PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Comments

• larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just an update and another question! My kefir is coming along nicely - am drinking it daily mixed with yoghurt and fruit. The grains are now about a tablespoon - at what stage should I split it? I am currently making about 150 mls.

I did condition my hair with the whey this morning, but there did not seem to be much tonight, so having another milk shake type smoothie.

I think I am having the "feel good" effect, but am worried about the "fattening" effect of all this whole milk, so may switch to semi skim milk soon. Or is it too soon???

Also if you split the kefir and have a back up in the fridge, what do you store it in please and should it be covered? Would a small jar do the job?

More than one question - sorry :)
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    i tend to split my grains when they come apart easily.. i never force them apart but gentl pull with a spoon or something ... when i had enough to spare i put them in a small plastic tupperware with a tiny bit of milk and put froze them as a back up.... from what i have read they should be fine but intend to freeze some more next week and get the first lot out to make sure they are ok

u can leave them in some milk at the back of the fridge for a few weeks, i think someone has done this so perhaps they can help out

cant help u with the skimmed milk as i am low carber so fat is not a big issue

hope that helps
    xx
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • npsmama
    npsmama Posts: 1,277
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I admit I'm addicted to kefir! :eek:

At first I thought "YUCK!" but now I can't get enough of it! Tastes much nicer when made with organic whole milk IMHO...

Seriously, I have to exercise restraint or I would drink gallons!
    Yesterday I wanted a treat so I though I'd have vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate sauce but them my tastes buds said "We want kefir!!"...so I had both but strangely I didn't actually want the ice cream anymore (I ate it first).
    This morning I thought I'd have a coffee (usual saturday treat) but again I just preferred some kefir.

Strange but true.:confused:

Oh and Leonie, it's all your fault - you introduced it to me on another board! ;)
    "Finish each day And be done with it.
    You have done what you could.
    Some blunders and Absurdities have crept in.
    Forget them as soon as you can."
  • leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    npsmama wrote:

Oh and Leonie, it's all your fault - you introduced it to me on another board! ;)

Ooh which one? I've told of kefir goodies all over the place!
  • npsmama
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    handbag.com
  • larmy16
    larmy16 Posts: 4,324
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    npsmama wrote:
    I admit I'm addicted to kefir! :eek:

At first I thought "YUCK!" but now I can't get enough of it! Tastes much nicer when made with organic whole milk IMHO...

Seriously, I have to exercise restraint or I would drink gallons!
    Yesterday I wanted a treat so I though I'd have vanilla ice cream with hot chocolate sauce but them my tastes buds said "We want kefir!!"...so I had both but strangely I didn't actually want the ice cream anymore (I ate it first).
    This morning I thought I'd have a coffee (usual saturday treat) but again I just preferred some kefir.

Strange but true.:confused:

did you disguise it at first or went for the raw thing??? My batch has keffired really quickly so I will drain it and chill and try to taste it without any flavouring!
    Grocery Challenge £139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Wow, have just read this whole thread, it sounds amazing! Have just signed up for the yahoo forum so will be requesting some grains as soon as I'm approved!
  • npsmama
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've never flavoured it or mixed it with anything.
    But I always drink it chilled.
    I also threw away the first 4 batches or so after receiving the grains as I was told that was what I should do.
  • A little bump from me!! As I have joined the yahoo thingy and now know not what to do next!!! :p
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • Jazzy_B
    Jazzy_B Posts: 1,810 Forumite
    I've been making kefir for about a week and I love it.
    I've read through the thread, and I just wondered if anyone had any success using semi skimmed milk?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure