I Want To Be Mortgage Free!

Options

Comments

• Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well something amazing happened today! I got a leaflet from tombola website in a parcel that had been delivered saying if you register you get £5 to play bingo with (I didn't have to register a card or deposit any money) so I thought why not give it a go! Well I only won £150!! I withdrew it straight away to my paypal account and will have to see if it does arrive in there but I really hope it does so that I can make another overpayment to the mortgage! I think the last time I won any money was £2.56 on the Euromillions a few months ago (The jackpot was about 90 million!) so that shows my lack of luck really! Lol!

Have a lovely day everyone!
    Jess x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Jessy103
    Options
    The usual mortgage payment has gone out today which includes a £50 overpayment so the new balance is £69,158.60. I got my £150 winnings from tombola bingo so on Monday when all my DDs have gone out I will make an overpayment of £158.60 to round it down. I have ordered the shopping for the next two weeks and it was under £100 again! Yay! All my Christmas shopping has been done and wrapped up ready to roll! I just have Christmas cards to write and send.
    OH gave the good news that he will be getting a bonus this Christmas but doesn't know how much. I'm hoping enough to pay some off the mortgage and then abit left over to go toward a holiday in Devon (My favourite place in the country, I'm trying to convince OH to move there but he is very much a Yorkshireman!!).

Have a great day!
    Jess x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Belated excellent news on the winnings!

You're so organised with all your Christmas presents bought and wrapped! I've bought a grand total of one so far (and a couple of bits for DH).

Good news about the bonus too - and a great balance, spending some on a holiday. I love Devon and Yorkshire... basically anywhere that isn't the south-east!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fab work with the free Tombola winnings :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Jessy103
    Options
    Thanks Madvix! I was really surprised I won anything to be honest! I started Christmas shopping in September so that I spread the cost instead of spending a load of money out in one go. It was all recorded on a spreadsheet so that's how I stayed organised!
    I love Devon and would love to live by the sea one day. I do love Yorkshire but sometimes I would like some nicer weather!! I don't think I've ever been down to the south east for a holiday, I will have to give it a go! I'm sure it's lovely (just abit expensive?!).

Thanks Kittenkirst it''s not something I usually do but will look at doing these deals more often as long as you don't have to deposit a ton of money first!
  • Jessy103
    Options
    I made the overpayment today for £158.60 so my new mortgage figure is £69,000! Getting there, slowly but surely!
    They always ask me when I call to make an overpayment now where the funds are from and so I told him the truth and said 'I won on the bingo!' The bloke on the other end thought this was hilarious! I am always tempted to say I pimped out DH! Lol!
    Counting down the days until DH gets paid so I can make my next payment!
    Having a problem with one of my survey websites which is very frustrating. Went to get £10 from the website and I usually have it paid into DH's paypal account as I didnt have one. I set up one last week so chose to try and pay it into mine. Well they only went and de-activated my account because they thought somthing dodgey was going on!!! They didn't seem to take into the account that the paypal email address I was trying to pay the money into was the same email address that my account with them is set up with!!! After emailing them and explaining the situation I'm hoping they will re-open my account and I won't have lost all my points! If you have done these surveys you'll understand how long it can take to get enough points to withdraw some money from them!

Have a great day everyone and keep warm!
    Jess x
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Jess, that's very frustrating about the survey site - it wasn't VO was it? I changed my email address with them once and they deleted all my points. Suffice to say, I never went back to them!

Love that your bank ask where the money comes from - surely a chance to be super smug at every OP!!?! :D I know I would be!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Jessy103
    Options
    Hi Madvix! It was opinion outpost but luckily they've sorted it today and I was able to withdraw £10.50, which was in my paypal account a few minutes later. They apologised for the inconvenience so I won't hold it against them! I don't think I know VO, is it any good and if so will you give me the full name please?

I know it makes me laugh when they ask because I always wonder if someone admits to doing criminal activity to pay off their mortgage!!! I'm sure criminals would be buying flash cars and holidays not making overpayments! Lol! Usually I just say from budgeting our wages and now you say it I do feel quite smug! Hehe!
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done on the progress. I didn't know mortgage companies asked you where you got your OP money from. Is that normal? I can understand for large payments, like 10K's paid often but for smaller amounts I'm surprised at. I guess I make my OP's online so never actually talk to anyone at the bank lol
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• Jessy103
    Options
    Hi lippy. My mortgage is with natwest but I don't know if others do it or not. I have to call them to make an op as I don't have a current account with them so I can't do it online. I might ask them next time why it's any of their business! Maybe they look at me overpaying and think she must be dodgy to keep wanting to overpay on her mortgage instead of spending money on crap she doesnt need like 'normal' people do! Lol! X
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure