New Enterprise Allowance scheme - My story

Options

Comments

• CuriousWorker
    CuriousWorker Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2013 at 9:29PM
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I ask for a projection of income - then use that figure for 3 months - 3 months time I ask for 3 months self employed income and expenditure - repeat every 3 months until I have 1 years self employed figures - once I have 1 years figure I use the last years figures to calculate the coming years benefit. Most benefit departments should use a similar method in calculating benefit entitlement for the newly self employed.

I also have a problem with this. What is the point in asking for the projection when you have only just launched your business and have no previous data to base your projection on?? Essentially, the projection is nothing more than a complete guess, just an estimate, and it could be completely inaccurate and totally different from actual takings. Then, if your actual takings don't match your projection they assume that something isn't right. What a stupid way of working it out. Please, someone tell me, is there actually any logic whatsoever in the way the government works in this country or are they really this incompetent??
  • Andy2013
    Andy2013 Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    A "projection" is exactly that, its an estimate and yes you can say its a guess but how can a startup business have anything other than an estimate at the very start.

Your moaning for the sake of it now, I agree with the NEA moans, im the same , but your last point has no real substance.

Any bank in the world will ask a new business for a projection and as long as the start up has done its homework then the figures should be achievable with hard work.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    CuriousWorker- Is there any reason that you wont just come off the NEA scheme (and JSA) and get the ball rolling on your own? That's what i have done.
    I waited 3 months for them to refer me/re refer me/c*ck up, and then i just knew (after having written my business plan, and attending self-employment workshops) that i could do it alone.

As Andy2013 (and others) have experienced, the mentoring is pretty much non-existant, so no point relying on that.

If i were you, i'd just consider going it alone.
  • bellkat
    bellkat Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sorry to hear that things aren't going too well for some on the NEA scheme, but for me it's been a really positive experience.

A lot seems to depend on the area you live in, or how much or little the JC advisors know about the scheme.

It was reading this thread that encouraged me to apply for it, so I hope people won't be too put off going for it. Yes, the mentoring can be hit and miss, but the £65 a week certainly comes in handy!!
    New Year New You Challenge - 13.5lbs/10lbs

Spring Into Spring Challenge-2.5lbs/10lbs

Slimming World Total Loss - 2 stone 3lbs
  • pinkypoopydoo
    Options
    Projected income is a hugely important part of business planning. Yes, to an extent, it is grasping at figures out the air, but it should be done in an informed manner - if you have researched your business and competitors properly, you will be able to make a fairly good educated guess as to what you can expect your earnings to be.

If you are in need of any kind of stock at all, to make your business viable, whether it be in the form of raw materials for production, consumables or even just envelopes and paper, projections of sales/income levels are required to ensure you're not left with nothing to work with.

Yes, in a number of ways, NEA is sadly lacking. I think a lot of us went into this expecting a good deal more support than we have received, however, I have found all the government departments to be friendly and helpful, from the local council office, when I needed to re-apply for council tax reduction when I signed off JSA to the tax credits people.

I now have no doubt that I could have done this without the NEA help, but it would have been a far bigger struggle, not just financially but also mentally, if I hadn't done it this way. Despite the lack of contact from my mentor, there's always that thought in the back of my mind that Business Gateway accepted my plan as viable. It's a mental boost when I'm having a rubbish day.
  • pinkypoopydoo
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    CuriousWorker- Is there any reason that you wont just come off the NEA scheme (and JSA) and get the ball rolling on your own? That's what i have done.
    I waited 3 months for them to refer me/re refer me/c*ck up, and then i just knew (after having written my business plan, and attending self-employment workshops) that i could do it alone.

As Andy2013 (and others) have experienced, the mentoring is pretty much non-existant, so no point relying on that.

If i were you, i'd just consider going it alone.

How did the first week go? :)
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Pinky, thanks for the invoice template :)

It went really well thanks :) I am working Mon, Wed, Thur & Fri with the agency (3-4 hours each day) and then i do paperwork, invoices and buy in supplies on a Tuesday.
    So, most of my work is done during the day, which is nice.
    Saturday mornings are when i get the rota for the following week, and that generally entails some emails to/from the agency and different clients.

I am enjoying being my own boss! It's much harder work than i had initially thought when i first ever considered being SE (about 18 months ago), but the rewards (not financial!) are well worth it.
    Tax Credits and housing Benefit things have been easy to sort (Phew!!) too.

How about you-how are things going?
  • pinkypoopydoo
    Options
    Not bad. Nine weeks in, and I have enough regular work to pay the basic bills and have some left over for treats/paying off old debts. :) Can't really ask for much more than that! I have one main client, and I'm hoping to get an increase in hours with them after the schools go back, which I'll be delighted at.

I've managed to work around the school holidays fairly easily, which I'm really chuffed about - the kids have settled into the new routine really well, and I've not had to look for childcare for them. The odd occasion I've needed to visit a client, a neighbour has looked after them for the day.

I still have the odd hour of utter despair, when I'm convinced it's not going to work longterm, but I'm feeling a lot happier and settled now I've had a couple of big invoices paid to me, and some positive feedback from clients. :)
  • CuriousWorker
    CuriousWorker Posts: 20 Forumite
    edited 6 August 2013 at 9:21AM
    Options
    NEA_OUT wrote: »
    What an unbelievably stupid quote CuriousWorker, you have no idea how a business works if you think that.

Last week I went to a bank for a loan and even though I have almost 10 months of good figures they still ask for a projection, as does any bank in the world.

Things like that make my blood boil, get real :eek:

What an unbelievably stupid response, you just said yourself you have 10 months of good figures which means you actually have something to base your projection on. Yes, I did do a projection and if things had actually gone like planned then maybe I could have hit those targets... but if you had read my posts you would know that the whole thing has gone NOTHING AT ALL like I planned because of things that were beyond my control (thanks to NEA). I know I went a little over the top with those last couple of posts but I'm seriously getting more and more (Text removed by MSE Forum Team) off and more and more disheartened by the day with this scheme.

You can research your market all you want but by no means does it mean that you are more likely to be on target with your projection. Some people are lucky, some people are very lucky, some people are unlucky and some people are very unlucky - that's just the way it is. My projection was based on things going as planned - which they haven't thanks to all the messing around I've had to put up with. I started considering this business over 5 years ago, went on course, have had previous experience of it, etc. yet now I've actually tried to do it it has been nothing more than severely problematic thanks to having to stick to all the rules and follow everything by the book and now my council are questioning why my (extremely minimal, obviously) takings are not in accordance with my projection when they would have been if everything had gone as planned.

Oh, and by the way, I have helped in the running of family businesses (my own family) for the last 20-odd years - yes, I do know how businesses work but we have never had to put up with any of this faffing about before, there has never been any need to.
  • CuriousWorker
    Options

Is it possible to do this once you have been on the scheme for over a month? Seems a little awkward considering I can't even get hold of the NEA advisor in my area - her phone is always off, she's never in the office and she never bothers responding - she may aswell not be there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure