It's not a lot, but it's enough

Options

Comments

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    LauraB89 wrote: »
    Hi Speky - you're doing so well, super organised :)

With the ex thing - I don't know if this helps to hear, but I was in the position of your ex a few years ago. I had been with a guy, thought we were happy and it was serious and he broke it off without really explaining why. Although it took me a while to get over and I was a bit of a mess for a little while, I am so much happier now and I am glad that he had the balls to end it. I know now that what I have with my current partner is right because I feel so much more connected to him than I ever was to my ex. In the long run, she will thank you I am sure.

Good luck with everything :)

LB

Hey :wave:

I've been trying to tell her that but it's hard just now. Time being a great healer and all that.

I had a nice weekend. I kept myself busy however I didn't go unscathed and spend on both days.

On Friday I actually didn't have the time to stop off and buy flowers for my gran before I went and seen her, I'll sort them out another time. We enjoyed a lovely meal just the two of us, catching up and having a laugh. Her timer broke while I was over so we had to guess how long the sticky toffee pudding had been in for as the time was just flying by.

Saturday I went to the gym followed by a trip to the SM to sort my food shopping for the week ahead. While I was in I bought my gran a new timer, £2.50, which I gave to her last night and she seemed really appreciative. Told me that would count as her Xmas present :rotfl: I had a relaxing night in which I made a wholemeal loaf and while it was proofing my mum and step-dad took me for a nice Chinese in Glasgow in which we had an in-depth chat about a mortgage.

We discussed what the right sort of property is for me. They suggested an ex-council house whereas I had my mind set on a flat. They advised I was best stretching my budget as far as possible in order to get a larger mortgage but the problem is saving the deposit required. I told them my target was summer of next year and my budget for a property would be £100k with a 5% deposit. My maths says I'll have that in 8 months time so it should work out.

Sunday I went to a yoga class to get my mind and my body ready for the week ahead and then met up with my friends for a bit of lunch and to watch the football. 2 courses for £10 - bargain. I soon came home for a Sunday roast and relaxed in front of the TV. Lovely jubbly.

So I'm ready for the week ahead. I'll aim to be super productive both in and out of work and I'll update on here when possible.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning all,

Not much to report. Had a busy week at work and that shows no signs of calming down. I don't mind it at all actually, the days go in quicker and I get lots done.

Managed lots of NSD's which I feel really good about. I'm doing a big shop at the weekend and that tides me over during the week. Also, deliberately only spending on the weekend means I get to think about my spends, "do I really need x, y, or z".

I have a charity quiz night tomorrow night, so I'll no doubt have to dip into my pocket then. I'll take the car to save spends on drinking plus I like 20 miles from the venue so it's just complicated in organising getting home and then getting to work the next day etc.

Payday tomorrow. The best thing about payday for me is being able to play with my money on YNAB. I find real joy in organising my finances and confirming where my priorities lie and having trust in it.

Anyway, time to get back to it. Back tomorrow.
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,219 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You sound really fired up and positive, that's great.

Was in Glasgow briefly at the weekend, and thought to myself that I could have passed you and never known about it - I'm sure that's true of many of us on MSE.

As well as saving for your deposit, do have a think about all the other costs that you'll encounter. Buying a house is expensive and there are several one-off costs associated with it that you need to find the money for including solicitor's fees, searches, surveys and later on there could easily be basic white goods and things that you will need when you first move in. Often you will be paying out for things on your new property before any outstanding monies are returned from your current place eg. gas/electricity I'm sure there will be several threads advising the costs to you on MSE but its best to get a good idea now even if it puts your saving up by a few months. So much simpler to have the money ready.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£345.00 (69%)    INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£070.00 (15%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Hi Joey,

Strange indeed. I often wonder that myself actually.

Yes those sort of costs are in my head too. One of my best friends bought a house recently and he said his solicitor fee's were just shy of £1,000 so it's certainly something else to think about it. For my Christmas, I asked for Ikea vouchers for such things as that.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Payday has arrived!

Phoned First Direct and instantly transferred £300 into my FD Saver. I have my standing order which will take £200 into my HTB on the last working day of this month too.

Played about with YNAB and I should get through December ok providing there are no unexpected costs. Also wrote a list on my Xmas presents and what is still needed and I've more to get than I thought but should still come under budget. I've 2 nights out planned, one with work and one with friends and that is where I might trip up so need to box clever.

My best friend who I car share with earns the same as me however he has 3 kids under the age of 3. Each morning he tells me how little sleep he has had as he's up feeding them. He's now got a 2nd job at the weekend just so they have some disposable income otherwise they'd break even every month. We discussed finances and if he can get by on the same wage as I can, then I can defo save a bit more!

Tomorrow is going to be a super busy one so I don't know if I'll be able to check in. Plans for tomorrow/the weekend;

- Online Xmas Shopping
    - Wrote a list of what I need to get and using the MSE deals page, noted where to get them.
    - Clean my car (inside mainly)
    - Dentist (2 x fillings)
    - Gym and yoga
    - Carphone Warehouse (contract is up)
    - Big shop for the week ahead
    - Plan meals and write list beforehand
    - Bake
    - Thinking something savoury. Still feel inspired from GBBO.
    - Clean
    - Need a deep clean in the house. Floors especially.

Hoping to keep costs down this weekend so nothing extravagant noted and it's terribly boring.

Have a nice Thursday :)
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    You're so well organised Speky - I am a bit jealous. I cannot be that person no matter how much I try... Have a good weekend, and don't work too hard.
  • SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Morning,

What a weekend. Didn’t stop.

Saturday; I had the dentist in the morning for 2 fillings. My existing filings had cracked so needed them out and new ones in. Right side of my face numb for the day to the tune of £37. From there I went to the gym for a while however I found I was tasting blood, because I was biting my tongue/cheek without knowing it!!! So I quickly gave up on that. I went to the SM and sorted some food for that night and also popped into Carphone Warehouse as my phone contract was up. Short story is I collect a new phone today at £3 more a month after haggling down from an addition £18 with an upfront cost – happy days. I spent my Saturday night watching the football while mopping the floors (wild, I know).

I then decided to buy some Xmas presents on line and realised I left my bank card in the machine at Tesco!!! Decided not to risk it and phoned First Direct and cancelled so I’m due a new one this week. So frustrating.

Sunday; I had yoga in the morning which I followed up with a trip to Aldi to get my ingredients for my spicy chicken soup which will be my lunches. Came home to finish some tidying up in the house and clean the inside and outside of my car. Productive. The evening was spent with the family over a homemade oriental cuisine which was very night.

And then….

I met with the ex.

She had her smear test on Friday and so I made sure I asked how it went because I could only imagine how she’d be feeling. We were chatting away like old friends and we agreed to meet up and go to the Christmas Markets in Edinburgh. It was great. No awkwardness at all and there was no relationship talk which would have put a dampener on it. An enjoyable evening but it hasn’t changed my mind and I stand by my decision. I was conscious not give her any false hope or anything.

Best start work. Speak soon.
  • joeyjimbles
    Options
    Good stuff - you sound so together. And I'm so glad that you're doing lots of things so you don't get bored. Your savings target looks well on the way too - love the 5% savings account at FD. I've used it the last couple of years to save for Christmas - I know it pays out at the wrong time of year but it doesn't matter as I just then stuff it in another account until I need it - it works out in the end.

• SpekySquarehead
    Options
    Yeah that's exactly what I'm doing Joey and it feels good to be organised in most aspects of life.

Their saving account is great, ticks all the boxes for me and I'm happy to put any extra bits of money into there to let build up. Must say, very impressed with FD as a bank. I tend to phone late a night and so it's answered withing 2 or 3 rings.
  • joeyjimbles
    Options
    Love FD as a bank - I have current and savings accounts with them, used to have a CC but got rid of it after a BT to another company and didn't want the temptation. I know they'd accept me if I wanted to go back, but no need at the moment.

Currently being a good elf and going through my christmas list - you've inspired me, and I'm off to London on a girls shopping trip next weekend so want to have my plans sorted before I go.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport