Can my dependent 17 year old move out without parental permission?

Options
moggypants
moggypants Posts: 118 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
My 17 year step-daughter has tonight declared she wants to move in with her boyfriend and his family (which they have groomed her for for the past few months, and which we have dreaded for months).

Can we legally object to this, as she doesn't have her parents permission, especially as she is dependent on us all (her Mum, Dad and myself), tax credits and child benefit are claimed as she is a full-time student.

As you can imagine, we are all distraught.

Please help someone - we're desperate! Thank you x

Comments

• jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    i thought you could legally move out a 16 so not sure
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • londonsurrey
    londonsurrey Posts: 2,444 Forumite
    Options
    She can legally move out. She can't marry without parental consent until 18.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    moggypants wrote: »
    My 17 year step-daughter has tonight declared she wants to move in with her boyfriend and his family (which they have groomed her for for the past few months, and which we have dreaded for months).

Can we legally object to this, especially as she is dependent on us all (her Mum, Dad and myself), tax credits and child benefit are claimed as she is a full-time student.

As you can imagine, we are all distraught.

Please help someone - we're desperate! Thank you x
    She can leave without your permission. You can continue to claim the benefits for a short time. As the money from the benefits is supposed to be spent on her that will eventually stop and she gets nothing.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • whitewing
    whitewing Posts: 11,852 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Do his parents actually know from you all that you are not in agreement for this arrangement?
    :heartsmil When you find people who not only tolerate your quirks but celebrate them with glad cries of "Me too!" be sure to cherish them. Because these weirdos are your true family.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to say but yes she can leave home if she wishes.

Childline

Age 16
    - You can leave home with your parents' consent, or without it if you are leaving an abusive or neglectful situation.

Age 17
    - You can leave home without your parents' consent.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • moggypants
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    She can leave without your permission. You can continue to claim the benefits for a short time. As the money from the benefits is supposed to be spent on her that will eventually stop and she gets nothing.

I assume her boyfriend's parents will want to claim the benefits if she is living with them, that's why I hoped her Mum and my partner would have to give permission for as it's something they would have to agree too.

We saw somewhere that as a dependent 17 year old, if she left without permission, she would be classed as a runaway, but as with all google searches, we can't entirely tell if they're the law of the UK, even if it was a co.uk. web address.

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.
  • moggypants
    Options
    whitewing wrote: »
    Do his parents actually know from you all that you are not in agreement for this arrangement?

They must know we're not in agreement with it, as we're not keen on her sleeping over, and she no doubt moans about her 'unreasonable' parents not letting her sleep over more than once or twice a week. x
  • jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    Options
    I assume her boyfriend's parents will want to claim the benefits if she is living with them, that's why I hoped her Mum and my partner would have to give permission for as it's something they would have to agree too.

We saw somewhere that as a dependent 17 year old, if she left without permission, she would be classed as a runaway, but as with all google searches, we can't entirely tell if they're the law of the UK, even if it was a co.uk. web address.

is this about the money and not about your step daughter ? cause twice youve mentioned it like it would be a great loss you ?
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 April 2012 at 12:47AM
    Options

Not going to happen. They do not have parental responsibility. They will get no support. You will get it until she applies for the help in her own name. Once she starts getting help then your benefits will stop but that will take months.

edit: You will continue to get all the benefits for 8 weeks. Then after that it is up to you. You can continue to claim and buy things such as clothes and other needs for your daughter to the value of the benefit you get or you could give her the cash and you can still receive the benefits on behalf of her. If you have another child the amount you need to prove you are spending on her to keep the child benefit component is only £13.40 a week. See here for a bit more.... http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/start/who-qualifies/child-lives-someone-else.htm
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Northern_Princess
    Northern_Princess Posts: 298 Forumite
    edited 15 April 2012 at 12:30AM
    Options
    Yes she can. But, the grass isn't always greener on the other side....

I would be distraught as well if my daughter chose to move out just yet and she is nearly 17, so I can imagine your pain. I think I would let her go without argument and let her know the door is always open for her to return at any time.

The Benefits section here has knowledgeable people on it, perhaps post there and they could advise what she would be entitled to money wise?
    Never look down on anyone unless you are bending to help them up.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure