santas Challenge 2016... Gifts, chat, challenges

Options

Comments

• Anglea
    Anglea Posts: 7,204 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

I've decided to do an alternative to the penny challenge - 0.50p daily (backdated to 1st January), it's easier to remember and I could do more than one jar for different things if I fancy.

I'm always collecting £2 coins for my day trips out on the bus and have bags of spare change for craft club fees and other things which I expect I'll be digging into to make the consistent 0.50p.

Yes, the decorations can seem to take a really long time to put away. I've got the pleasure of that starting this evening after I finish watching Holby.

I didn't make the first session of the club today, think I overdid the excercises last night (trying to get back into my daily yoga after about a 4 year gap) so I had aches and pains and bad headache.

It's a weird time of year isn't it, straight after Christmas and NYE. What are you all doing this week?
  • lushlifesaver
    lushlifesaver Posts: 2,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is my 2016 challenge!

Can I join you all? I lurked through 2015 but we are saving for a wedding now(!) and want to make sure we are on top of everything else as far in advance as possible!

mum2one I have stolen your spreadsheet set up; I have a tab for birthdays, one for Christmas, one for others (anniversaries/easter/mothers day etc) not sure what I will put on the front tab yet though.

I am also doing the penny challenge - started at 1st January but I am also tossing in other change as I get it. I do herbalife so I am using an empty shake tub. Hopefully little one will go to sleep easily tonight after a full day at nursery for the first time since before Christmas and then I will get the craft stuff out and wrap/decorate the tub and seal it shut (!) as I am rather naughty and have had a tendency to dip in to pots and I'm determined not to this time! I am going to open it six months in to the challenge and exchange the change either for notes or for gift cards for various stores that we use regularly at Christmas ...if I remember to!
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • mum2one
    mum2one Posts: 16,279 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Can I join you all? I lurked through 2015 but we are saving for a wedding now(!) and want to make sure we are on top of everything else as far in advance as possible!

congratulations on the wedding xx

mum2one I have stolen your spreadsheet set up; I have a tab for birthdays, one for Christmas, one for others (anniversaries/easter/mothers day etc) not sure what I will put on the front tab yet though.

I tend to use the front sheet as a bit of everything, tend to have column of bdays (names and dates) then another for xmas, with columns to put a y/n - more of an overview of the yr, I have little sections for voucher totals / money etc

I am also doing the penny challenge - started at 1st January but I am also tossing in other change as I get it. I do herbalife so I am using an empty shake tub. Hopefully little one will go to sleep easily tonight after a full day at nursery for the first time since before Christmas and then I will get the craft stuff out and wrap/decorate the tub and seal it shut (!) as I am rather naughty and have had a tendency to dip in to pots and I'm determined not to this time! I am going to open it six months in to the challenge and exchange the change either for notes or for gift cards for various stores that we use regularly at Christmas ...if I remember to!

thats a good idea decorating pot, going to cheat and get a couple for £1 shop.

Miss Hoodie has now decided where she wants to go for her 18th... (shes only just turned 13), she wants to go back to Lapland.... the yr after be my 50th... so thats a trip to Las Vegas... (she'll come with me), so for now I'll be putting £2 coins and any lottery winnings (only got £8 in 2015).

At the mo the loose change is going on DD's hol spends tin, next adventure is Gambia, start again.

x
    xx rip dad... we had our ups and downs but we’re always be family xx
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I know its usually around 24th, but I thought I would pop a mini Santas Challenge just to keep us on our toes...

Smoke alarms
    If you can't remember when you last changed your battery (is recommended that you do them yearly), make this the time to change them, also - test the battery, give the alarm a quick clean, - quick blast with the hoover all done...

Back up documents
    Whether your posh and organised (not me), back up the documents from computers etc - onto external hard drive, (or me) put onto a memory stick.

Phone - if your anything like me and Miss Hoodie - everything goes on the phone - have you got the numbers (email addresses) etc backed up, whether its an address book, note book, or a computer document.

Exisiting storage - (I may be guessing - so apologies if can't be done), if you do have files etc stored on harddrive / memory stick, - check do you really need all those documents

Wedding certs / ins documents etc - I know this has been previously been part of a challenge - important documents - if you can scan them and store the hard copy on a seperate memory stick, - that way if you mislay anything - you at least have a copy to tide you over.

Passwords / pin numbers
    I'm sure we're all quilty of using 1 password for a dozen sites....but have a look at reviewing your passwords - and pin numbers - give them a refresh...

Mother hen moment over xxx
  • rylee12
    rylee12 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Lurked around a little last year but would love to join properly this year. After the fiasco that was last Christmas (disorganised, lost presents I'd bought, house a tip) I need all the help I can get.

Hope I'm not being too presumptuous if I make a start wit mini santa challenge :D

Smoke alarms
    Fortunately ours are hooked up to the main electrics following some renovation works so just need a quick hoover which I will do at the weekend

Back up documents
    We don't store anything on our laptop, all documents are stored on an external hard drive or on dropbox.

Phone
    I got a new phone last year and thought I had all my numbers etc backed up (I didn't :( ) so once I got back all the ones I needed I made sure I backed them all up to my google account

Existing storage
    I'm in the process KonMari'ing the entire house and will be reviewing these once I reach that category

Wedding certs / ins documents etc
    Great idea, I will add this to my task for January. Funnily enough my eldest daughter keeps asking for copies of her birth certificates, passport etc for her uni applications so I can just let her have copies of the files and she can print them at college (thus saving me ink :D)

Passwords / pin numbers
    I'm terrible for using the same password for almost all my online accounts (financial ones excluded) so may make a few changes as and when I log in
    £10 a day challenge 2015: £772.72 * January 2016 £116.15/£310 * November 2016 £257.18/£300
    SPC 2016 #537 * NST #43 * W2S #6 * 2016: £1000 #33
    £1000 Emergency fund #153 £500/£1000 * 3-6 month EF #25 £0/£6000
    Completely Crazy Clothes Challenge - £0.00/£600.00 * Grocery Challenge: January £0/£300
  • lushlifesaver
    Options
    mum2one wrote: »
    I know its usually around 24th, but I thought I would pop a mini Santas Challenge just to keep us on our toes...

Smoke alarms
    If you can't remember when you last changed your battery (is recommended that you do them yearly), make this the time to change them, also - test the battery, give the alarm a quick clean, - quick blast with the hoover all done...

Back up documents
    Whether your posh and organised (not me), back up the documents from computers etc - onto external hard drive, (or me) put onto a memory stick.

Phone - if your anything like me and Miss Hoodie - everything goes on the phone - have you got the numbers (email addresses) etc backed up, whether its an address book, note book, or a computer document.

Exisiting storage - (I may be guessing - so apologies if can't be done), if you do have files etc stored on harddrive / memory stick, - check do you really need all those documents

Wedding certs / ins documents etc - I know this has been previously been part of a challenge - important documents - if you can scan them and store the hard copy on a seperate memory stick, - that way if you mislay anything - you at least have a copy to tide you over.

Passwords / pin numbers
    I'm sure we're all quilty of using 1 password for a dozen sites....but have a look at reviewing your passwords - and pin numbers - give them a refresh...

Mother hen moment over xxx

Smoke alarms - since we moved in to our new build they are on the mains...they went off at the weekend whilst I was cooking bacon though so I know they work ;)

Phone - need to back up my pics etc again; I have an iphone at the moment and hate it so put it off but I must do my pictures as I'd be devastated if I lost the ones of our littlie. I will do that this weekend

Laptop - I have a cloud book so very limited storage anyway but it is getting a little full so I'll need to have a look at that this weekend too :)

Hardcopy documents - silly me had never even thought to scan these in! I'll have to make a list then hunt them out one at a time and scan in to save on our MY Cloud external hub.

passwords - mine change fairly regularly but there's potentially a few to look at. Again I'd have to make a list...
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    edited 6 January 2016 at 4:53PM
    Options
    Hello, hello.

Told myself that once we got past the shortest day the worst was over! Ever since then the days have been relatively dull and getting dark before 4pm- I hate it! As I write this I have just noticed there is a teeny bit of blue sky- wow!! Oh and a mozzie thing sitting on the window (outside!) just waiting to munch me. So a longer daylight day today.
    Luckily we haven't had any flooding.
    Just before Christmas I heard that Shyla hound's previous owner in Kendal got flooded (the reservoir overflowed so they got little warning) and the kennels were swept away- luckily they had taken the dogs out.

I heard that my £1 challenge present was voted the best by the recipient! my friend was miffed that mine was the best!! but she is still speaking to me.The adults have decided they will all try £1 challenge next year- but not for the children.

Today I went into the village post office to discover all the duvets there have sold! That's probably 6 (I can't remember- early December seems a lifetime ago!) Luckily I had taken 2 with me, but there is only one more made so yet again, no guesses for what I shall be doing shortly. Dogs for Good had over £400 from me in 2015 from the bedding sales.

The shopping bags were very gratefully received and I know some have been pressed into service. I am just thinking I may make a few for the charity& sell them for the same price as the duvets. Yes, talking myself into yet more sewing!!

Other than that I have been swimming (3 times whilst away) and x 2 this week. Plus I have been to pilates x2. I've even signed up to a 4th pilates class this week! See ,that's one good thing that comes from being a skinflint: (70% in the quiz last week!!) - I want my money's worth. If I swim the next 2 days plus the classes it would have cost £31 if I had had to pay at the desk rather than paying the year up front. I think that's what I will do: tot up the week's spend and deduct from the total outlay- that will be really encouraging, and see how much exercise I can get for free as the year progresses!!
    Yesterday the instructor let me try using a gym ball instead of the chair and I went to Aldi and bought one for £4.99! The ones shown in Prima from John Lewis are £19.99! heaven knows where I am going to keep it once it is inflated

Finally have replaced the bulb in the fridge- it throws a whole new light on things especially on some black mould that was lurking on the top shelf way above my reach.

I am maybe about to change power suppliers- tariff ends mid Feb. I noticed the power company had bumped up my projected consumption of elecricity by 50%! Last night when I phoned them and was asked to take a reading ... x 2..,. turns out the meter reader made it higher than that end of November!

So engrossed in this I have just burnt the saucepan of potatoes- it's black!! Now to google cleaning a burnt enamel pan!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Sprinkle burnt pan with bicarb cover with water and simmer for 10 mins then leave overnight. Repeat if necessary until pan is clean.
    My photos on my phone and kindle save to our Amazon cloud, which can be downloaded to the pc, extra storage etc.
    The smoke alarms in the hall and landing get tested most weeks whenever I boil veggies, they must be very sensitive!
    Keep meaning to sort out saved docs, sure some are duplicated and not needed any longer.
    Good idea re scanning important documents, will do next week. Thanks for the ideas.
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Options
    MrsCD wrote: »
    Sprinkle burnt pan with bicarb cover with water and simmer for 10 mins then leave overnight. Repeat if necessary until pan is clean.
    Thanks- I googled our friend and he/she came up with boiling a small amount of bio liquid wash- which pretty much did the trick. There's no bicarb in the house but I did wonder if washing soda would have worked. Anyhow it is done- rather greyish (was white!) enamel but since the pan is 40+ years old it probably doesn't owe me anything!!!
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • mum2one
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    It was the Boots 70% sale today, so at 830, I had grandad Hoodie stood at the end of an aisle with the shopping bag.... have to say my local store wasn't as good as it has been last couple of yrs.... Mens stuff was literally 2 a penny, Ladies stuff - there wasn't too much choice,
    But.... I snagged 2 soap and glory sets at £18 - ones mine, 2nd put up for friends xmas.

I did spend £140.... (but... was £155 - then had 10% off, had vouchers £75 (pd £60... but nanny hoodie brought some items owes me £31 ... works out £29 spend.

Sorted out this and other bits got Tesco, Superdrug.... and I only need 2 bday presents, and 3 xmas, - Covered Mothers day and fathers day... One happy Bunny.

had a family meal out - was Nanny and Grandad Hoodie's 53rd wedding anniversary.. (I baked a cake) xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport