Credit cards for students?

Options
Just wondered whether students can apply for credit cards as I don't have a stable job earning x amount of money each month!

Comments

• Margaret_Millne
    Options
    I thought students could get a credit card from the bank they have their student current account with. My daughter is with HSBC and she got a credit card with the student account.
  • Chillout
    Options
    Yeh that's right but the card is so rubbish as I have one myself! Wondered whether i can apply for other ones with better deals basically.
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    Options
    There's always the Student Barclaycard with £20 cash incentive. Other than the £20, it's not much good but might help in arranging your finances. Be very wary, though; as a student you're likely to have limited resources and using a credit card incautiously could cost you dear.

If you can't trust yourself to behave, you'd probably be better off without one.
  • Margaret_Millne
    Options
    Yeh that's right but the card is so rubbish as I have one myself! Wondered whether i can apply for other ones with better deals basically.

I'm not sure she would agree with you.  She has a £1500 limit, and has just had a letter offering her 1.9% for six months on balance transfers.

Her anniversary Egg 0% deal comes to an end at the end of this month, so this will very nicely pay it off for her.  If she still owes anything at the end of the six months then it will be nearly time for her next Egg anniversary offer.
  • student100
    student100 Posts: 1,059 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I got an Accucard - which has the nice feature of 0.8% cashback - because they count student loan and money from your parents as part of the minimum £5500 income you need to have an account with them.

You're not likely to get 0% deals but then you'll get a big interest-free overdraft with your student account anyway,
    student100 hasn't been a student since 2007...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure