PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Kefir making as alternative to yoghurt making.

Comments

• shykins
    shykins Posts: 2,758 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    moved mine away from the window to a warmer part of the kitchen and they are happily doing lovely thick kefir which i eat every morning. my tummy is definitely benefitting!!

as i am a lowcarber i am doing half milk, half cream now (cream has less carbs) and my kefir is gorgeous!!!

caterina not long now and you will be back to your kefir eating!
    When you know better you do better

Atkins since 2004 - 8 stone loss maintaining
  • shykins
    caterina just to let you know your grains go on!!! now on their third person and still growing like mad as well as some i have put in freezer just in case

hope you are back to enjoying them yourself

• Fairenuff
    Fairenuff Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I appear to have killed my kefir ! I put it in milk in fridge for about 10 days,brought it out added some fresh milk and ....nothing has happened been on kitchen unit for 5 days and I just have off milk . I'm assuming I will have to buy more and start again !!! Should I have frozen it when not using it ?
  • shykins
    I would rinse it and change the milk every day for a few days and see if it bursts back into life. Maybe try it somewhere a bit warmer?

I am going to out mine in fridge when I got away for 2 weeks soon but have frozen some reserve just in case

• Fairenuff
    Fairenuff Posts: 54 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the reply ,think I will try it in airing cupboard maybe kitchen is a bit too cool fingers crossed !
  • shykins
    I had to move mine to a warmer part of th kitchen. Change the milk every day regardless of whether it's turning it into kefir or not.

Fingers crossed it will burst into life!!!

• Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First time Kifir'er :D

So I have my grains - they are sitting in a bit of semi skimmed milk settling after their postal journey. They seem very happy as they have chomped through the milk already and its rather thick looking. I will throw this batch out (as per the pamphlet that came with them) and port the grains over to some nice organic full fat milk

Hoping to have a small batch ready to do some scones on Sunday
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • shykins
    I always was told they wouldn't culture anything other than full fat milk. Mine are in part milk, part cream and produce lovely thick kefir which I eat every morning

Hope your scones turn out well

• Tygermoth
    Doing some research people have had success with a variety of milks - as long as the grains are given full fat on occasion to keep them at peak condition.

Thanks for the well wishes for the scones - i need it, i am not a baker by nature :D
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Tygermoth
    second round made - its still rather sharp.

Dog loves it!

so we will see how the scones go :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure