).

Once downloaded, double click to install (XP), or right click and "Run as Admin", (Vista Win7).

Can you remind me how to check how many bits my OS is?

And do I click on both of these or the just one?

My operating system is Windows Vista if that helps.
  • waddler_8
    waddler_8 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options

It's this one you want. LO is only available in 32bit for Windows.

• Lugh_Chronain
    Options
    Bingo! Just tested using LibreOffice Text Document and appears to be working fine.

Thanks waddler!
  • aLawStudent
    Options
    On your student software page you should definitely have 'software4students.co.uk'.

I just bought Microsoft Office Pro Plus for <£40, an absoute steal. And they're legit.
  • vale46_2
    vale46_2 Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    without posting loads of links to the full list of free stuff
    i use Gizmosfreeware they have 100's & 100's of free apps tried and tested by regulars i've used it for years without any problems

the amount of free apps they have found is amazing from free antivirus.desktop apps.office suites.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

some stuff i use today i found on there

ccleaner - pc.temp file.net temp cleaner

audiocity - audio editor

imgburn - backup iso etc

7zip - zip extractor

painetnet image editor

avira - antivirus

malwarebytes - adware remove

libreoffice - microsoft office alternativew

comodo - firewall

creevity - mp3 art downloader

potplayer - multimedia player vid music etc

faststone photo resizer - reduce you dig camera pics mb size by 90% but keep the quality

iwisoft video converter - handy for putting stuff on your phone

minilyrics - have lyrics play with your mp3's

networx - keep a hourly,daily,weekly,monthly eye on your internet usage

pdfxchange - alternate to adobe

personal video database - keep a record of your DVD Collection

revo uninstaller - a lot better than windows add/remove

tag scanner - tag your mp3 files

mp3gain - make all your mp3's the same audio level

DVD STYLER . DVD FLICK Burn Avi etc to DVD Disc with menu's

and lots more all FREE

Dont buy Commercial until you've checked gizmo's
  • despr8
    Options
    ninite.com is an excellent one stop installer for tons of free software. Select the ones you want and it will install them without you having to endlessly click next. It also does not install the annoying free toolbars and junk that so often comes with free downloads.
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Freemind: open source mind mapping software. Been around a long time and works well. Good for planning complex tasks and/or developing ideas.

I'm delighted to find this forum - I've been a free software convert for a long time now.

Two updates on what has been said already:

Freemind - even if you're not into mind-mapping, this is a great tool to do your daily actions lists with a completely free format, and you can also set alerts on actions by date and time. I manage my complete day with it.

DIA - for those who use Open/Libre Office and would like a Visio alternative, this is pretty close.
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure