PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• MaryB - right at this moment and I am obviously following all the stuff about Putin having civil defence drills etc and, by now, I'm fed-up to the back teeth and way beyond.

So the Cold War is obviously back with us then:(:mad::(:mad:.

I don't know what to say any more - other than I personally want Out .....I am just so p*ssed off with the human race right now that I do not want to know imo.....
  • If you felt a major disruption (name your own) was about to happen, what steps would you take?
    Here are a few of mine:
    Fuel up cars
    Top up water supplies.
    Fresh fruit and veg (the kind that keeps a while without refrigeration)
    Do laundry
    Wash hair
    Buy chocolate...stress reliever...very important
    Check on children and encourage them to get ready
    Charge all phones etc
    Top up fuel for emergency stoves
    Check med supplies
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 29 October 2016 at 6:40PM
    Was in £land earlier.

As the cashier was scanning my purchases, the "Is the customer over 18?" question popped up on the till display.

The culprit?

A packet of wallpaper paste.

How do they think I'm going to misuse/abuse wallpaper paste :huh:

Maybe they think I'll sniff it through a rolled banknote, like cocaine. :D
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :D I reckon they think you're Bill Posters (Jnr) and that's why you wanted the paste. Obviously, the walls of the land have to protected from juvenile desperados armed with buckets of paste.

In an earlier version of my life, when I was a politically active anti-poll taxer, I was no stranger to the art of fly-posting. The best one I ever did was an occupied police box - pasted it right over the door so's he couldn't miss it when leaving. Such fun.:rotfl:

I've obviously channelled a disturbance in the force because I felt obliged to buy some cans in Liddly this afternoon. Sausages & beans at 35p a can and spaghetti hoops at 15 p a can. All longdated til 2018 and now in the armageddon cupboard. Have also added some more corned beef to the stocks.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mila, the last thing I'd do would be the laundry... I seem to spend my entire life doing laundry! So mine's usually pretty much up to date, and what isn't done, could probably wait until after Ragnarok...

What would I do in the face of imminent disaster? I'd ring my mother's carers & check that they were aware & well prepared; I do know they have back-up generators, boilers etc. and Mum herself has a well-stocked - well, I can't call it a store cupboard, it's a more of a store wardrobe. She survived WW2 & rationing, she's not taking anything for granted! I'd make sure my vehicle was fuelled up, though my preferred option here is bugging in as we're quite well situated in many ways. I'd contact the two Offspring currently living elsewhere & make sure they had cash, food & water available and were aware of the kind of problems they might expect to encounter where they are; I'd like them to try to get back here, but DS1 would - undoubtedly & quite rightly - want to get his girlfriend out of Town first. Another Offspring is on the verge of wandering off, but he's only going 4 miles and he & his young lady will be even better situated in any likely disastrous scenarios than they would be here. They've grown up with a certain amount of tin-hattery going on around them so they're not starting from scratch.

Phones can be charged by solar if the power's out. But in most disasters I'm aware of, the mobile networks have gone down or been shut off, hence I still have - and use - a landline. Also a wind-up radio, and clocks. We have plenty of fuel for our assorted heating & cooking solutions, and live close to a reliable source of clean water though I also have options for disinfecting/filtering if there were cause to worry about its purity. We have reasonable food stocks as a matter of course, which are rotated to be used by date order. We'd be bound to run out of something, though - but we'd cope. And we won't run out of jam/marmalade/jelly until approximately 2050...

The one thing that does worry me is DD2's medication; she's tried to do without it once, & it was a horrible ordeal. We've not had an opportunity to build up a stock of it, either. I should probably see whether it's possible to buy some in, and what it's shelf-life is...though I know she doesn't want to take it long-term, and nor does her doctor want her to, so she'll have to come off it sooner or later anyway. But preferably not during a disaster...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D I reckon they think you're Bill Posters (Jnr)

Maybe I should change my Username. :)
  • oceanspirit
    oceanspirit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Definitely something in the air, GQ. Just topped up choc powder :p, bottled drinking water and various packet and tinned food.

Thriftwizard, OH has nicked my solar powered radio but I'd not thought of a clock - don't have a watch and rely on clock/radio in bedroom, cooker in kitchen and phone when out and about. Thank you for mentioning it, have put it on the list to buy asap.

Mila, what a great list. Couldn't believe the number of people with no mobile phone charge when a predicted storm took out rural electricity lines a couple of winters ago. We'd charged everything up prior to the storm in readiness so were ok for the 3 days the power was off.
    Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • I think I would also try to can the meat in my freezer if there was time. I do have a generator for the short term.
    A solar cell phone charger is now on my need to buy list. I still have a landline but the phone depends on electricity.
    I'm slowly building up my prescription med supply.
    We live two block from the river. It's fed by natural springs so that's good. Of course everyone else in town would be down there too. We have a way to clean the water.
    I have money at home.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I don't keep much meat in the freezer in winter because of power cuts.
    I need to get a windup clock.
    I was floating around Zerohedge last night reading about how much gold Russian and China have... makes you think eh?
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Morning, Mar.

A small battery-powered clock would run for years on a couple of AA batteries, plenty of juice to see you through powercuts. I'm using a C@sio time cube which was purchased on the same day as my 18th birthday present. Which means it's been chugging along for over 30 years now, great little product.

I read ZH, too. There's an old joke about the 'golden rule' - those that have the gold make the rules. Except a more modern version would be substituting 'oil' for 'gold'. Although middle eastern countries have been buying lots of the yellow stuff with the proceeds from the black stuff.

:) I have been considering my stockpiles and have decided to stock up on leaf tea and tea bags (since reading that import costs of tea have gone up 50% recently and this is liable to be passed on to us, shortly).

I will be buying up some olive oil, also, as the harvest was poor and they don't grow it over here. Close attention will be paid to BB dates but both of these products are pretty forgiving.

The branch of my family which lives in Europe had a chance to liberate quite a bit of tea from retreating British troops at the start of WW2. This was out in the hinterlands and they were able to keep themselves and the city cousins over there supplied for the duration. Well, you can't let essential supplies like tea fall into enemy hands, can you?:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills