PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• amandaatnumber7
    Options
    Can you please put me down for $1000 as there is 5 weeks this month - Thanks :)
    Ive not done a grocery challenge for some time, but lately there has been a few top up shops each week so I think this is the best way to get back on track
    I shop for 3 adults, 2 children & a dog and it includes toiletries and cleaning products
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • Pink_Giraffe
    Options
    Hi, I used to do this a few years ago and really cut our spending down, but I've been lax and it's crept back up, I think around £300-350 a month for 2 adults, which seems excessive! So I'm aiming this month for £250.
    My months run 25th-24th, I'm pretty happy with meal planning when I get into it, but we're stuck in a bit of a rut. I'm trying to lose weight so healthy meals preferred and we're trying to cut down on meat, however OH won't eat cooked veg (but has a side salad with dinner every night), pulses or beans. Any advice with this is welcome!
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Budgets list updated to here :)
    lynnejk - take care xx
    Good luck all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn 12/24
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys .. Havent been on here for a good while but im back on it .. yay! im determined to get back to my money saving ways ..

Can I join again with £300 for the month

Thanks
    Lisa x
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Continuing £4,000 for the year; which works out at £333 a month. This includes bulk buys/subscribe and save deliveries; which thankfully i haven't needed that many of in April. Shouldn't need any or many this month either ... i hope :rotfl:.

Good luck everyone and thanks to the special ladies running the thread. Hope you start to feel better soon lynnejk.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Thank you for updating with my total (£140) Coxy. I started the May challenge early, on April 20th as I wanted to get going with this.
    It's now the 25th, Day 5, and my £140 is still intact. The first spend will possibly be Thursday, definitely Friday. I held back from an online Am@zon grocery purchase of decaff coffee capsules as I didn't want to break in to the £140.
    I have Am@zon Prime so will be able to get the capsules delivered quickly when they really are needed. I still have some in store. No supermarkets locally sell decaff Nespresso compatible capsules so I have to buy them online.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Pink_Giraffe
    Options
    Ooh I checked our bank statement last night and we've been worse than I thought, £430 for March :( Definitely need to focus this month to cut that down!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've been struggling so am setting a high budget for two adults and a dog. £360 for ALL groceries, toiletries, cleaning products, window cleaner and general household expenses.
    This will be a four week month for me so that's £80 a week. If I finally manage to stay within budget this month I'll aim for less next month :)
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,560 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 April 2017 at 11:21PM
    Options
    lynnejk thinking of you and hope you are recovering well.

I'm in from 26th Apr - 25th May £150 please.

I have some meals batch cooked so I'm going to try and keep my first week spends to a minimum and not splurge like usual.

I go over every month at the moment, but April was horrendous so wake up call needed!

This month I have my MOT (fingers crossed as my car is on £103k miles now and sounding it!)
    and also VEGFEST BRISTOL on 20th and 21st, which is my favourite weekend of the year! So I need to keep as much money back for that as I can as it's right at the end of the month for me financially!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Count me in again this month please! I'm going to try £230 this month as though there are lots of birthdays I'm feeling confident I can make a few more savings. Thanks again for organising this thread.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure