Packaged bank account fees

Trying to work if i have a claim for miselling. Fairly prepared for the honest comments.

Ive spoken to halifax to move to a non fee paying account.

Situation is, opened joint account in 2011 when applying for a mortgage, was told we need to bank with halifax and had ultimate reward account opened. Was told of all the terms and conditions, the benefits and costs etc. Initially started off ok with the fee offset a bit with a reward. No longer receive the reward part. Ive used the phone insurance aspect twice as the excess was £10 cheaper than using my phone provider.

Any chance for a successful claim or have i just jumped on the 'told to open it with mortgage' bit and got carried away?

Thanks for any thoughts

BTW im aware of my complacency in this.

Comments

• MyOnlyPost
    MyOnlyPost Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    I can understand them wanting you to have a current account to pay the mortgage from, but did they offer you a choice of accounts or was it this one or nothing (therefore no mortgage)?
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    MyOnlyPost wrote: »
    I can understand them wanting you to have a current account to pay the mortgage from, but did they offer you a choice of accounts or was it this one or nothing (therefore no mortgage)?

They said we needed an halifax current account (of which we both had individual ones) to get the mortgage, no range of accounts was offered just the ultimate reward account.
  • MyOnlyPost
    MyOnlyPost Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    So you each already had sole accounts with Halifax and they said that to offer you a mortgage you needed to have a joint ultimate reward?

If that is correct, then unless the mortgage you have is at a preferential rate and only available to ultimate reward customers then I think it is certainly worth starting a complaint.
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    MyOnlyPost wrote: »
    So you each already had sole accounts with Halifax and they said that to offer you a mortgage you needed to have a joint ultimate reward?

If that is correct, then unless the mortgage you have is at a preferential rate and only available to ultimate reward customers then I think it is certainly worth starting a complaint.

Impossible for me to remember exact wording cant remember what i was doing yesterday. But yes, both have sole accounts and told we need the ultimate reward account to make payments for the mortgage.

Ill send the letter off and see what comes of it... :money:

Thanks for your help.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 13 March 2017 at 6:14PM
    Insurance discount for having an URCA back then. And mortgage rate discount on occasions.

One fee for joint benefits.

Phone insurance that you've benefited from.

Been on holiday since then?

You own a home so the emergency call out cover can be used.

Do you drive?

£5 reward that you could have qualified for.

As you knew the details at the time of applying and have claimed on one of the insurances why do you think you've been missold?

I hate chancers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport