Vodafone budgeting?

Options
jaxdia
jaxdia Posts: 796 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited 27 April 2017 at 8:36AM in Mobiles
Hi all,

Hope you can offer some input on this, as I'm at my wits end. Basically, I have a Vodafone contract for myself, my mom and my dad.

Now, my dad manages his spending just fine on it, however my mom has developed some mental health issues in recent years, and is really struggling. She makes constant calls to my dad, and forgets to hang up (my dad hangs up, but sometimes it stays active on mom's phone?). I've already bought the simplest phone I could find for her but she even struggles with this.

She has 400 minutes a month on the contact I got her, but because of the constant phone calls, last month she went over this, and my bill came through a week ago for (roughly) £185, where it's normally £90 for all three. The breakdown indicates it was my mom's phone where all the expense comes from.

I can't seem to find anything on putting a spending cap on calls, but can find loads on putting one on data. That's not really a concern. My mom doesn't leave the house, and they have WiFi. Not that she knows how to use the internet anyway!

I can pay it (just about), but I really don't want this to happen again. Thing is, I can't take her phone off her because it's a comfort, and she gets very upset very easily now. Is there anything I can do bar upgrading her contract to an unlimited minutes one?
Wins of 2014: *zip*
ITV Winners Club Member #75

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't believe Vodafone offer caps on their contracts and suspect moving her to an unlimited tariff or removing her from the contract are your best options.

Remember caps can have an unfortunate side effect, if she were to reach that cap then have a genuine urgent need to call your father she would be prevented from doing so. perhaps not so bad in an adult, but something parents often overlook in children.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You need to consider putting your mother onto PAYG, there are many providers offering large numbers of minutes for reasonable spend, and once the credit is used up there is no opportunity for additional spend.

For example, giffgaff had 750 minutes for £12 or 1000 minutes for £15.
    ====
  • jaxdia
    Options
    Thanks for the input, both. I think pmduk gave me something to think about that I didn't consider with a hard cap. If she did need to contact him in an emergency, she wouldn't be able to.

Looks like unlimited is going to be the way forward. I will give Voda a ring and see what they can do for me with unlimited minutes and no (or minimal) data. To be honest, they've always been quite good to me despite their bad press, so I think they should be able to work something out tariff-wise for me.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    What happens if she missdials and calls a premium rate number or abroad? With her issues she is likely to get worse, not better. Maybe put a code lock on the phone so she can only answer calls, though that will leave her without access in an emergency.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    jaxdia wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, both. I think pmduk gave me something to think about that I didn't consider with a hard cap. If she did need to contact him in an emergency, she wouldn't be able to.

Looks like unlimited is going to be the way forward. I will give Voda a ring and see what they can do for me with unlimited minutes and no (or minimal) data. To be honest, they've always been quite good to me despite their bad press, so I think they should be able to work something out tariff-wise for me.
    If you can't get any joy with Vodafone (can't see why not to be honest as it's data that runs up the cost) then Sky for instance do a £10 unlimited minutes sim as long as you have Sky TV (otherwise it's £20). The downside of that is that they run on the O2 network and the odds are her phone is sim locked which would mean buying a new phone to go with it.

You could always use that price to negotiate with Vodafone and if you're not happy ask for her PAC. You don't have to use it but it should goad them into a better deal.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would upgrading the contract involve more money being spent ?

I don't know about Vodafone but Tesco can cap a contract.
  • jaxdia
    Options
    If you can't get any joy with Vodafone (can't see why not to be honest as it's data that runs up the cost) then Sky for instance do a £10 unlimited minutes sim as long as you have Sky TV (otherwise it's £20). The downside of that is that they run on the O2 network and the odds are her phone is sim locked which would mean buying a new phone to go with it.

You could always use that price to negotiate with Vodafone and if you're not happy ask for her PAC. You don't have to use it but it should goad them into a better deal.

See, they're on Sky, so that might be a good idea. Thankfully the mobile that we got from Vodafone for her isn't locked (I checked!), so that's definitely on the radar.
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Would upgrading the contract involve more money being spent ?

I don't know about Vodafone but Tesco can cap a contract.

It would involve more money being spent I think, yes, but if her overspending becomes a trend, it would save a lot in the long run.

I wouldn't worry about her misdialling a premium number, as I have it set up so she can use the speed dial only. It's either me or my dad she calls.

I think for the rest of her contract at the moment, I might go with unlimited. Then when it's done, end it, and get her on Sky with that £10 deal (if it's still on by then!). Sounds like the best solution.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 April 2017 at 1:47PM
    Options
    If your Mum has a smartphone maybe install a Call Timer/Limiter App

On Android there are several in the Playstore.

(I have no need to ever use them........... so can't vouch for the effectiveness of any of them)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hit.calllimit

• jaxdia
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    If your Mum has a smartphone maybe install a Call Timer/Limiter App

On Android there are several in the Playstore.

(I have no need to ever use them........... so can't vouch for the effectiveness of any of them)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hit.calllimit

Unfortunately it's not an Android, as I had the same thought at first. It has a custom OS :(
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How long to run on the Voda min term?
    Tesco Mobile SIM-only is the way to go here.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport