Options
2»

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    because of there mistake I now have to pay 67 per month

You had to pay them £67 per month anyway. You're not making much sense.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    sorry if the post is a bit confusing to clarify the original mortgage was taken through northern rock for a total of 115k in total 90k was for the house and 25k as a loan for improvements the house sold for a 100k but took the remaining 15k with me when I call to settle the amount I paid 10k hence why I asked 4 times now I have 5k over 9 years left to pay

This doesn't make complete sense as the unsecured loan would have had to be interest only to make those figures work. After you sold up, the loan should have been turned into an unsecured loan and repayments calculated so that the loan would be repaid over the term of the new loan.

I posted earlier, but now you have confirmed the lender is Northern Rock, I will repeat:

The interest rate on unsecured loans left over when the mortgage is paid back increases. You can in all probability find a cheaper loan provider elsewhere. This would reduce your monthly repayments.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • darthmaul71
    Options
    thanks silvercar
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Good points but if he's been to the ombudsman it may be a bit late for that?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A redemption (settlement) figure would have to be provided in writing to be valid. The call centre operator wouldn't be in a position to do this instantly on the basis of a phone call.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 April 2017 at 10:33AM
    Options
    A legally binding settlement figure?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 April 2017 at 10:33AM
    Options
    Lets hope so, you made a good point so hopefully OP can use that in a response.
  • jlaw4
    jlaw4 Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    A legally binding settlement figure?

Yes. I work for Natwest and we do them verbally all the time. They are legally binding and have a period of time they are valid for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure