Northern Rock - poor English?

Options
I opened an account with Northern Rock a short while back and sent them a couple of emails using the account's email facility. The replies I got were written in poor English. This was the case even with the disclaimer at the bottom of the email, which warns about accessing your account in public places, e.g. internet cafe''s [sic]. That's got me a little worried. Is this everyone's experience too or did I stumble upon some a hacked version of their website?

Comments

• JayTee99_2
    Options
    the website is www.northernrock.co.uk is it?

i haven't really had any personal emails from NR, but this is the last official one, they also make these available online, so you can see the format

http://www.northernrock.co.uk/email/Tracker_Online_NB_16_Oct_2008.htm
  • moredrama
    Options
    Yes it is. I may just be paranoid but it doesn't help that their online account looks so much less professional than that of a lot of other banks.
  • JayTee99_2
    Options
    the login area?

can't say that had occurred to me,
    which page, summary, or statements?
  • JayTee99_2
    Options
    i'm not particularly keen on NR's main website colour scheme,
    but i've just logged into NR to take a peek and tbh the online area showing account details and the other pages, show statement etc are some of the cleanest of all the others i use.

when logged in, you are seeing a very pale blue and white background with dark blue trim/text and medium blue at top with maroon tab and logo?

i would do a screen cap but there's too much work to modify it..
  • Wolf_Man
    Options
    Sorry, in the present situation lots of us English savers are poor, and getting poorer by the interest rate cut... :)

Just opened an account today. The online application crashed near the end, but this must be quite common for NR as it saved the application and I only went back 4 steps.
  • BritRael
    BritRael Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Options
    Of course they are going to have bad English; it was probably written by an Indian at their helpdesk in Mumbai. er...or a Geordie! ;)
    Marching On Together

I've upped my standards...so up yours! :)
  • isofa
    isofa Posts: 6,091 Forumite
    Options
    Had a couple of emails from them when I switched accounts over recently, all perfect English, no grammar nor spelling errors.

Neither of my e-mails have a line at the bottom referring to "internet cafe''s".

I guess if they were personal e-mails to you from a NR staff member, they could be in poor English if that particular person has, errrm poor English skills!

I find their site to be very secure and clean, the login procedure asks for several key pieces of info.

Never access your on-line accounts using public Wi-Fi spots, it is incredibly easy to set-up a spoof wifi hotspot and gather all user data.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure