PC Problems? - links to free online virus scanners

Comments

• espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Totts wrote: »
    Hi all.

I have reformatted my Packard Bell laptop and as a security measure d/l the most upto date versions of Zone Alarm and AVG free that I have been using for years. I have cc cleaner installed so that I am successful in getting tracking to sites like TCB & Quidco as I had been having problems with items not tracked when first signing up. When I do use TCB & Quidco I disable Zone Alarm & AVG free & use CCleaner in between..............

It is not necessary to disable Zone Alarm and AVG when using TCB or Qiudco.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Totts
    Totts Posts: 121 Forumite
    Aaaahhh - now I really am confused! I remember reading recommendations either on one or the other of the sites or a forum thing that one or the other or both it may block tracking, and when I tried to buy something on ebay today using AVG 9 and I thought that it had blocked all the TCB cookies linking me to ebay and the ebay cookies which would have led to purchase. However, the reason I think it did was when I went through CCleaner it showed these links and cookies up, BUT thinking logically that would have been confirmation of tracking and NOT the other way round as I had assumed wouldn't it? So that would follow with what you were saying (I think)?! LOL

Appreciate your swift response by the way :) Thank you.

So I am a bit stumped?
  • espresso
    There is a test that you can perform somewhere on the TCB site to check your set up works. If you want to revert back to version 8.5 you can download it here.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Totts
    Hi - yes I did do the check on TCB but it astill didn't track an order for over £550 on Argos and they are still looking into it after weeks and weeks. I wasn't using CCleaner then though.

I must admit it would help if I could leave AVG & ZA running as I pay by Paypal and wasn't comfortable with exposing my details without them running.

I will re-install 9 as it semed to pick up loads more than 8.5 and use the purchase as a test and let you know if it tracks. I am very grateful for your help and your time too, very kind of you.:D
  • espresso
    I will re-install 9 as it semed to pick up loads more than 8.5 and use the purchase as a test and let you know if it tracks. I am very grateful for your help and your time too, very kind of you.:D

I doubt if V9 would pick up any more than V8.5 as it's the scanning engine that has been improved, the virus definitions will be the same. V9 will obviously have various bugs that early users will find and these need to be sorted out over the next few months.
  • Totts
    edited 20 October 2009 at 5:17PM
    I have performed the check on TCB & still had failed tracking, however this was before CCleaner had been recommended to me so I think it was previously logged cookies etc.

I am re-installing AVG 9 - I am assuming I don't need ad-aware or spyblaster on top of what I have already got? Also can I confirm that once I have d/l AVG 9 free and Zone Alarm free to my d/l folder & have installed it to my h/d can I delete ithe d/l files & then empty recycle bin? I know after 11 yrs on the net I should know this, but I've only ever done enough to get me by as I have been raising a large family!

Talking of cheeky, I went tback to ebay to buy what I had confirmed stock of with the seller (I needed 3 different items of the same product) and in between the seller advising me of availability they had increased the price of each item by MORE THAN DOUBLE! There was less than an hour left to go on the auction and no alternative items from different sellers!! I was flabberghasted! So as yet I have not been able to test out my new set up on the reformated laptop, but am very disgruntled at a cynical attempt to be stitched up by this ebayer! :rolleyes:
  • JJ7
    JJ7 Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Firstly this is a thread specifically for links to on-line virus scanners, so you should start your own thread for other issues.

Regarding your problem, update your AVG and this problem should be sorted. e.g. open the User Interface and click the button "Update now

Thanks espresso. All up and running now. Sorry about being in the wrong thread but not being techie at all I thought I was in the right place.

Thanks again, much appreciated.
  • JDPower
    JDPower Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2009 at 7:01PM
    I have performed the check on TCB & still had failed tracking, however this was before CCleaner had been recommended to me so I think it was previously logged cookies etc.
    Don't run ccleaner during a transaction (or at all during that particular browsing session to be certain) as it will clear the cookies the cashback sites rely on to track the transaction. You can run it once the transaction is complete and you've left the site if you want.

Have you tried using a different browser to rule out a browser specific cookie issue? (incidentally what browser are you using???)
    I am re-installing AVG 9 - I am assuming I don't need ad-aware or spyblaster on top of what I have already got? Also can I confirm that once I have d/l AVG 9 free and Zone Alarm free to my d/l folder & have installed it to my h/d can I delete ithe d/l files & then empty recycle bin?
    Personally I would suggest keeping Spyware Blaster as its an added layer of protection that uses zero resources. And yes you can delete the old installers ;)

(PS You should have started a separate thread for your problem as it's unrelated to this one and would probably have got more help but hey-ho were here now lol)
  • Just wanted to say thanks for this thread - I've found it really useful and it's helped me a lot.
  • trisha
    trisha Posts: 488 Forumite
    When I upgraded to AVG 9 it slowed my internet down terribly,in fact I couldn't get into a lot of web sites so I removed it in add remove programmes and deleted any traces of it.

Then I installed the free Avast which I think is absolutely great, it updates regularly as soon as an update is available, a screen pops up and an American voice tells me the virus database has been updated,so I don't have to worry about getting updates, there is an option to scan different things if I need to do a scan. I would never go back to AVG now.It detected a Trojan a week ago and advised me what to do with it, so I know it is doing it's job, in fact you can see the icon in the toolbar moving round as it is checking.

Trisha
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport