Avoid currys/pc world!!!

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I suppose though that free installation offers another bit of security in that they can't then claim you failed to remove the transport bolts or similar and they take it away there and then if it happens to be faulty.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    bod1467 wrote: »
    Any competent (even incompetent) person can install a washing machine (if there has been one there previously). I mean - even I can do it. :D

When I had a new washing machine last year it wasn't the hooking up of the machine that was the difficult part, it was maneuvering it to get the slab of polystyrene packaging from underneath and then undoing the bolts that hold the drum in place for transporting.

Luckily I ordered my Hotpoint from Argos and it was delivered by Hotpoint, installed by them and most importantly for me the old one was taken away.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Undoubtedly well-intentioned, but there is already an official company rep account here. You could be anyone. ;)
  • On Friday 22nd Feb my wife and I bought a steam iron from Curry's in Blackpoolfor £39.99. I also purchased their 3 year guarantee for £10 extra.On Saturday we unpacked the Panasonic steam iron as my wife wanted to catch up with the stack of un-ironed clothes.when she erected the ironing board she realised the new iron wouldn't fit in the steel holder specially for the purpose as the end plate was too big.This would mean that the board would considerably smaller as you would have to stand the iron up each time you stopped ironing.This wasn't satisfactory so today we returned it to the store for an exchange.
    At customer service we were informed the policy of the store was once the item had left the store and been opened they couldn't change it.I said it was a crazy policy as this iron wasn't fit for purpose as it wouldn't safely stand on the end of the iron board.Anyway after a lot of arguing the manager agreed to change it for a more suitable product.I also pointed out that the box, and the product was as new and the seal was intact and to a lay person you couldn't tell it had been opened.
    When we went to the display of irons a lady suggested a cheaper product that had shown her good service that also had a 3 year guarantee.We then took this product to the customer service counter where we were told that the new choice of iron was £15 cheaper but they would only exchange it and not refund the difference.They added that because the additional guarantee was for a product for £39.99 if there was a problem they would replace the item for any iron up to £39.99.I said that was crazy and then was forced by common sense to choose an iron of the same price.What a crazy way to do business and I will not do business with them again.
    I have been in retail all my life and in my opinion the following is the way I should have been treated in order to have a customer that would come back to me and recommended me to others.
    First - inspect the goods including the box and test for faults and if said goods were fit for resale happily exchange them for any other product.
    Unlike a lot of retailers I wouldn't refund but I would exchange like for like as it doesn't make any difference to a retailer - a sale is a sale.These big stores don't have a monopoly but they do try and bully you in to there so called "Store policy"
    Incidentally they have a sign at customer services that they will happily refund or exchange goods provided they haven't been opened for a period of 21 days.I ask what use is that to anyone if you can't open the box?
  • DaveTheMus
    DaveTheMus Posts: 2,669 Forumite
    alvera wrote: »
    On Friday 22nd Feb my wife and I bought a steam iron from Curry's in Blackpoolfor £39.99. I also purchased their 3 year guarantee for £10 extra.On Saturday we unpacked the Panasonic steam iron as my wife wanted to catch up with the stack of un-ironed clothes.when she erected the ironing board she realised the new iron wouldn't fit in the steel holder specially for the purpose as the end plate was too big.This would mean that the board would considerably smaller as you would have to stand the iron up each time you stopped ironing.This wasn't satisfactory so today we returned it to the store for an exchange.
    At customer service we were informed the policy of the store was once the item had left the store and been opened they couldn't change it.I said it was a crazy policy as this iron wasn't fit for purpose as it wouldn't safely stand on the end of the iron board.Anyway after a lot of arguing the manager agreed to change it for a more suitable product.I also pointed out that the box, and the product was as new and the seal was intact and to a lay person you couldn't tell it had been opened.
    When we went to the display of irons a lady suggested a cheaper product that had shown her good service that also had a 3 year guarantee.We then took this product to the customer service counter where we were told that the new choice of iron was £15 cheaper but they would only exchange it and not refund the difference.They added that because the additional guarantee was for a product for £39.99 if there was a problem they would replace the item for any iron up to £39.99.I said that was crazy and then was forced by common sense to choose an iron of the same price.What a crazy way to do business and I will not do business with them again.
    I have been in retail all my life and in my opinion the following is the way I should have been treated in order to have a customer that would come back to me and recommended me to others.
    First - inspect the goods including the box and test for faults and if said goods were fit for resale happily exchange them for any other product.
    Unlike a lot of retailers I wouldn't refund but I would exchange like for like as it doesn't make any difference to a retailer - a sale is a sale.These big stores don't have a monopoly but they do try and bully you in to there so called "Store policy"
    Incidentally they have a sign at customer services that they will happily refund or exchange goods provided they haven't been opened for a period of 21 days.I ask what use is that to anyone if you can't open the box?

You purchased a 3 year guarantee on £40 iron for £10?

Why?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    alvera wrote: »
    I said it was a crazy policy as this iron wasn't fit for purpose as it wouldn't safely stand on the end of the iron board.

How was it not fit for purpose did it not work as an iron?

The fact that it would not fit on your board is hardly the shops fault. You are lucky they agreed to give you an exchange as at was not faulty and there was nothing wrong with the product.
  • zoob
    zoob Posts: 572 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Mate of mine has a car dealership, a customer tried to return a car that he had bought because it was bigger than he expected, the customer had measured the garage door but couldn't open the the car door to get out when it was in the garage.

My mate had a "NO EXCHANGE FOR A CRAZY POLICY" and was unable to help the customer.
  • Would never shop in currys or PC works ever!!!! There are better and more competitive company's out there with better customer service and who price match .I had one bitter experience with them over 15 years ago and I have never ever bought from them or stepped foot in there since.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    BTW, the 3 year extended warranty is really 2 years.
  • philatio
    philatio Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You had me at "I also purchased their 3 year guarantee for £10 extra"

One born every minute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts