No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries in December

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,979
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I did manage to resist the Elemis TSV, took myself off to the Countrywide store instead and spent the equivalent amount on a new bird feeding station, 4 new bird feeders and lots of expensive bird food, well rewarded as in less than 15 minutes there were lots of "diners" visiting. For the first time since my operation I have managed to spend some time in the garden today, I really enjoyed it, but in spite of wearing gloves my nails are wrecked. I have loads of new colours to try, must go and have a play I think.

Big hugs to all that need them and huge congratulations to Emma via VALM, hope the new bedroom furniture is all that you hoped for, and well done for that very :money:way of stocking up on your HG Elemis. Those of us who have bought when perhaps we shouldn't, perhaps we should be thinking out some diversionary tactics for the next few months, like we used to be encouraged to do at Weight Watchers to stop the evening snacking.:rotfl:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Well done to those of you who have posted your lists, I think that is quite brave.

I bought nothing in November but has bought 3 new eye shadows from Max Factor this month. I bought the liquid ones since I think they last longer on the eye lids and I have now thrown away 1 old eye shadow. Having spent over £15 I got a free gift containing a black mascara (5.3ml), a gorgeous nail varnish (mini size), a full size pink lipstick that lasts forever on the lips and an eye shadow that I planning to sell. I haven't bought any make up this year apart from 2 mascara's that came with magazines so I felt this was ok.

I went though my bag with nail varnishes yesterday to throw away some of those to replace 5 nail varnishes I received as a birthday present a while ago. The lids on all 5 were stuck so couldn't open any of those so will bring those into Boots to ask for a replacement. Sadly my all time favourite nail varnish which they no longer make is now used up and I have never managed to find another one in that shade of pink.
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • 1 UU, 1 IN and 1 GA today. I used up my Elizabeth Arden Foundation and bought another to replace it.

I gave away a bottle of Grace Cole Hair Therapy shampoo, 238ml because it does nothing for my hair!

Massive hugs to Hermia xx
    Decluttering 2015: 2162/2015
  • Survived GunWharf with just one IN 200ml Molton Brown skin balance which was half priced and I am nearly out of it. Also purchased from The Kipling store but that is for a different giving up challenge;)

Oh please whisper what you bought in the Kipling store very quietly to me - I love Kipling bags (if you hadn't already guessed).
    Hermia wrote: »
    Hello. I am joining again. Last month was a bad month for me in that I bought some Philosophy stuff, the LIB advent calendar and the Estee Lauder make up artist colour collection. I wondered why I had gone off the rails and then I realised. My mum died recently and this is my first Christmas alone. She always used to make me up a stocking of bath/body products. As soon as I remembered that I realised that I have sort of been buying the presents for myself. So, I won't be hard on myself and I do like what I bought, but I definitely have to stop this as I need to save money and declutter as I want to move next year. I will try and use up at least ten items this month.

Big hugs to you - the first Christmas without someone close to you is always the hardest. Enjoy what you have bought and I hope they bring you lots of happy memories of your Mum as you use them.

I am afraid I have an imminent IN to confess to - it hasn't arrived yet but I am owning up now. I have been admiring the Bare Minerals Spark a Trend Light Show palette:

http://www.bareescentuals.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-BareEscentuals-Site/default/Product-Show?pid=60500

- it has been out of stock at feelunique and the UK BM website. WELL...I looked on Asos yesterday and they had it on offer for £27 instead of £45 so I am afraid in a moment of weakness I placed an order. My (flawed) reasoning is that it was meant to be as I don't look at Asos v often. It will be my Christmas treat as Mr KM refuses to buy me any beauty items as he thinks I have too many.
  • VALM wrote: »
    Thanks to you and everyone who passed on positive thoughts for Emma. She passed with an 88% pass mark. She did brilliantly and looked formidable. She will be grading again in three months for her Ju Jitsu brown belt.

Forgot to add in last post - many congratulations to Emma. s0819.gif
  • emsjune78
    emsjune78 Posts: 569
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Lol, I'm just trying not to dwell too much on how much money I have tied up in that stash.

Reading that list it I can see how my tastes have changed over time - haven't bought anything in the Body Shop for many years - and whatever possessed me to buy banana scented shower gel and body butter is beyond me. Also haven't bought anything in Lancome for many years but have a ton of Lancome cleaner as they always had it in their GWP offers. And since I am a lazy minx who usually grabs a few extra minutes in bed in the morning rather than put on make up and is then too lazy to cleanse before bed, the cleanser tends to last me a long while.

Its interesting to note how much of my stash has come via special offers. Even ignoring all the sample / travel sizes which make up a good slug of my collection and were pretty much all from offers, I know a decent amount of the full size stuff came on special offer too.

I grew up poor and seem to always be suckered by a bargain now - like I think I can only justify buying the nice things I can afford now if I get it on a deal. The fact it is only really a good price if I actually NEED it seems to escape me.

Anyway, I've put a block on my two most tempting toiletries sites tonight - no accidental shopping at L'Occitane and REN for a while. Will start putting all the tempting emails I get from various sites in my spam folder. It's time to get serious about getting this under control.

Have you thought of maybe ebaying some items or GA as Christmas presents etc? There is also Give and Makeup if you are feeling like you're about to be engulfed by the stash or there's items you know you won't really use. Its a lovely list, I enjoyed reading it, maybe I'm a toiletry voyeur nowadays :rotfl:
  • emsjune78
    emsjune78 Posts: 569
    PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Wow Miromir well done on selling all those items, that's fab and I'm sure the extra money and space comes in handy at this item of year!

Big hugs Hermia its eerie how we do some things subconsciously, brain knows what we need sometimes without us actually thinking it I guess. I hope you still manage to have a lovely Christmas, I'm sure you've lots of happy memories of years gone by with your Mum.

Well done to Emma VALM, sounds like she did brilliantly, you must be very proud.

Kiplingmonkey that Bare Escentuals pallette looks divine, I'm so jealous! Agree it was totally meant to be :D

I have a UU today - Anotomicals Help The Paw hand cream - lasted literally another two weeks cut open as there was so much stuck in the tube. WBA - v nice and really cheap, bargain. Moving onto a L'Occitane Mango mini next.

Another to declare is Dove Beauty Bar - this isn't quite finished but OH is using it alone as although its a quarter moisturiser etc I still found it dried my skin eventually.

I also just remembered that I got a shower creme in Morrisons on Saturday before my little TBS splurge so thats Morrisons Orchid White Shower Creme 400ml as an IN - meaning I've bought 1900ml of shower gel in December so far :eek::eek::eek: How funny, it was a very good price :o
  • emsjune78 wrote: »
    Have you thought of maybe ebaying some items or GA as Christmas presents etc? There is also Give and Makeup if you are feeling like you're about to be engulfed by the stash or there's items you know you won't really use. Its a lovely list, I enjoyed reading it, maybe I'm a toiletry voyeur nowadays :rotfl:

Thanks for the link - I saw it previously but couldn't remember where. It does say the toiletries are for women and children, maybe a child might quite like banana scented body wash! I can't picture me ever using it but I would hate to just throw away.

I do sometimes GA products as presents, Mum's had some of the nice generous sample sizes from Clarins before. Haven't ever tried ebaying to sell (only to buy) but keep meaning to as I have some under/unused handbags I'd like to sell too.

I know what you mean about reading people's lists, enjoy reading them - gives me ideas (only a good thing if I can wait until I need something to follow up on the idea mind you.....)
  • rogueylawyer
    rogueylawyer Posts: 626 Forumite
    edited 3 December 2012 at 8:48PM
    Evening all, and hugs to all that need them. I'm a bit wobbly tonight as well.

Hermia, take care of yourself, it's just what your mum would have wanted and would have done herself.

Valm Congratulations to Emma, you must be thrilled

Indiepanda you made me giggle with the Catholic guilt, but I think it's true! I'm hoping my qualification means a wage increase. I can no longer stand staring longingly at OS's Molton Brown stash without getting some of my own, but I'm definitely on more of a Body Shop wage!

Just a quick report of 3 UUs:

Scholl deep moisturizing foot cream
    Head and shoulders anti dandruff shampoo apple fresh 10ml
    Head and shoulders anti dandruff conditioner apple fresh 10ml

The head and shoulders smelled lovely, which is good as I absent mindedly sniff my hair a lot (god help me if anyone ever recorded me at my desk at work). The Scholl cream was lovely and moisturising but not very scented. It also required me to wash my hands after using as it was so thick. WMBA but have lots of other creams to use up first.
  • moromir
    moromir Posts: 1,854
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Just an aside but has anyone tried Yves Rocher products? Thoughts?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure